'16 KS DT Alexis Johnson (UT commit 6/16/15)

Obrien Is a RS Jr and nobody Saulsberry's career might as well be over already anyway. We'll be lucky to get a couple games out of him this season. Rumors are floating around that he may not play at all.

So for all intents and purposes, we're only losing Williams.

Yeah, pretty sure I read somewhere on here that Saulsberry would be placed on medical scholarship.

Makes sense... The gap by class in hige. We we basically had had to reevuild and start the whole DL out of of HS

Reactions: 1 person
I know rote already scooped me, but here's what 247 had to say about the offer:

Sophomore defensive tackle Alexis Johnson of Fort Scott (Kan.) Community College received a scholarship offer from Tennessee on Friday, according to 247Sports' Josh Edwards.

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Johnson — a former standout at Mount Zion High School in Jonesboro, Ga. — claims offers from at least a dozen teams, including Kentucky, Baylor, Louisville, N.C. State, Boise State, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State and Kansas.

He's expected to be one of the top junior-college prospects in the 2016 class.

-R. Callahan

Reactions: 7 people
"Tennessee offered junior college defensive tackle Alexis Johnson yesterday and he's planning to be on campus next Saturday for a visit."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 6 people
One of the elite junior college defensive tackles in the country is Alexis Johnson of Fort Scott Community College in Kansas. The southeastern native is a monster in the middle at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds.

He's a classic defensive tackle. Johnson has a massive body with his assets being power and strength. He's a load to handle, and also has great quickness off the ball.

"Tennessee just offered," Johnson said. "It feels great to get that offer. They have been on me for a long time. They have showed interest and recruited me for a while now. It's great that they have seen enough to offer me. The defensive coordinator offered me."

Johnson hasn't narrowed his growing offer sheet down yet, and has kept everyone even thus far. However, the offer from the Volunteers is an eye-catcher for him.

"It's a big-name program," he noted. "They play in the SEC, a great conference. They have a nice stadium and it's huge. They have over 100 thousand fans at every game. They go crazy for their team."

The Volunteers are wasting no time in their push for the lineman, hosting him on a visit in a week.

"They haven't sent much of a message," Johnson shared. "They just want me on campus to show off their program. I will take an unofficial visit on June 5 or June 6. I actually planned it a day or two before the offer came. I'm excited to see the campus and to see how it is there. I want to be involved and find out if I can be comfortable there."

-Derek Young, Scout

Scout Recruiting - National Signing Day Coverage, Latest Commits, Top Prospects and More Front Page

Also planning unofficial visits to NC State, Louisville, and Baylor. Comments about them are pretty similar to the comments about UT. Not really tipping his hand.

Reactions: 3 people
One of the elite junior college defensive tackles in the country is Alexis Johnson of Fort Scott Community College in Kansas. The southeastern native is a monster in the middle at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds.

He's a classic defensive tackle. Johnson has a massive body with his assets being power and strength. He's a load to handle, and also has great quickness off the ball.

"Tennessee just offered," Johnson said. "It feels great to get that offer. They have been on me for a long time. They have showed interest and recruited me for a while now. It's great that they have seen enough to offer me. The defensive coordinator offered me."

Johnson hasn't narrowed his growing offer sheet down yet, and has kept everyone even thus far. However, the offer from the Volunteers is an eye-catcher for him.

"It's a big-name program," he noted. "They play in the SEC, a great conference. They have a nice stadium and it's huge. They have over 100 thousand fans at every game. They go crazy for their team."

The Volunteers are wasting no time in their push for the lineman, hosting him on a visit in a week.

"They haven't sent much of a message," Johnson shared. "They just want me on campus to show off their program. I will take an unofficial visit on June 5 or June 6. I actually planned it a day or two before the offer came. I'm excited to see the campus and to see how it is there. I want to be involved and find out if I can be comfortable there."

-Derek Young, Scout

Scout Recruiting - National Signing Day Coverage, Latest Commits, Top Prospects and More Front Page

Also planning unofficial visits to NC State, Louisville, and Baylor. Comments about them are pretty similar to the comments about UT. Not really tipping his hand.

Sounds good for us

Staff must really like this guy to offer a JUCO DT. I trust Stripling more than any coach on our staff though.

Yea me too. Every school has the need to offer a JuCo every now and again. We've got good young talent at the position so he must be dang good.

Random thought... Whatever happened to Edwin Herbert that flipped from us to UF during the Fulmer firing? The Cali JuCo DT.

Yea me too. Every school has the need to offer a JuCo every now and again. We've got good young talent at the position so he must be dang good.

Random thought... Whatever happened to Edwin Herbert that flipped from us to UF during the Fulmer firing? The Cali JuCo DT.

Signed with Florida, but does not look like he did anything while there.

Was in attendance at today's camp.

Johnson really enjoyed his visit, and while he stopped just short of publicly naming Tennessee his leader, he admitted the Vols are high on his list. He's scheduled to visit N.C. State next weekend and Louisville the weekend of June 20, and he's also hoping to make it to Baylor sometime this summer. But Tennessee definitely seems to be in good shape. This really was his first visit since he enrolled in junior college, and it sounds like Tennessee might have the early edge. But he said he still wants to visit at least a few other schools before making a decision.

That said, Johnson is from the Atlanta area, and his family still lives there. And he admitted today that he always has wanted to play in the SEC, so I think Tennessee is in good shape there for now. He's hoping to visit the Vols again at some point.

Ryan Callahan

Reactions: 12 people
"It exceeded my expectations," Johnson admitted. "They have everything here. They have a barber shop in their athletic building. They have a restaurant. They have everything. They have cameras in the pools in the training room."

"I loved the visit. Everything was great. I'm still looking at schools, but I liked Tennessee hopefully I will be back. I'm going to say they are high on my list. I want to keep everyone in it, but I will say they are high on my list. "I go to NC State next week, then Louisville the week after. I have Baylor set up in July. I want to see those schools and everything then hopefully I will be back up to Tennessee."

"I spent time with everybody," Johnson said. "It was cool sitting in Butch Jones office. That something that just doesn't happen. That was cool. He was telling me how I would be a great fit here. "Me and coach Strip (Steve Stripling) said down and went over football. We got on the board. We talked a lot of football and I talked a lot of football with coach (John) Jancek."

Johnson is a December graduate and an early enrollee and has three years to play two. He plans to announce his college choice on November 4th which is his brother's birthday.

-VQ

Reactions: 8 people
After missing his junior season at Mount Zion HS (Jonesboro, GA) due to a torn ACL, Johnson was a 220-lb DE entering his senior year and was listed a year later at 277 on Fort Scott's roster. He racked up some impressive numbers last year for a 1st-year DT: 46 tackles, 13 TFL & 2 forced fumbles.

Teammate of DE Koron Crump (46 tackles, 15.5 TFL, 10 sacks, 2 FF), who also holds a UT offer.

Reactions: 1 person
seems like he fits our style of converting pass rushing DEs (ala Jordan Williams and Kendal Vickers) into 280-290 DT.

VN Store

Back