'18 GA RB Lyn-J Dixon (Tennessee transfer)

If what you say is true then Heupel needs to get rid of Jerry Mack. If the only way to turn our RBs into higher caliber performers is to bring in someone else, then Mack isn’t doing his job.
A kid that does not stick at 3 different schools and now you are saying the position coach is the problem? Go figure.

Howard and Henderson were Fullbacks, but in that offense, the Fullbacks got some carries. Davis was the primary Tailback (and a true freshman). I think Wilson was the #2 TB and Powell the #3. Davis was injured for the Sugar Bowl, so those two were the Tailbacks for that game. I remember Panuska more as a returner, but don’t really remember him getting meaningful carries at RB. Don’t remember Miller.

Yeah, I could not remember if Howard actually shifted over to TB before Powell took over or not. I did think Panuska stepped in at TB before Powell got his shot after I THINK coming to UT from William & Mary to run track and then got the shot at FB too. I will never forget the crushing blow his long run was in the bowl. If you ever need a laugh, go back and listen to the pregame with Keith and Frank foretelling our inabilities to put pressure on Testaverde. Right.......

If what you say is true then Heupel needs to get rid of Jerry Mack. If the only way to turn our RBs into higher caliber performers is to bring in someone else, then Mack isn’t doing his job.

This makes no sense. Dixon is clearly a head case this is 3 schools in less than a calendar year. 2 he couldn’t even make it to 1 game for

This makes no sense. Dixon is clearly a head case this is 3 schools in less than a calendar year. 2 he couldn’t even make it to 1 game for

I said IF. I don’t think what that poster I responded to is correct. I think it’s just as you said here. My point is, IF his insane theory were somehow true, then Mack wouldn’t be doing his job. But I do not believe that is the case.

A kid that does not stick at 3 different schools and now you are saying the position coach is the problem? Go figure.

Guess you have a hard time reading. Pay attention to the poster I responded to. The post was insane. In no way do I believe what the poster said about why the staff brought Dixon in. Mack is a very good coach. Hence the reason I used the word IF. Guess you missed that part. Go figure.

Not sure when Heupel said this, but this was in an article posted early when the news broke.

“Since he’s gotten in, he’s in a race to understand and learn what we’re doing as fast as he possibly can. He’s been able to flash in some of our situational stuff that we’ve done. For him to go out and operate and function in everything that we’re doing right now, he’s probably not at that point.

Tennessee Running Back Leaving Volunteer Program | Rocky Top Insider

I said IF. I don’t think what that poster I responded to is correct. I think it’s just as you said here. My point is, IF his insane theory were somehow true, then Mack wouldn’t be doing his job. But I do not believe that is the case.
I like how you take every situation and wax poetically about how a coach should be fired IF the absolute worst case scenario were true.

1661168712431.gif

Yeah, I could not remember if Howard actually shifted over to TB before Powell took over or not. I did think Panuska stepped in at TB before Powell got his shot after I THINK coming to UT from William & Mary to run track and then got the shot at FB too. I will never forget the crushing blow his long run was in the bowl. If you ever need a laugh, go back and listen to the pregame with Keith and Frank foretelling our inabilities to put pressure on Testaverde. Right.......

You may be right…they may have at least tried moving Howard to TB after Davis got hurt, before settling on Wilson/Powell there. Howard was a versatile FB.

I do recall that Powell was an afterthought who didn’t play much until about the Vandy game.

Guess we should also get rid of CRG as his tough coaching style ran off several highly ranked recruits last year?

I knew what you were saying. I think the other poster didn’t type an insane theory to be serious. They love flaming you on here and it is comical at times. I know you don’t mind it.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
You may be right…they may have at least tried moving Howard to TB after Davis got hurt, before settling on Wilson/Powell there. Howard was a versatile FB.

I do recall that Powell was an afterthought who didn’t play much until about the Vandy game.

Howard actually moved to TB in the 1986 season, as Davis’ knees continued to be an issue. If you recall, early in the season against MSU Howard became the feature RB in the I formation and ran for about 180 yards against the bulldogs. Only problem is we couldn’t stop Don Smith, and that was the game where Randy Sanders had to sub in at QB and had Terrence Cleveland open for the game winning TD in the back of the end zone and threw it 20 feet over his head.

Jim Miller was the primary blocking FB in 1986.

If we're being honest here; we all knew in our gut how this would end based off this picture.

He never projected the right energy from the start. In practice he was just going through the motions it seemed.

When Huepel was showing him how to carry the football correctly, and showing him a true freshman Sampson as an example, I knew something was up.

Howard actually moved to TB in the 1986 season, as Davis’ knees continued to be an issue. If you recall, early in the season against MSU Howard became the feature RB in the I formation and ran for about 180 yards against the bulldogs. Only problem is we couldn’t stop Don Smith, and that was the game where Randy Sanders had to sub in at QB and had Terrence Cleveland open for the game winning TD in the back of the end zone and threw it 20 feet over his head.

Jim Miller was the primary blocking FB in 1986.

That’s right. Howard was more of a running fullback than blocking fullback anyway, which served him well in getting to the next level. Believe he started some in Tampa.

Davis is a sad story. As a true freshman, he looked like a future all American. His knees just ruined his career. I wonder if he would’ve made a quick and full recovery with today’s technology.

It was fun cheering for star RBs from Nashville (Davis), Knoxville (Cobb), and Morristown (Stewart) back in the day.

If we're being honest here; we all knew in our gut how this would end based off this picture.

He never projected the right energy from the start. In practice he was just going through the motions it seemed.

When Huepel was showing him how to carry the football correctly, and showing him a true freshman Sampson as an example, I knew something was up.
I just saw a dude with no smile. Was hoping he'd help, he didn't.

Honestly didnt give it another seconds notice.

VN Store

Back