'17 FL OLB Shanon Reid (UT Committ 12/7/2016)

One thing that concerns me about Butch is his unwillingness to play the younger, more talented players. Fitzpatrick at Bama has been playing since his freshman year. I have a hard time believing that's warrior isn't one of the better options at safety and he never plays. Bituli never plays eother

How about Callaway? Returns a punt for a TD.....then isn't heard from

Reactions: 2 people
I don't remember. If so, he may be an exception. I just think of Warrior, Dobbs, DKjr as primary examples

I checked his stats. 39 games. He may very well be the exception, but it seems to me we had others start as freshmen in 2014 too...just can't think of who it would be though.

I checked his stats. 39 games. He may very well be the exception, but it seems to me we had others start as freshmen in 2014 too...just can't think of who it would be though.

Took a few games for Hurd to take over that year also. But 2014 was a little different too because the only talent we had were freshmen

How about Callaway? Returns a punt for a TD.....then isn't heard from

It was an electric return. But should he be the starting returner over Sutton or Kamara? He'll have his chance starting next year.

Warrior is a hard hitting safety. But he didn't know his assignments. He didn't deserve to start IMO. He has the skills but needed time to learn the plays.

I agree the staff favors seniority, but they'll play young guys too.

Reactions: 1 person
One thing that concerns me about Butch is his unwillingness to play the younger, more talented players. Fitzpatrick at Bama has been playing since his freshman year. I have a hard time believing that's warrior isn't one of the better options at safety and he never plays. Bituli never plays eother

I saw you bring up a couple of guys in your post after this like Warrior. Warrior was clearly not ready along with Osbourn. Those guys are talented but alsonome of the reasons teams could score on us at will. You NEVER wamt true freshmen out there starting in the SEC. It's just too much and too fast. There are exceptions to the rule but lots of growing pains come along with that.

Sutton played in 11 games his freshman year. He was 2013.

Pretty amazing that Barnett started/played in every single game of his UT career. No injuries...at least none that kept him out of games.

Not saying Callaway isn't talented but that's what you get when you take a chance on playing true freshmen. They will make a great play and then turn around and get burnt for a touchdown or fumble the ball. It's inevitable. They need time to grow and learn and mature especially in this league.

Reactions: 3 people
It was an electric return. But should he be the starting returner over Sutton or Kamara? He'll have his chance starting next year.

Warrior is a hard hitting safety. But he didn't know his assignments. He didn't deserve to start IMO. He has the skills but needed time to learn the plays.

Sutton and Kamara were hurt at the time. They had Smith returning punts over Callaway. Warrior would have been fine with experience. He flies all over the field and when he did play he racked up tackles. But having such little game experience led to that breakdown in SC. Had they given him more opportunities throughout the season, giving Abernathy rest throughout the game, that doesn't happen at SC

Just pulled up the 2014 freshmen class. It looks like Barnett was the only day one starter.

Edit: Aaron Medley was too.

I saw you bring up a couple of guys in your post after this like Warrior. Warrior was clearly not ready along with Osbourn. Those guys are talented but alsonome of the reasons teams could score on us at will. You NEVER wamt true freshmen out there starting in the SEC. It's just too much and too fast. There are exceptions to the rule but lots of growing pains come along with that.

I don't think they necessarily should have been starting, but I think playing and contributing is possible when they are clearly so talented. It hurt us later in the year because those guys were forced into games at key moments and hey had very little in game experience that they could have gotten throughout the season

Not saying Callaway isn't talented but that's what you get when you take a chance on playing true freshmen. They will make a great play and then turn around and get burnt for a touchdown or fumble the ball. It's inevitable. They need time to grow and learn and mature especially in this league.

Kind of like what Kamara, Dobbs, Hurd, etc did this year in some games? I get your point, but we had many upperclassmen make big mistakes this year as well. If they are better, play them period. JMO.

:hi:

It's not just about freshmen, just seems like it's a pattern. Why didn't Jones play until Butch was forced to? OL was terrible until in the 2nd quarter at Bristol when the line could not block anybody, Butch finally put Jones in and the line played significantly better and we scored 24 points that quarter. I'm not trying to be negative, it just seems that Butch trusts more in experience/seniority than talent in some cases

Last edited:
I don't think they necessarily should have been starting, but I think playing and contributing is possible when they are clearly so talented. It hurt us later in the year because those guys were forced into games at key moments and hey had very little in game experience that they could have gotten throughout the season

Throughout the season in all our big margin wins? That's the main problem. We never had a cushion to play more guys early. If we had played them early when they weren't ready, we may not have squeked out the wins we did.

Throughout the season in all our big margin wins? That's the main problem. We never had a cushion to play more guys early. If we had played them early when they weren't ready, we may not have squeked out the wins we did.

True, but Warrior could contribute even in tight games. He's a playmaker.

True, but Warrior could contribute even in tight games. He's a playmaker.

He made costly mistakes this year. He wasn't ready to be in tight games.

I'll add that I think Shoop should have dumbed down the defense once we were decimated. Then the young guys wouldn't have had so much to think about, and instead could just play.

Reactions: 1 person
He made costly mistakes this year. He wasn't ready to be in tight games.

I can only think of one and that was a costly mistake against SC. He also led the team in tackles in games that he only played a few minutes. Twice. Abernathy blew coverage too. So did Mosley, Foreman, TK etc. that was one play. Sometimes you go with talent over fear that they might make a mistake, right?

No...but over Josh Smith? Emphatic YES! Understood the cautious approach and Josh being the safe choice, but it was tantamount to Devrin Young. We could have used the threat at least and tho I support our coach, this particular mindset irritates me. Use your athletes! We've won a few games with the margin of a Berry or Sutton return...did we possibly lose one or two this season?

Ironically of the two, Smith had the fumble. So much for safe approach.

I can only think of one and that was a costly mistake against SC. He also led the team in tackles in games that he only played a few minutes. Twice. Abernathy blew coverage too. So did Mosley, Foreman, TK etc. that was one play. Sometimes you go with talent over fear that they might make a mistake, right?

I'm not talking about getting beat on a play. I'm talking about not knowing where on the field he's suppossed to be. There were multiple occasions that led to big plays against us. In his limited time, he was exposed more often than the other guys playing, which showed he wasn't ready for heavy playing time.

When the game slows for Warrior, he'll be a beast for us. I hope he's ready next year. He was quoted in HS that he didn't need to know the playbook; he just went out and made plays. I feel like that attitude may have carried a little over to here, where he can't get by simply outmatching his opposition.

VN Store

Back