'18 TN OT Ryan Winkel

well, at least we tried with the big dogs. let's go ger depth. and work on the big dogs mext year.

We need OL prospects with some dog in them

This can't be said enough. You're exactly right. We need some mean monsters and this guy is huge. I have to believe that we have everything we need now to bring or get the best out of players.

Totally disagree that he is a project. Watch his film a few times. First off he is huge at 6’7, 300, and no bad weight. 2nd he is very smart thus Yale offer. Watch how he takes angles and is quick off the ball. He also can move and is very mobile. Watch how strong he is when he punches with his hands. And he has a mean streak and plays through the whistle. The not being technically sound is bogus. And look how much bend he has. Rivals rankings are a joke, calling him a project is a joke. The kid can play and has enormous upside. We will be fortunate to get him. Unreal that he is being classified as some of the slow footed and bad shaped recruits that Jones had.

Reactions: 11 people
Totally disagree that he is a project. Watch his film a few times. First off he is huge at 6’7, 300, and no bad weight. 2nd he is very smart thus Yale offer. Watch how he takes angles and is quick off the ball. He also can move and is very mobile. Watch how strong he is when he punches with his hands. And he has a mean streak and plays through the whistle. The not being technically sound is bogus. And look how much bend he has. Rivals rankings are a joke, calling him a project is a joke. The kid can play and has enormous upside. We will be fortunate to get him. Unreal that he is being classified as some of the slow footed and bad shaped recruits that Jones had.

truth...they dont want to do that though. They just check the stars real quick and then decide he is a "project" lol. As if they didnt learn with Jordan Young. Or all the others over the years.

Can't wait to see Trey with another year in the weight room. I hope he is pushing himself, he could be super special. GBO!!!!

Keep in mind 99.9% on ithe posters have never seen anyone play a snap other than watching a highlight video which makes them a scout

Reactions: 1 person
ryan winkel was born and raised in knoxville, tenn., and grew up watching tennessee football, but the vols didn’t show much interest in him until last week. That might have made the phone call he received friday even more exciting.

Pruitt stopped at the 6-foot-6, 286-pound winkel’s school friday to inquire about him. On friday afternoon, just before winkel headed to mississippi state for his official visit with the bulldogs this weekend, pruitt called him to deliver the news.

“very surprising. I’m ecstatic,” said winkel, who’s ranked by 247sports as the no. 967 overall prospect and no. 88 offensive tackle in the 2018 class. “one of my coaches said that he might be calling, so i was pretty happy. “just couldn’t believe (it). I mean, i grew up cheering for tennessee all my life, and to get a phone call like that, it was pretty awesome.”

asked whether he had dreamed of getting an offer from the vols, winkel said, “i guess you could say that.” he said he grew up attending tennessee home games at neyland stadium, and he “can’t even remember” how old he was when he went to his first game there. “it was really young, though. I’d say i’ve been to dozens,” he added. “i mean, i always dreamed of just playing anywhere in the sec. But i’m going to take my visits and see how i feel after all of them.”

“right now, it’s tennessee, mississippi state and arkansas,” winkel said, adding that the three teams are “tied” at the top of his list. “(pruitt) just said he really liked my size,” winkel said. “they need some more offensive linemen, and he thinks they can really utilize me. He was about to hop on a plane, so it was pretty short and to the point. “(friend) just asked me about my size and (said) that he’ll be in touch and all the general stuff. … he said he’ll be down early next week.”

Reactions: 10 people
Good stuff, Sir Swan. Kudos for the update. I went to CBHS so I keep up with their teams all the time. Hope we land Winkel and Norton. :good!:

Some on here are calling him a project but I don't think he qualifies as that. He already has the size, 10-15 more pounds is nothing, and he has that meanness that can't be taught. I've read his technique is a little off but easily fixable. Tatum and Niehaus came in 45-50 pounds under where they needed to be, they still aren't where they need to be in this conference. There is a reason he has had several P5 offers roll in of late. I definitely think he is a take and honestly I believe that opens the door wide open for Norton in the next class.

Reactions: 2 people
I would like to grab this one. He does look to play aggressive and can move. Be good to bring in for another OT option.

Some on here are calling him a project but I don't think he qualifies as that. He already has the size, 10-15 more pounds is nothing, and he has that meanness that can't be taught. I've read his technique is a little off but easily fixable. Tatum and Niehaus came in 45-50 pounds under where they needed to be, they still aren't where they need to be in this conference. There is a reason he has had several P5 offers roll in of late. I definitely think he is a take and honestly I believe that opens the door wide open for Norton in the next class.

He has everything you want in an OL. No clue why other schools are not all over him. He’s a much better prospect than the guy riding around with that fat bleep country bumpkin singing leg humping signee. And really I don’t care. He’s a heck of a prospect and hopeful he’s a Vol.

Sounds more like a bad dealership name. Come on down to Bill Norton Ford!
Not to be confused with (mikehatmakerjimcogdilldodge)

That's funny, I went to Halls with a Mike Hatmaker....good dude.

It was a rather obvious yet necessary question. A former Knoxville native and a lifelong Tennessee fan finally received a scholarship opportunity with the Vols. So you’ve been waiting on this one for a long time, huh? (Heavy sigh) “You have no idea.” Ryan Winkel, a 6-foot-6, 293-pound offensive tackle from Christian Brothers, grew up attending Tennessee football games with friends and family. He vividly remembers “watching the Alabama game and Terrance Cody blocking our field goal and us losing. That was a soul-crusher.”

“My high school coach and called me into his office and said coach (Jeremy) Pruitt is on the line. I was in shock. I was speechless,” Winkel said. “Then we talked for a little bit and he was like, ‘We really want you here. We’re looking for one more offensive lineman and you’re that guy.’ Winkel’s jaw hit the floor. A Tennessee boy who bled orange and white now with a Tennessee offer? “I had no words. It was pretty awesome,” he said. “I immediately texted my parents and called my dad. I was in shock.”

The ecstasy hasn’t quite subsided yet, but Winkel insists he won’t just jump onto Tennessee’s commit list without doing his due diligence first. This is "a business decision." He officially visited Mississippi State this weekend, and had a great time. He’s set to go to Arkansas next. All Winkel knows right now is that he’s SEC bound. “Next weekend I’m going to Arkansas and then I’ll have to weigh everything after that. I already know all about Tennessee, the program, the school,” he said. “I’ve always said that I want to play somewhere in the SEC. That’s what I want. That’s what I’ve worked for.”

Winkel still has a visit to take should he choose to checkout Tennessee officially before NSD. He’s not sure about his schedule yet, though, and wants to talk with Pruitt and Will Friend first. Tennessee’s new offensive line coach is set to come see Winkel sometime this week.

“It will depend on how the conversations with coach Friend goes and what all he has to say. We’re going to talk all about that when he get here. That will all get done sometime this week,” he said.

-VQ

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back