'17 CA OL Kanan Ray

Yea I'd be surprised if he commits to us without visiting. My guess is we told him he's not a for sure take.

Never thought about that...guess it's possible we told him we wouldn't take his commitment right now.

Maybe he isn't a take, but all of the negative publicity certainly isn't helping our recruiting.

Last edited:
Never thought about that...guess it's possible we told him we wouldn't take his commitment right now.

I just don't understand the sense of urgency to commit 11 months before signing day if you have other places you've publicly stated you would like to see.

He hasn't been to campus as a recruit, and Tennessee hasn't seen him on campus, outside of his high school and family element. It's important to see for both parties. He said he wanted to visit before committing, and we likely would prefer he visit vefore committing. If he had any interest in us at all, I don't know why he wouldn't follow through with that visit and see what comes of it rather than making a decision in March before his SR year. It's not like he's running out of time.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't understand the sense of urgency to commit 11 months before signing day if you have other places you've publicly stated you would like to see.

He hasn't been to campus as a recruit, and Tennessee hasn't seen him on campus, outside of his high school and family element. It's important to see for both parties. He said he wanted to visit before committing, and we likely would prefer he visit vefore committing. If he had any interest in us at all, I don't know why he wouldn't follow through with that visit and see what comes of it rather than making a decision in March before his SR year. It's not like he's running out of time.

I don't understand what the hurry is either, but some programs will pressure recruits and tell them that they have a spot right now, but if they wait, then the spot may be gone.

Reactions: 1 person
Wonder if he still plans on making it in for the spring game?

Key question. This seems a lot like the Jaason Lewis recruitment. I don't think Lewis ever made it on campus, or if he did it was too late. Get this kid on campus and bust out the popcorn.

I am guessing we can be very selective at this position with a lot of young players. Tre Smith is obviously target #1.

Seems like a smart move. Commit and solidify a spot w the home state school. Test the waters at tennessee by visits over the next year. Once he has had more time to evaluate he can make his decision to stay with ucla or flip if we have a spot and he wants to play big boy football. I see this as a no lose situation he created.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back