'16 NC SF Jalen Johnson (UT commit 10/11/15)

I see more Mac than JP, simply just because Jalen can shoot the ball pretty well. JP couldn't throw a float into the ocean if he was standing on a pier, but he'd salute the hell out of it, IMO lol.

I loved watching JP shoot (when he was above the rim).

The recruitment of High Point (NC) Wesleyan Christian Academy shooting guard Jalen Johnson looks like it is beginning to wind down.

Jalen Johnson could make his decision soon.
He's taken official visits to Providence and Tennessee so far and admits he could be done.

"Honestly, I don't know when I'll decide," Johnson said. "I haven't set up any other official visits yet. I've just been taking some time to think about things ever since I got back from Tennessee on Sunday. It's possible that I could commit soon, but I don't know."

Providence had the first shot at the 2016 Rivals150 prospect and set the bar high.

"I really liked it," Johnson said. "I like the coaches a lot. They are really cool dudes. I feel like I really got to know them better. The players are really cool. They were all saying they want me to come be an impact player for them."

Rick Barnes and his track record developing players has Johnson intrigued.

"I really like their coaches," Johnson said. "Coach Barnes is a legendary, hall of fame coach. He told me he's worked with pros before and that if I'm willing to work, he said he can get me to where I want to be. The players there were really cool as well."

The 6-foot-6 athletic says he's torn between the two schools right now. He's also not ruling out the possibility of taking another official visit, this one to Florida.

"From what I've seen and what they have told me, they want to play uptempo and really get out and run, so I like that," Johnson said.

Alabama, Florida State and Miami have also been involved in Johnson's recruitment.

-rivals.com

If he decides soon without taking other visits you definitely gotta like our chances IMO

I hope this don't come off as a knock on Johnson, but with UF being the current consensus spot from the experts and him currently not having another visit set up with them. The interest there is 1 sided. And if it comes down to Prov and us, even as much as players like Cooley, our campus and CRB should win out.

I hope this don't come off as a knock on Johnson, but with UF being the current consensus spot from the experts and him currently not having another visit set up with them. The interest there is 1 sided. And if it comes down to Prov and us, even as much as players like Cooley, our campus and CRB should win out.

But Prov has made the tourney the last couple of years. Could be a factor..

It is quite sad that we can't close quicker with the guys we have been recruiting when you consider the competition. We are not recruiting against the type of schools that we will have to beat to be in the top third of SEC .That is where you will need to be have a good shot at NCAA most years. We are recruiting fringe top 250 guys for the most part. That is not a formula for success in this league. Who left on our board is a whole lot better than the type guys that will probably be available in the spring that have emerged their senior year? I would say the two bigs we signed last spring and Turner have more potential than the four remaining targets for this fall.

Hopefully next year will be different.

Reactions: 2 people
Yea, recruiting really has been a let down. Johnson is a step in the right direction.

It is quite sad that we can't close quicker with the guys we have been recruiting when you consider the competition. We are not recruiting against the type of schools that we will have to beat to be in the top third of SEC .That is where you will need to be have a good shot at NCAA most years. We are recruiting fringe top 250 guys for the most part. That is not a formula for success in this league. Who left on our board is a whole lot better than the type guys that will probably be available in the spring that have emerged their senior year? I would say the two bigs we signed last spring and Turner have more potential than the four remaining targets for this fall.

I don't see how you can classify Bone/Okogie/Fulkerson/Okogie/Johnson as fringe top 250 guys?

Reactions: 1 person

Nice post. Solid players this year, but nothing to make you say "wow". Johnson has the best offer list, so let's hope he picks UT

I don't see how you can classify Bone/Okogie/Fulkerson/Okogie/Johnson as fringe top 250 guys?

Bone and fulkerson certainly are and I also assume he was referring to Williams as well. Plenty fair to say they are fringe top 250 players. All three of those are 200-250 rated kids

Yes it's concerning we aren't closing quickly with kids with those ratings and more importantly their offer offer sheets.

Last edited:
Hell, I could sell you on Tennessee right now. My dads a sells man, it's in my blood :)

Hmm maybe we had the odd man out wrong the whole time, may not have been Fulk or Williams...

Yes I posted in this thread that I really like their chances of getting good news from Johnson. A lot.

I think they end up Fulkerson, probably Williams and I don't know about Okogie now. Think getting Johnson could possibly hurt their chances, very similar players.

-VQ

VN Store

Back