'17 MS RB Cam Akers (FSU commit 12/27)

Kelly has breakaway speed, but I'm not sure if he's built to take the beating between the tackles. He's perfectly talented enough to be a part of our offense, but I think we need more of a traditional power back on the roster.

I think Akers can be that, as well as just being an all-around elite prospect.

I think we're behind Ohio St right now, but no doubt in my mind Tennessee has made a strong impression on this kid.

5'9 215lbs can take a pounding but one back won't get it done in this league all year.

Reactions: 5 people
Where are some examples of Kelly's breakaway speed? High school tape? Just haven't seen it yet. Not saying he doesn't have it, but would love to see it on tape.

Reactions: 1 person
Where are some examples of Kelly's breakaway speed? High school tape? Just haven't seen it yet. Not saying he doesn't have it, but would love to see it on tape.

He had one run against UK that stood out to me where he reversed field after having nowhere to go. Granted, it was against UK. I don't remember whether they had backups in or not at that point though.

I don't have time to find the clip right now, but I'll check it out later and maybe put it up for you. He looked just as fast against them as Kamara looked, at least.

The players have been wearing speedometers on their equipment this springs, if I'm not mistaken Dobbs said JK recorded the fastest speed.

Against the 2nd strings of teams we're abusing?

Or in the spring game?

Sorry, but we don't know what he can do with first team reps yet.

I've watched how he hides behind blocks them just pops out of a pack. You can think what you want but Kelly looked good as a freshman and isn't slowing down at all.

Reactions: 2 people
You've gotta take blocking and receiving into the equation as well. If Akers shows up and isn't willing/able to be a great pass blocker right away, he'll lose snaps to other RBs even if he's the better runner.

He's no Mark Levine. :)

On Kelly, I'll just say that regardless of which string he faced, he brought it and showed explosiveness and burst. Not easy to do for any back cold off the bench. You didn't get the same from Darrell Scott against UTC. He may not be a viable starter but I'd lean heavier in his direction than unknown player to be named.

The two runs against Kentucky where Kelly's speed impressed me can be seen here at 11:15 and 12:39. I'm not sure if UK had backups in or not though. IMO, he looked just as fast in those runs as Kamara did on his run here at 3:15

The two runs against Kentucky where Kelly's speed impressed me can be seen here at 11:15 and 12:39. I'm not sure if UK had backups in or not though. IMO, he looked just as fast in those runs as Kamara did on his run here at 3:15

Watching that I noticed something... If the linemen would use their hands to block we would have an unstoppable running attack.

Watching that I noticed something... If the linemen would use their hands to block we would have an unstoppable running attack.

Don't want an unstoppable running attack. If we have that we will never be able to recruit elite passers or elite receivers.

Isn't that the logic I've read on some other threads?

Reactions: 2 people

Thanks. Yeah, his run at 11:15 is very impressive and Kamara-like.

If he truly has the highest top speed on the team, he could be better than Kamara, actually. Kamara has elite acceleration, but his top speed isn't quite there.

Of course, I say that and he will go run a 4.3 at the Combine or something next year.

Thanks. Yeah, his run at 11:15 is very impressive and Kamara-like.

If he truly has the highest top speed on the team, he could be better than Kamara, actually. Kamara has elite acceleration, but his top speed isn't quite there.

Of course, I say that and he will go run a 4.3 at the Combine or something next year.

It's almost like he gets tired on those runs and slows down after 25-30 yards.

He is a solid college complementary player, but idk about him at that level.

Kamara would start at a lot of other big name schools. He is 5'10 215 and has really good speed. He has really worked hard to add muscle and weight. He definitely can be more than just a complimentary back.

Kamara would start at a lot of other big name schools. He is 5'10 215 and has really good speed. He has really worked hard to add muscle and weight. He definitely can be more than just a complimentary back.

I said at that level meaning NFL... I don't think he is someone good enough to leave early. That's my point

VN Store

Back