'18 TN CB Shatar McClay (UT commit 4/13/17)

"Tennessee is really, really high on McClay. He's lower-rated right now simply because of his academics, but the Vols love him. Could play cornerback or receiver. Sounds like there's a real chance he might have to go the juco route."

Callahan

Reactions: 2 people
have confirmed that Shatar is in the boat. I do believe there are some grade concerns there but he is thought highly of, many think he will blow up over the next few months.

-Austin Price

Reactions: 7 people
Well, sounds like another that Butch and company got in on first. If he is really that good, hopefully his grades improve. He's lower ranked because of grade concerns were Callahan's words.

"Man, it's my home team. They gave me my first offer," McClay told Volquest. "They've been very supportive through this whole entire recruiting process. I'm just staying home. Putting on Tennessee."

McClay was offered by former Tennessee secondary coach Willie Martinez, but was recruited by area coach Walt Wells. "I love the coaching staff. Butch Jones. I love him to death," he said. "Tennessee, the atmosphere. It's great. I feel like it's the best place for me to play college football."

McClay also held offers from Western Kentucky, Kentucky and Indiana, with interest from from South Carolina, Oregon and others.

McClay is an athletic cornerback who said his strengths are "toughness and leadership." "I'm very competitive," McClay said.

McClay has never been on campus but hopes to make his first visit for the spring game next weekend. He also plans to build on his relationship with new Tennessee secondary coach Charlton Warren. "Me and him talked a few times," he said. "I think he's a good coach. We'll be able to build on a better relationship now that I'm finally committed."

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
McClay was primarily a wide receiver and defensive back at Northwest this past season and the team's kick and punt returner. The Vikings finished the season 6-5 and secured its first playoff appearance since 2009. McClay was named to The Leaf-Chronicle/Legends Bank All Area Football Team after totaling 13 touchdowns. He had 36 receptions for 746 yards with a 19.6-yards per catch average. He also finished with 21 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble as well as two punt return touchdowns.
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/04/13/northwests-shatar-mcclay-commits-tennessee/100443958/

For Northwest High School's Shatar McClay, basketball would have been his chosen sport. A two-sport star at Northwest as a freshman two years ago, McClay was in love with the 94-feet sideline and 50-feet baseline. But it was on a Clarksville outdoor basketball court that life changed for McClay.

During his freshman year, McClay said he got into an altercation during a pickup game that eventually resulted in him being the target of gunshots while McClay sat on his front porch. Unharmed, McClay's mother sent him to live with his aunt in Austin, Texas. It was there, while playing football at Del Valle High, that McClay hit a growth spurt both physically and stylistically on the football field. And when the 6-foot-1, 180-pound athlete returned to Clarksville, participating in the National Playmakers Academy's football camp at Austin Peay last May, he was catching the eye of some big schools.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/24/vikings-mcclay-making-most-second-chance/89306868/

Reactions: 2 people
I will just say this for the time being, not many players have went to UT out of Clarksville but the ones that have proved to be legit. Let me tell you this guy will move up in the rankings he has plenty of potential. All indications are he has turned around his academics troubles and is doing much better in the classroom. This guy can play, I promise this guy can play. GBO!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back