'15 TX QB Quinten Dormady (UT Commit 6/9/14)

Picked up CB #8 for Tennessee in 2 days(since the offer). Can't help but think TCU would be our biggest competition for this kid. Oddly enough, they don't have a single CB prediction.

Reactions: 1 person
A good play-action will provide all the dual-threat we need. Meaning if we can run the ball with a back and we have a QB who can sell a play-action like a Hollywood actor we'll be in fine shape. Aaron Murray, David Greene, and Peyton Manning are the three best I can recall seeing in this conference. We don't need a Mike Vick back there. Obviously that would be amazing but the QB doesn't need wheels like that to operate this offense.

Butch has clearly demonstrated that he is quite willing to adapt his system to his current quarterback's skill set. However, a statistical analysis of pass/run ratios during Butch's tenure suggests that he prefers to use the quarterback as a ball carrier much more frequently than we saw during the first half of last year. On the other hand, Dobbs' numbers, if projected over the course of a full season, would have tallied roughly 500 yards, which is more than any Tennessee quarterback has rushed for in a single season since Jimmy Streater. Now, Butch may tweak the tendencies illustrated in the following data, given just how punishing SEC defenses tend to be when given the opportunity to unload on quarterbacks, but consider these stats:

Cincinnati (2010-2012):
2012: Munchie Legaux 55-335 6.1 ave. 4 tds.
Brendon Kay 48-306 6.4 ave. 2 tds.
Total: 103-639 yds. 6 tds.

2011: Zach Collaros 84-234 2.8 ave. 8 tds.
Munchie Legaux 41-185 4.5 ave. 2 tds.
Total: 125-419 yds. 10 tds.

2010: Zach Collaros 121-202 1.7 ave. 4 tds.
Chazz Anderson 19-80 4.2 ave. 0 tds.
Total: 140-282 yds. 4 tds.

Central Michigan (2007-2009):
2009: Dan Lefevour 183-713 3.9 ave. 15 tds.

2008: Dan Lefevour 168-592 3.5 ave. 6 tds.

2007: Dan Lefevour 188-1122 6.0 ave. 19 tds. (Incidentally, Lefevour also passed for 3652 yds. and 27 tds. that year.).

Collectively, his starting quarterbacks at Cincinnati compiled 1340 yards rushing and 20 touchdowns; Lefevour rushed for 2427 yards and 40 tds at CMU. If his 2007 numbers had been achieved at a major college program, I dare say that he would have been in the Heisman Trophy race.

Perhaps these data illustrate why Gibson would be such a coveted weapon in Butch's arsenal. Gibson would enable him to truly stretch the field from sideline to sideline.

Well I did say that the mean for his QB's was roughly 500 yards. It does not take a pure DT QB to achieve those numbers though, as I have mentioned many times an athletic pure passer can keep the ball roughly 5 times a game in the read option and maybe have a scramble or two and make a huge impact. This would be more than enough to keep the D honest. The prototypical QB for this system-- hope he can get his head on straight-- is someone like Ferguson. Someone who can sling the ball all over the field yet still has well above average athleticism.

Dormady is the type of QB that Tennessee needs to recruit. He is a passer first and has some mobility. This is the kind of QB that Tennessee needs to get the ball into the hands of the elite WRs that Butch Jones has recruited and is pursuing.

We don't need running QBs who are not true passing QBs. That is a sure way to lose out on the top WRs in the country.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't think we need 2 DT QB's for sure. Despite what some think Jennings will be a great DT QB for us and I think we need Dormady to have a true passer on the team.

Reactions: 4 people
Devil's advocate: you shouldn't recruit two different types of qbs because if your Gameplan is for a DT qb and he gets hurt and you bring in a pocket passer, the Gameplan you spent all week on goes out the window.

Reactions: 5 people
Devil's advocate: you shouldn't recruit two different types of qbs because if your Gameplan is for a DT qb and he gets hurt and you bring in a pocket passer, the Gameplan you spent all week on goes out the window.

Point to you, I did not even think of it that way.

Surely these people are paid enough, and work enough, to come up with a backup game plan as a contingency for an injury. I think that it would be more of a problem for the opposing team, because we would have had all year to get the backup plan ready, and to practice with the second QB, whereas the other team only has a week to get ready for us and both QBs.

If a content Fulmer and Sanders could do it with Ainge and Shaeffer as true freshmen for all September and October, I have full confidence this staff can plan for it. After looking at how they handled "no run" Worley and a relatively more mobile Dobbs last year, I think our system fits any QB so long as they have some mobility.

If a content Fulmer and Sanders could do it with Ainge and Shaeffer as true freshmen for all September and October, I have full confidence this staff can plan for it. After looking at how they handled "no run" Worley and a relatively more mobile Dobbs last year, I think our system fits any QB so long as they have some mobility.

What did they do? Did they win the SEC Championship?

Does this staff have any idea what kinda offense they are gonna run or are they just leading the poor man on?

I hope this guy is Plan G right now on our QBs list. We've recruited several big names thus far...if we end up with him I will be disappointed.

I hope this guy is Plan G right now on our QBs list. We've recruited several big names thus far...if we end up with him I will be disappointed.

According to some on here this guy is the type of QB we SHOULD be recruiting. Not big time guys like Gibson, Francois or Waller.

Please watch his highlight tape then watch his Elite 11 film on Vimeo. You can see the difference. His arm strength and accuracy have progressed and he moves around freely. I would be happy with him. Very similar to Zach Gentry IMO

The Torrance Gibson circle jerk is the other way fellas. Almost all the questions just asked have either already been answered in this thread or are self explanatory.

They say that we don't need a DT QB because of our WRs and TEs.

well I agree

but Butch don't

he turned a 1st round nose tackle into a 6th round pick and not to mention what he did to the offense yet still only won 5 games

he's gonna play his game .... stubborn SOB

VN Store

Back