'17 GA ATH Marquez Bembry (UT signee)

Justin Martin only did one season...Leonard Little back in the day, sure there are many other examples. I know Kamara's was his second academic year.
They have different rules to be eligible from JUCO depending on how you end up there.

If you fail to qualify out of HS I think you have to get enough credits at the JC to get an associates

IIRC Martin left high school early when it became clear he wasn't gonna qualify and got his GED and so because he didn't technically fail to qualify out of HS(because he didn't graduate) he could do just one year.

I could be completely wrong but I think that's how it works

sad_jon_snow.gif

It's not difficult to qualify for student athletes. It's merely a lack of effort. Apply yourself and you're a SEC player. It doesn't bother me he is going to JUCO. Hopefully he'll wake up and hit the books now.

Reactions: 3 people
They have different rules to be eligible from JUCO depending on how you end up there.

If you fail to qualify out of HS I think you have to get enough credits at the JC to get an associates

IIRC Martin left high school early when it became clear he wasn't gonna qualify and got his GED and so because he didn't technically fail to qualify out of HS(because he didn't graduate) he could do just one year.

I could be completely wrong but I think that's how it works
JUCOs have to a) get enough credits/hours, b) have a high enough GPA to re-enter D1 - I forget what it is, but it's like 2.5 or higher - which is higher than the minimum for high schoolers looking to enter D1.

Reactions: 1 person
Justin Martin only did one season...Leonard Little back in the day, sure there are many other examples. I know Kamara's was his second academic year.

Which is why I threw in the caveat that you'd have to make significant progress. Throwing out 2 extreme outliers (which I'm not even sure of the actually validity on) only proves my point more. Kamara was 2 years out of HS, precisely when you would leave JUCO, same for Kongbo I believe. The point was that you simply do not just hop into JUCO for a year, and that is true.

Which is why I threw in the caveat that you'd have to make significant progress. Throwing out 2 extreme outliers (which I'm not even sure of the actually validity on) only proves my point more. Kamara was 2 years out of HS, precisely when you would leave JUCO, same for Kongbo I believe. The point was that you simply do not just hop into JUCO for a year, and that is true.

As someone pointed out, Martin didn't even graduate high school...got his GED and still was able to fulfill the academic requirements in one season. Leonard Little played one season at Coffeyville before playing three at Tennessee. I'm sure some rules have changed since Little's time but in those days graduating HS early was rare so there weren't as many loopholes available as there are presently. Not even predicting that as likely for Bembry but Martin's academic level isn't unattainable.

Man that is very disappointing. He wasn't even believed to be on the radar as one to watch back around signing day. He must have really slacked off his final semester. Hope things work out for him. Certainly disappointing. One of the few DE recruits in that class I actually thought had some nice potential.

Reactions: 1 person
they can keep taking the test to see if they can get a qualifying score. Surely he didn't fail his last semester of school.

VN Store

Back