'17 DE C/PF Zach Kent (UT commit 10/30/16)

everyone in the gym knows he's not going to shoot it.

Evans is 21/27 at the free throw line this year. Pearl was 14/41 in his entire career. Pearl never made a 3-pointer. They're at about the same level being goons, but I think Lew is stealthier than Steven.

So what does he do well?

Sets high screens. Handles the ball a lot without making a lot of turnovers. Hits free throws. Is capable of making 3s when ignored. Boxes out. Defends the biggest player that the opponent puts in the paint. Runs the court. Hustles. Plays on the perimeter and forces the opponent's low post away from the basket in man-to-man. Draws a charge or two every game when he plays more than a minute or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sets high screens. Handles the ball a lot without making a lot of turnovers. Hits free throws. Is capable of making 3s when ignored. Boxes out. Defends the biggest player that the opponent puts in the paint. Runs the court. Hustles. Plays on the perimeter and forces the opponent's low post away from the basket in man-to-man.

He's shooting 18% from 3 and he doesn't do any of those very well. My point is hopefully Kent can come in and be a competent version of him. He's only here for 1 year so it's not a big deal but the things that he does well can be done by a walkon on the end of the bench.

He's shooting 18% from 3 and he doesn't do any of those very well. My point is hopefully Kent can come in and be a competent version of him. He's only here for 1 year so it's not a big deal but the things that he does well can be done by a walkon on the end of the bench.

The walk ons are all 6'3" or smaller.

There's a small sample of 3-point attempts. But since Barnes sat him down because he passed up an open 3-point opportunity earlier this year AND he's hitting 79% of his free throws, he'll make 3s if left unguarded.

Sure, it would be better if he played like Karl Malone. But he's not close to being that level of a player. He's TN's best option playing the high post on offense and banging with the opponents biggest players on the defensive end. It's petty to make disparaging comments about him. It's fine to say he's going to struggle versus superior competition or it's too bad that TN doesn't have somebody better to fill his role, but there's no need to say that he shouldn't see the court and similar comments.

Reactions: 2 people
Evans is probably playing half as much if Fulkerson wasn't injured. But I appreciate that he's busting his ass. Too bad the other senior isn't working as hard as Evans is working.

Reactions: 2 people
Evans is probably playing half as much if Fulkerson wasn't injured. But I appreciate that he's busting his ass. Too bad the other senior isn't working as hard as Evans is working.

I will give him that. He doesn't have much ability but he doesn't lack effort like Hubbs. I have nothing against the kid but it speaks volumes about the current roster that he's seeing significant playing time

I will give him that. He doesn't have much ability but he doesn't lack effort like Hubbs. I have nothing against the kid but it speaks volumes about the current roster that he's seeing significant playing time

I agree. He's playing out of position. He'd be in a better situation if Alexander was further along.

TN is still a dumpster fire and I don't blame Barnes. Pearl lied, Cuonzo was thin skinned, butt-hurt, and had no appreciation for the opportunity, and Donnie lied and cheated. Those 3 former coaches and the two ADs are more to blame for this mess than anybody. Tyndall was a yuge mistake that set the program back several years.

From what I have seen on video this kids will never play more than 5 to 7 mins a game for the Vols. I hope I am wrong. But not nearly as good a basketball player as williams or fulky in High School.

From what I have seen on video this kids will never play more than 5 to 7 mins a game for the Vols. I hope I am wrong. But not nearly as good a basketball player as williams or fulky in High School.

A year ago people were laughing at the Fulkerson commit/signing. Who knows? Seems like is supposed to fill the high post spot for CRB. Not necessarily a mix it up in the paint type on offense. He could end up being a taller version of Evans.

I'm hoping CRB gets Walker and/or Pons.

I could be off base, but didn't you make a similar claim about Fulk or Williams when they l committed to Tennessee?

I agree. He's playing out of position. He'd be in a better situation if Alexander was further along.

TN is still a dumpster fire and I don't blame Barnes. Pearl lied, Cuonzo was thin skinned, butt-hurt, and had no appreciation for the opportunity, and Donnie lied and cheated. Those 3 former coaches and the two ADs are more to blame for this mess than anybody. Tyndall was a yuge mistake that set the program back several years.
Cuonzo says hello from sunny Cali, on the way back to the tourney again.

I could be off base, but didn't you make a similar claim about Fulk or Williams when they l committed to Tennessee?

you are off base. I did say that fulky needed a red shirt year to get bigger. Any I wish he had this year to work out and get bigger instead of recovering for a bad elbow injury. But we needed him this year. He is much more athletic that Zac.

you are off base. I did say that fulky needed a red shirt year to get bigger. Any I wish he had this year to work out and get bigger instead of recovering for a bad elbow injury. But we needed him this year. He is much more athletic that Zac.

Gotcha, sorry.

Looks more like the guy that played in Delaware in this game.
helps when the guards actually look for him.
He was virtually ignored in the first 3 games. Was really engaged in this one.
For those who want to watch the first part of the stream is the girl's game. Kent's game starts after.
Thanks for the link BTO.

Cuonzo says hello from sunny Cali, on the way back to the tourney again.

Cuonzo "made" it to the tourney with 3 1st round NBA players and got bounced in the opening round by Hawaii..they are 13-6 and only have 1 good win..at USC..which won't look that great come tourney time, the Trojans have lost 3 out of 4.

Cal is 13-6 and not projected to make the tourney, they would have to win 7 out of the last 11 or win the PAC-12 tourney

Reactions: 3 people
Evans is 21/27 at the free throw line this year. Pearl was 14/41 in his entire career. Pearl never made a 3-pointer. They're at about the same level being goons, but I think Lew is stealthier than Steven.

Pearl played his role very well, and really made some unsung plays. He also had a lot better supporting cast though.

Not saying the current team isn't anything to write home about, they're just young and undersized. The load on Lew is a little heavier than the load that was on Pearl, so in effect, Pearl was able to flow more naturally in the offense.

Lew has struggled, but is certainly coming along in the system.

VN Store

Back