'18 GA QB Trevor Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTR though, Lawrence's high school seems to run an offense kinda like ours. I doubt he'd be unable to play in our offense by any means.

This kid can play in our offense. Butch doesn't have change anything.

You don't have to be Randall Cunningham to run this O...

Reactions: 1 person
If we get some good WR coaching I agree

You can look at it two ways:

1) It's Dobbs inconsistently throwing the ball where our WR's can't make plays.

2) It's Coach Z's fault that he's not getting any production from our WR's.

You can make any assumption that you want too but IMO, I think it's a little bit of both. I'd give Coach Z a pass from last year. We relied heavily on the run game and had success with it against most teams so most of our WR's had to block or they was taken out of the game where Butch likes to rotate his WR's around. Hopefully this years team will have more of a balanced offense where we don't have to rely on the run game. That way we can give our WR's more chances to make plays. Dobbs will have to work on his passing game though in order for that to work.

Great wide recievers go up and get the football. We didn't see much of that. Peyton didnt always throw it perfectly but guys went and got it. Subbing them like hockey players is goofy and doesn't make sense. CZA is responsible for his units production and this is yr 4 coming up. Nothing to brag about

Also the middle of the field was wide open last yr and we didn't use it enough imo. Had way to many sideline passes for no gain

Reactions: 4 people
Our passing game eerily reminds me of the Clawfence for some reason. Just a bit too goofy and ineffective; the passing game hasn't been good enough--and completely agree that we didn't use the middle of the field enough last year.

If Butch could land Lawrence then he should change his offensive philosophy to suit TL's skill set.

He will. It's sad that in year 4 our fan base doesn't understand how diverse this offense can be. Unfortunately we don't have a QB that can sling the ball. This offense ha been handicapped since CBJ has gotten here for one reason or the other.

While reading posts in this thread, it makes me think what makes the system Butch runs his system. The player that seems to really fit this system is the QB, the rest of the the players could fit any system. So does does that mean if you get the number one pro style QB, the coaches are the ones who would have be able to adjust.

Our passing game eerily reminds me of the Clawfence for some reason. Just a bit too goofy and ineffective; the passing game hasn't been good enough--and completely agree that we didn't use the middle of the field enough last year.

Don't you use that foul language on here, sonny!

Seriously tho, I just threw up in my mouth a bit with the mention of that. I have flashbacks of Denarious Moore looking completely perplexed about what was going on after a Crompton pass bounced off his facemask.

This kid can play in our offense. Butch doesn't have change anything.

You don't have to be Randall Cunningham to run this O...

You have to be a threat to run, not that you have to run, but at least pose a threat. No one will take TL serious as a runner. EJ, on the other hand, is dangerous.

TL also said about a month ago that he prefers learning under center to get prepped for a chance at the next level. With that said, I think qb rosters play a huge role here.

Everything is supposed to come together this year. I'll reserve my opinion until after I see them play. If we can't get better production out of the WR's and with a better blocking line and Dobbs finally able to make the throws, I want somebody gone

You have to be a threat to run, not that you have to run, but at least pose a threat. No one will take TL serious as a runner. EJ, on the other hand, is dangerous.

TL also said about a month ago that he prefers learning under center to get prepped for a chance at the next level. With that said, I think qb rosters play a huge role here.

TL would be excellent in any offense. Butch has had two really bad offenses during his coaching career, one was with a pro-style QB (Worley) and one was with a DT QB (Munchie Legeaux).

All the others, both pro-style (LeFeavour, Kay, Collaros) and dual threats (Dobbs) have done really well in this offense...

You can look at it two ways:

1) It's Dobbs inconsistently throwing the ball where our WR's can't make plays.

2) It's Coach Z's fault that he's not getting any production from our WR's.

You can make any assumption that you want too but IMO, I think it's a little bit of both. I'd give Coach Z a pass from last year. We relied heavily on the run game and had success with it against most teams so most of our WR's had to block or they was taken out of the game where Butch likes to rotate his WR's around. Hopefully this years team will have more of a balanced offense where we don't have to rely on the run game. That way we can give our WR's more chances to make plays. Dobbs will have to work on his passing game though in order for that to work.

The biggest issue with the passing game right now is no doubt in my mind, QB play. Dobbs has a lot of strengths to his game, but passing is one of his weaknesses for sure. I will say this, I think the staff did an excellent job of adapting the offense to play to his strengths.

The biggest issue with the passing game right now is no doubt in my mind, QB play. Dobbs has a lot of strengths to his game, but passing is one of his weaknesses for sure. I will say this, I think the staff did an excellent job of adapting the offense to play to his strengths.

I'll never understand how Baylor can plug in a 4th string qb and continually connect on deep balls, yet Dobbs has had the same receivers for 3 years and he can't connect on even one of them

I'll never understand how Baylor can plug in a 4th string qb and continually connect on deep balls, yet Dobbs has had the same receivers for 3 years and he can't connect on even one of them

He connected on a couple but they dropped the damn ball. I guess it surprised them when it hit them in stride.:)

Absolutely understand the sentiment, but Baylor's 2015 team YPA was only 3 yards more than Dobbs. Dobbs actually had a higher completion percentage, too. The perception is drastically different, though.

Baylor runs like 4 different plays and plays against typically inferior competition. When they play legit squads they usually get exposed. They're players also get exposed in the NFL.

Butch's offense though a spread still has many pro principles.

Reactions: 3 people

Not really true. I watched their offense struggle with their 4th string QB and it lead to them losing to Texas

Everything is supposed to come together this year. I'll reserve my opinion until after I see them play. If we can't get better production out of the WR's and with a better blocking line and Dobbs finally able to make the throws, I want somebody gone

Don't worry,since he will be a senior, it will be Dobbs :)

You only have to be a threat for the read option. Our offense is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back