'15 TX QB Quinten Dormady (UT Commit 6/9/14)

Ryan Callahan with the CB prediction to the Vols.

CB's 2,3,4 are now in.

Kind of get the feeling something may happen here rather quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
At this point, I hope we would take the first QB that wants on board and use whoever it else to get the ball rolling on the rest of these prospects. I hope it is Gibson. I am hoping he sees the writing on the wall with all these commitments happening and moves up his decision date significantly, but I doubt that happens. However, if we take Dormady and let's say Dungey, do we then move on from Gibson or do we ask Jennings to look elsewhere or just say "Hey, we love you. We want you in Orange and White. But, you need to be ready to play defense." What do you folks think?

The kid as a nice frame, decent footwork, steps into the ball nicely, and has a good arm. He will be a good college QB with some coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
The kid as a nice frame, decent footwork, steps into the ball nicely, and has a good arm. He will be a good college QB with some coaching.

I think he is a bit of a sleeper and would be a steal.

Doing a bit of digging on what I would think is his leader(just a guess) in TCU I was very surprised at how efficient they are in QB recruiting. This year they have offered 3 QBs and Dormandy is the only 1 uncommitted, so they could miss this year. Last year they offered 6 and got 2 of them. The year before they offered 3 and got 1. The year before they offered 5 and got 2. That is just crazy.

Reactions: 3 people
Even though I am extremely intrigued by Gibson as a prospect, he is not a guy that can come in and contribute year one. We need someone that if the worst case scenario happens can play some QB for us and not have their progress as a QB completely screwed up now that Ferguson is gone. Gibson needs his redshirt year and maybe a little more to become a college QB, the same as Jennings who we already have committed. This guy is one whom I believe will be ready to contribute much sooner.

First QB to want on board gets his ticket punched.

Even though I am extremely intrigued by Gibson as a prospect, he is not a guy that can come in and contribute year one. We need someone that if the worst case scenario happens can play some QB for us and not have their progress as a QB completely screwed up now that Ferguson is gone. Gibson needs his redshirt year and maybe a little more to become a college QB, the same as Jennings who we already have committed. This guy is one whom I believe will be ready to contribute much sooner.

I agree. That is why I mentioned this kid and Beneventi yesterday. Worst case scenario if one of our TFR had to play, I'd feel better sending in a passer who could get the ball out quick. Both seem to do a lot of that on their film.

I agree. That is why I mentioned this kid and Beneventi yesterday. Worst case scenario if one of our TFR had to play, I'd feel better sending in a passer who could get the ball out quick. Both seem to do a lot of that on their film.

I'm just fine agreeing with you unlike many even though I like giving you hell about the numbers stuff. People think you just don't like Gibson because you don't support getting him, but that's not the case at all. We just need someone that is not a project at QB since Ferguson has left. If Fergie was still here or we already had a non-project type QB committed I'm sure you'd be all over Gibson.

I'm just fine agreeing with you unlike many even though I like giving you hell about the numbers stuff. People think you just don't like Gibson because you don't support getting him, but that's not the case at all. We just need someone that is not a project at QB since Ferguson has left. If Fergie was still here or we already had a non-project type QB committed I'm sure you'd be all over Gibson.

I said yesterday had Gibson committed before Jennings I would feel the same way about Jennings. 1 project QB is enough IMO. You take a 2nd guy in 1 class, it had better be a kid who could see reps very early on. There is always the risk of striking out the next year when taking 2 the year before.

I said yesterday had Gibson committed before Jennings I would feel the same way about Jennings. 1 project QB is enough IMO. You take a 2nd guy in 1 class, it had better be a kid who could see reps very early on. There is always the risk of striking out the next year when taking 2 the year before.

247 said we might take 3 if you count Jennings as a Qb... *Leb's head explodes from numbers running*

I actually have a metric shart-ton of respect for Leb, because he keeps it real. The numbers don't lie and, if anything, he is attempting to temper our expectations and desires in recruiting with reality. Some see that as a negative on him, but I'm a realist and I appreciate him keeping people grounded. Cheers LebanonVolunteer!

Reactions: 5 people
247 said we might take 3 if you count Jennings as a Qb... *Leb's head explodes from numbers running*

Yep. Gibson, Jennings and Dormady.

20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

Reactions: 6 people

I had the same thought. We've got Jennings as a QB/Ath, get another dual threat guy and get a pro style guy. The chances of them all sticking around are slim, but we only need 1 to be a hit. Not sure if the numbers would allow the strategy though.

I had the same thought. We've got Jennings as a QB/Ath, get another dual threat guy and get a pro style guy. The chances of them all sticking around are slim, but we only need 1 to be a hit. Not sure if the numbers would allow the strategy though.

Yep. 1 hits 1 transfers and 1 changes positions.

butch has a history of taking multiple QBs and letting one transfer out... I'd expect to see this more in the future.

I actually have a metric shart-ton of respect for Leb, because he keeps it real. The numbers don't lie and, if anything, he is attempting to temper our expectations and desires in recruiting with reality. Some see that as a negative on him, but I'm a realist and I appreciate him keeping people grounded. Cheers LebanonVolunteer!

I thoroughly enjoy going back and forth with Leb. And he at least brings logical arguments. He will beat a dead horse til the sun goes down and then some but he has solid points.

The numbers issue is real now, it'll sort itself out IMO, but for now it's real and he is right.

Reactions: 3 people

Just out of curiosity what makes you believe he cannot come in and play from day 1? He is in his senior season and more than likely will improve. Whose to say this guy or any other guy we have/are recruiting can come in and play right away? I don't think CBJ is looking for an immediate starter anyway.

Last time I checked CBJ wants a read option type of offense. Gibson is ready for that right now. As I have said any QB we get is likely going to RS.

Just out of curiosity what makes you believe he cannot come in and play from day 1? He is in his senior season and more than likely will improve. Whose to say this guy or any other guy we have/are recruiting can come in and play right away? I don't think CBJ is looking for an immediate starter anyway.

Last time I checked CBJ wants a read option type of offense. Gibson is ready for that right now. As I have said any QB we get is likely going to RS.

As it stands right now Gibson is a run first QB and he needs at least a year to mature if you don't want to ruin him as a QB. He could probably come in immediately and play and win us some games but he would be like Denard Robinson or Vick, a square peg in a round hole. We are a Spread read option based team, but we only want our QB to run the ball about 5 times a game. We don't want our QB scrambling all over the place so athleticism isn't as important as some of you think.

Look at Butch's past QB's and you'll see that he wants them to pass and our RB's to run. They run sparingly.

Reactions: 4 people

Also, we have to take a second QB this class because we are so thin depth wise. Next year we have Dobbs and maybe Peterman. Do you realize how bad it will be if the injury bug strikes? We don't want any QB we take this year starting, but it might be necessary in certain situations.

Fan of taking this kid. Decent offer list and film looks good, Will probably be a 4 star when all is said and done. I also like Ryan Agnew but haven't heard anything about him in a long time.

Also, we have to take a second QB this class because we are so thin depth wise. Next year we have Dobbs and maybe Peterman. Do you realize how bad it will be if the injury bug strikes? We don't want any QB we take this year starting, but it might be necessary in certain situations.

I agree about taking a second QB. Its just how do you know that any QB we are recruiting would come in and start from day 1? Also given CBJ offensive scheme, wouldn't a guy who could run the read option like a dream be the better choice?

VN Store

Back