'15 TN RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn

nashville (tenn.) pearl-cohn running back ke’shawn vaughn has managed to stay below the national radar for much of his recruitment. Despite a four-star grade on 247sports, vaughn’s offer list has been missing some of the big national names. It has also been missing the in-state volunteers. On saturday that finally changed.
Vaughn picked up an offer from tennessee head coach butch jones on saturday prior to tennessee’s game against oklahoma. The offer came following a 200-yard rushing effort by vaughn on friday night, a number that has become standard for the 5-10, 210-pounder.
“they just started back talking to me a couple of weeks ago,” vaughn said. “they said they need a running back and i’d be a great fit and just to stay home and play for the hometown team.”
though the offer came later than he would have liked, it was one that vaughn was waiting for and one that he will be strongly considering.
“i was happy because that’s one that i’ve wanted for a long time,” he said. “it’s just an in-town offer so i wanted it. I’ve been there about three or four times. I like it there.”
it wasn’t long ago that it looked as though a tennessee offer would be too little too late. Vaughn had set up a decision date for late september and seemed to be zeroing in on louisville and vanderbilt. However vaughn recently decided to push that decision date back and re-evaluate the process.
“it bothered me for a little while (the tennessee hadn’t offered),” he said. “i thought they had given up. I’m still open to them. Everyone’s even now. Now that i’ve pushed my commitment date back to do some more research.”
vaughn’s tennessee research involves going to the florida game on an unofficial visit. He’ll also take in an official visit to purdue on october 11.
His previously perceived leaders in vanderbilt and louisville remain very much in the mix as well even despite a slow start to the season by the commodores.
“[vandy’s slow start] doesn’t bother me because they’re a really young team right now,” he said. “they’ll be building it up so i’m still cool and open.
“louisville is still high. I just like how they use the running backs, how they get the ball to them.”
as vaughn continues to research his prospective schools, there will be a few things he’ll keep in mind.
“i want to know how would i be used if i go up there. How many running backs will be in front of me? I want to do more research on the school, how many people they get to the nfl and just stuff like that.”
vaughn is currently ranked by the industry’s 247sports composite as a three-star back but his senior year has validated his four-star rating on 247sports. Through four games, vaughn has just under 2,000 yards rushing and has eclipsed 200 yards in each contest.

Reactions: 1 person
I love this offer, and hope it isn't too late. I want Tuttle and another offensive lineman, but after that, I want the best available and Ke'Shawn could be just that. He can play.

"The offer came (Saturday) when my coach told me to call coach (Tommy) Thigpen so I called coach Thigpen and he didn't answer and I finally got to talk to coach Thigpen and he gave the phone to coach (Butch) Jones," Vaughn explained. "Coach Jones just told me that I had an offer there and that they were going to start recruiting me heavy."

"Me and coach 'G' started back talking about earlier this month or late August. He was saying they were looking for a running back that could fit what they do with their running backs up there," Vaughn said.

"I always wanted the UT offer because it was the home-state offer and it was big," Vaughn said. "It's very big, just to know that both SEC schools in my home state believe in me and believe I would be a great fit at their school."

Until recently, Vaughn had a top group of Louisville, Illinois, Kentucky, Purdue, Vanderbilt and Wisconsin but admitted with Vols now offering and others showing interest he's backed off any top group and any timetable. "I think I'm just going to start all over with the recruiting process," Vaughn explained. "All these offers have come in and has me researching not trying to push my date and commit early."

-VQ

Vaughn will take an UOV to UT for the UF game.

Film looks really good. Great frame to add a little more strength also. Could be a bruiser along with Rocky.

Rocky and the Red Mamba.

Get this done Butch!

Makes it sound like we want a 3rd RB, unless Rocky is looking around for some reason, and we just don't know anything about it yet. I don't know why that would be the case.

Makes it sound like we want a 3rd RB, unless Rocky is looking around for some reason, and we just don't know anything about it yet. I don't know why that would be the case.

Makes me wonder if they are potentially recruiting over Reid. Since neither Scott or Paulk have been on the field yet and there are other glaring needs in this class, it seems that something will have to give if UT gets a commit from Vaughn. JMO.

I agree that something seems to be up. A 3rd RB after taking 3 last year makes no sense at all with the needs this year. Either something is up with Reid or Kamara, or possibly an issue with Paulk or Scott. Having 5 new RBs who have not played a snap in a college game stacked up seems odd with so many other needs.

BxdJ-mXIgAAkHJ2.jpg

Mason with the frown in the background, he heard Butch was calling.

Even if something does happen to reid or kamara we dont need another rb i would like to see us take another o lineman or d lineman instead. We got three last year and hurd is going to get all the carries the next 3 years just think we could build depth at somewheres besides rb

Even if something does happen to reid or kamara we dont need another rb i would like to see us take another o lineman or d lineman instead. We got three last year and hurd is going to get all the carries the next 3 years just think we could build depth at somewheres besides rb

Will be interesting to see what plays out. For all we know it could have been a token offer. Maybe nothing more than a local kid wanting to say he had a UT offer and CBJ gave it to him. Is it actually committable? I guess we'll see. 5 new RBs(Scott, Paulk, Kamara, Reid, Vaughn) seems like a lot of overkill to me with needs elsewhere.

Heaven forbid, but.... What happens if Hurd gets injured? Next year Hurd will be the only running back with any meaningful SEC carries. Kamara will be the only other back with meaningful college carries. We are thin at this position as well if anyone get injured.

This is not true. You need depth at rb. And quality depth at that. You cannot expect Hurd to handle all the carries. And if he gets banged up you are down to 2. You need to keep 5 to 6 at the rb position if at all possible

This is not true. You need depth at rb. And quality depth at that. You cannot expect Hurd to handle all the carries. And if he gets banged up you are down to 2. You need to keep 5 to 6 at the rb position if at all possible

I was wondering why we would consider 3 more now than we did before and after looking at it I can see why.

We lose Young and Lane so there comes Kamara and Reid's spots. Then Scott can't stay on practice field so far with a nagging foot and Paulk is still working his comeback from ACL. Pickett had an ACL last year. So it is an injury prone group

Nearly any great team is going to have a stable of running backs. Remember the days of Lewis, Stephens and Henry or Garner, Stewart and Hayden.

It'd be great to have Ke'Shawn pick the Vols.

VN Store

Back