'18 GA S Trevon Flowers (Tennessee signee)

I think it is smart to take best available over taking a player at a position who will never possibly contribute with our limited # situation.

That way next season we can go out and sell playing time and get possibly a couple top 100 S's.

I think it is smart to take best available over taking a player at a position who will never possibly contribute with our limited # situation.

That way next season we can go out and sell playing time and get possibly a couple top 100 S's.

Dooley recruiting says "Wassup?"

agreed we shouldn't take someone just to take them. just seems odd that there were a couple we were looking at before, who were all good enough then, but now we aren't.

The Peach State native is a two-sport athlete at Tucker High (Ga.), playing safety and shortstop for the Tigers. Flowers is a legit 2018 MLB Draft prospect and signed a LOI to play baseball at Kentucky last November. However this fall, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound athlete played football for the first time since the eighth grade, recording 21 tackles, 4 TFLs and an interception in six games. The itch was enough for Flowers to give football a serious second thought, and then the offers started coming out of left field this month.

“I was thinking about playing football for other schools but I chose to sign. I signed in November, but my coach told me that by December or January football coaches would start really looking at me because the season would be over and he was right,” Flowers told VolQuest.com. “That’s what happened. So I’m just reconsidered all my options. Everything is on hold.”

“Since I had signed an LOI, I couldn’t really talk to them that much,” Flowers said. “I couldn’t really get recruited by them, but as soon as I got out of that, that’s when they really started paying attention and talking to me.”

In last last several days, Flowers has spoken with Tennessee coaches Charles Kelly and Chris Rumph. The Tucker safety is set to take an official visit to Tennessee this weekend. “(Tennessee) said they like duel-sport athletes. I’m a ballhawk,” Flowers said. “I got good eyes, plus with baseball, I have good hands.” On his visit, Flowers will meet with both Jeremy Pruitt and new baseball coach Tony Vitello, who Flowers said “knows all about me.”

It’s paramount for Flowers to be able to play both sports in college, calling it “the biggest priority.” He has that opportunity with the Vols, and the Wildcats may be offering a similar chance. He was back up at Kentucky this weekend on an official visit — for both baseball and football. He met with head coach Mark Stoops, and said, “They want me. I’m just waiting on the offer, but it’s coming. They want me bad.”

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
I talked to a coach at Tucker who was also a player there, and went on to UGA and did a stint in the NFL as Pract squad. He simply made it real plain. He said as you know we keep plenty of talent here. This kid came out after not playing since 8th grade and took the starters job and was elite level special. He went on to say the kid has really good speed and is an elite athlete. In the end he said he has the ability to be a very special player.

Reactions: 3 people
It has to be a football scholarship

Knew this but cannot understand why? Never researched. Can somebody explain. We had in the past several track and field and baseball players playing football. Gault, Holloway, Helton and the list is large.

So what is the deal. NCAA?

I talked to a coach at Tucker who was also a player there, and went on to UGA and did a stint in the NFL as Pract squad. He simply made it real plain. He said as you know we keep plenty of talent here. This kid came out after not playing since 8th grade and took the starters job and was elite level special. He went on to say the kid has really good speed and is an elite athlete. In the end he said he has the ability to be a very special player.

Nice. I figure if he went through the trouble of getting out of his LOi with Ky baseball that he is serious about TN. Also we seem to have moved on from nikko hall about the same time we started the process with him

Knew this but cannot understand why? Never researched. Can somebody explain. We had in the past several track and field and baseball players playing football. Gault, Holloway, Helton and the list is large.

Most the baseball scholarships are partial I believe so football trumps them. Probably keeps teams from being cheap

Most the baseball scholarships are partial I believe so football trumps them. Probably keeps teams from being cheap

Thanks. Just not sure. Seems that if he signed Baseball Scholarship paperwork since we had a reduce number of players. I think we will have about 75 vs 85 players on scholarship then he could earn a football scholarship and it would not count against a football scholarship until he was in school and on the team as a walk-on that earned a scholarship.

Are we not allowed to have 85 scholarship players. Attrition will create a void.

