'17 MS RB Cam Akers (FSU commit 12/27)

A VQ poster asked if UT has a real shot with Akers...

"Tennessee has a very real shot with Akers. Tennessee has really impressed him and he loves the idea of being an early enrollee and taking over for Hurd and Kamara.

Ohio State, Georgia and Ole Miss are three programs very much involved as well. The Buckeyes feel like they are in there with Tennessee. I wouldn't sleep on LSU or FSU, either. They are making a strong run at him as well.

But, yes Tennessee is very much in play there right now."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 13 people
You'd think we should easily land a premier RB in this class with the promise of wide open playing time next year.

Reactions: 1 person
Forgive me, but I think you're severely understating the abilities of John Kelly

Not at all. Kelly will play and get his share of touches for sure. Akers can come in here and take over Hurd's role from Day #1. He's an every down back with an elite skill set...

Not at all. Kelly will play and get his share of touches for sure. Akers can come in here and take over Hurd's role from Day #1. He's an every down back with an elite skill set...

I know this may take us off topic, but do you not believe Kelly can be an every down back? Not bashing ya, purely asking for your opinion.

Forgive me, but I think you're severely understating the abilities of John Kelly

Agreed..Kelly starts next year assuming Hurd and Kamara both leave although neither is a lock to leave early. But if both do then it still opens up a lot of PT for incoming freshman RB's.

Agreed..Kelly starts next year assuming Hurd and Kamara both leave although neither is a lock to leave early. But it both do then it still opens up a lot of PT for incoming freshman RB's.

It seems like the best player has always started since Butch has been here. I don't know if Cam can beat out Kelly, but I'd sure like to see the competition.

It seems like the best player has always started since Butch has been here. I don't know if Cam can beat out Kelly, but I'd sure like to see the competition.

It's a great problem to have and hope we land him and one more top RB in this class. Preferably one of the elite state of TN RB's.

I'll say this... the 2017 draft will absolutely be LOADED with RBs. Some of the elite may still decide to wait their turn or decide it'd help them get a higher draft pick, and more money in 2018.

The question then becomes, does Hurd go? Kamara? Both? Either way, we will soon be replacing some serious production and talent and be able to offer playing time much sooner than later.

This x 1000. Kelly looks like a more violent, slightly less smooth version of Cadillac to me.

And you've determined this from his limited mop up duty playing time as a freshman and the two hand touch intermural game this year called the O&W game?

I hope Kelly is the 2nd coming of Chuck Webb, but we've not seen anything yet to prove it. If indeed he is as talented as many of you guys want to believe, I hope he again gets limited touches in 2016 so that Akers or some other 5* type HS RB believes there's nobody left after Hurd / Kamara leave as that's the best scenario for UT to land a stud RB.

Not only do we have Kelly, but we will still have CFA as well. Kid isn't going to roll over and let everyone else take the spot easily.

I could see Hurd going to the draft. But I think Kamara is more likely to stay. He would be a lower rated RB in a draft full of elite RB's

And you've determined this from his limited mop up duty playing time as a freshman and the two hand touch intermural game this year called the O&W game?

I hope Kelly is the 2nd coming of Chuck Webb, but we've not seen anything yet to prove it. If indeed he is as talented as many of you guys want to believe, I hope he again gets limited touches in 2016 so that Akers or some other 5* type HS RB believes there's nobody left after Hurd / Kamara leave as that's the best scenario for UT to land a stud RB.

I said that's what he LOOKED like to me when he ran. I didn't make a comment about his level of production or who it was against.

You've gotta take blocking and receiving into the equation as well. If Akers shows up and isn't willing/able to be a great pass blocker right away, he'll lose snaps to other RBs even if he's the better runner.

Kelly has breakaway speed, but I'm not sure if he's built to take the beating between the tackles. He's perfectly talented enough to be a part of our offense, but I think we need more of a traditional power back on the roster.

I think Akers can be that, as well as just being an all-around elite prospect.

I think we're behind Ohio St right now, but no doubt in my mind Tennessee has made a strong impression on this kid.

VN Store

Back