Schools were taking advantage of this, they would bring in a player who played another sport, put him on scholarship for said sport and use him on the football field, thus they would have more scholarships to give. Even a basketball player who plays both ways has to be on football scholarship.

With attrition we have how do you make up the 10 Scholarships? Walk-ons? I guess. Can they be awarded scholarships to make up the shortcoming of 10. 75 - 85.

It appears the NCAA is penalizing the teams for transfers, early outs to the NFL, Medical Hardships (family and Player) early grads (not so much) but jeez.

Appears to be no work arounds I like the limitations.

Here's the actual rule. Basically, if you play football and something else you count against football. If you play basketball and something else (other than football), you count against basketball. I believe its to keep schools from using other sport scholarships to get extra players for the higher profile sports.

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

And here's their diagram of the rule

Legislative Services Database - LSDBi

Schools were taking advantage of this, they would bring in a player who played another sport, put him on scholarship for said sport and use him on the football field, thus they would have more scholarships to give. Even a basketball player who plays both ways has to be on football scholarship.

Remember when schools could give as many football scholarships as they wanted ? Didn't Majors give about 100 his first year at Pittsburg? Many schools, Alabama and others, would give about 100 each year to keep other schools from getting good players. The NCAA started putting limits on the total number who could be on football scholarships to create competition and give the schools who did not have large budgets a chance to compete. I think they started out with a total of 120 players on scholarship. That number has steadily been reduce to the current 85. The 25 per year has also been reduced as schools like Ole Miss and others would sing a bunch and weed the non-producers out during their second year. There have been a few occasions where the NVAA has allowed now the 25 a year. UAB was allowed to sign 50 its first year back when they reinstated football a couple of years ago. Pardon me for trying to reduce this to as few words as possible, but I have to go play golf.

A walk on? A baseball scholarship is basically the same thing as a football scholarship. What a way to get him on this football team, if true? Great thinking by our staff, if they thought of it that way?

Last edited:
With attrition we have how do you make up the 10 Scholarships? Walk-ons? I guess. Can they be awarded scholarships to make up the shortcoming of 10. 75 - 85.

It appears the NCAA is penalizing the teams for transfers, early outs to the NFL, Medical Hardships (family and Player) early grads (not so much) but jeez.

Appears to be no work arounds I like the limitations.

We will have more than 75 guys on scholarship. We have 75 right now with at least 8 more spots left for this recruiting class. Could we lose 8 more guys to attrition? Sure. Historically, we have averaged about 78 scholarship guys on the roster going into the season.

A walk on? A baseball scholarship is basically the same thing as a football scholarship. What a way to get him on this football team, if true? Great thinking by our staff, if they thought of it that way?

As stated above, football scholarships count first.

Actually, Bama is the only one that can skirt that rule through the whole "every descendant of anyone that played under Bear gets a full ride."

As stated above, football scholarships count first.
Not if it is a walk on. One of my neighbors friend played basketball at Bethel University with that scholarship, and played football as a walk on. That didn’t count against a football spot.

Not if it is a walk on. One of my neighbors friend played basketball at Bethel University with that scholarship, and played football as a walk on. That didn’t count against a football spot.

It's not allowed at the FBS level. I think even at FCS it's ok.

Thanks for all the information...from each of you posters...I was just wondering if there were any workarounds and I guess their is not.

The new rules are somewhat confusing with backcounts in or out. I have seen posts stating we could sign 28 total and 21 total. 28 with 22 next year. 21 with the limit of 25 next year. 23 seems to be the number, but 22 thrown out there and 24 thrown around.
Backcounts are ok? But Blueshirting out? Grey shirts Out? 25 regardless is the limit?

Thanks for all the information...from each of you posters...I was just wondering if there were any workarounds and I guess their is not.

The new rules are somewhat confusing with backcounts in or out. I have seen posts stating we could sign 28 total and 21 total. 28 with 22 next year. 21 with the limit of 25 next year. 23 seems to be the number, but 22 thrown out there and 24 thrown around.
Backcounts are ok? But Blueshirting out? Grey shirts Out? 25 regardless is the limit?

this. they got tired of all the tom foolery and have cut it back to a hard 25.

VN Store

Back