'15 TN OT Drew Richmond (Former Ole Miss commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per 247 from the Memphis Nike Camp:

10. Drew Richmond, OT, Memphis (Tenn.) University School (Class of 2015) – If judged strictly off of his success rate in one-on-ones, Richmond may not make this list but the underclassman deserves a lot of credit for competing and fighting for reps against the best defensive linemen in the camp, not the second tier group. While he still needs to trust his ability and athleticism in his pass set against elite talent, Richmond showed a good frame, fantastic feet and a competitive mentality.

One of those early offers is from Tennessee and he's hearing a lot from Mark Elder and hopes to be in Knoxville for the Orange & White Game.

"I'm just developing a relationship and getting to know him as a person and he's getting to know me as well," Richmond said.

Even from six hours away from Knoxville in Memphis, Richmond notes the culture change at Tennessee in recent months under Butch Jones.

"They're changing. They're changing the culture from last year to this year and it seems like they're creating a winning formula this year," Richmond said.

Richmond will have another chance to shine at a camp this summer with his Rivals Five-Star Challenge invitation in hand and hopes to make the most of it.

"I want to enjoy myself and I want to compete at a high level and I'm sure there are going to be really great people there so it will be very competitive and I'm going to be ready for it," Richmond added.
-Rivals.com.

Reactions: 1 person
“I enjoyed it a lot. It was really fun. I had a good time,” said Richmond, who already has received 10 scholarship offers, including one from Tennessee.

“Everything was really nice. I heard Tennessee was nice, but it was better in person. ... Before I went to Tennessee, I didn’t think I would like it, honestly. But I really enjoyed it. I did.”

“The facilities were great. I really liked the indoor practice field, and the weight room was good. I enjoyed everything,” Richmond said. “The stadium, it was nice, too. I enjoyed the band. Like I said, everything was nice.

“I really don’t have a list right now, but they’re definitely on my mind. They’re up there.”

“I talked to Coach Jones, and I really enjoyed what he said,” Richmond said. “He was saying they’re building it brick by brick ‘til they get it done, and I enjoyed that. And Coach Elder, and I talked to Coach Mahoney. I talked to the whole staff. It was my first time seeing Coach Mahoney. I had talked to him once before then.

“I call (Elder) once every two, three weeks, maybe. He’s a cool guy. I enjoy talking to him. I really do. I enjoy talking to him. Now that I’ve been to the spring game, I’m pretty sure I’ll start calling more often now, because I enjoyed myself.”

“I feel like the new staff is doing big, big things right now. They’re up to the number-(five) recruiting class, and I feel like they’re going to get better players,” he said.

“Like I said, Coach Jones, I’m confident in Coach Jones’ staff. From the players he’s getting right now — and he hasn’t even been there that long — and talking to Todd and Jalen and meeting Coach Jones, I’m feeling good that they’ll do big things these next couple of years.”

On his school of choice:
“Academics are first, period, in my book. But football-wise, playing time is probably the biggest thing for me right now, and proximity to home,” he said. “I mean, I know Tennessee is far, but I like the feel of playing for my state, so I like that. ... Winning is really big, too, as well.”

He noted that he realizes that UT will have holes to fill on the OL after this season when Tiny and James are gone for the draft (assuming Tiny does leave, which I think he will since he has the potential to be a top 10 pick).

On that note,

tumblr_m9vxkq2wdR1qd9jvmo1_250.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Richmond recently visited Tennessee for the Vols spring game and came impressed with what he saw in Knoxville.

"It went really well," he said. "I enjoyed it a lot. I see good things coming for their program."

Richmond added that he was impressed with the 61,000-plus turn out for the spring game.

"It was really good and the fan base is crazy," Richmond said. "I really like it. The crowd was live and they were into it."

Several members of Tennessee's class of 2014 have already started to put the heat on Richmond, led by Rivals100 safety Todd Kelly Jr.

"When the players were coming out and the crowd was getting loud Todd grabbed me and told me that I needed to be a part of it," Richmond said. "Neiko Creamer has been texting me, too, they're all working trying to get everyone on board."

-Rivals

Reactions: 3 people
Recently, Elder visited Memphis University School to pursue one of the top prospects in the 2015 class in the form of 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive tackle prospect Drew Richmond. The Memphis native didn't grow up a Tennessee fan, but he is developing a solid relationship with Elder. Richmond already has numerous elite-level offers, including Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Georgia and Ohio State. Richmond will definitely be a name to keep an eye on as the Vols desperately try to make some sort of pipeline into the Memphis area.

-scout

Reactions: 1 person
I was on my way home from work, brain was fried. Couldn't think of it!!! Im sorry!!!!

I feel like someone will commit this weekend?? Anybody else?

There are no excuses for not remembering a VFL! I have a feeling Truitt might drop the bomb any day now.

“I went to the spring game and it was great,” Richmond told InsideTennessee.com. “I enjoyed that atmosphere a lot. The team, even though the offense wasn’t as good, both sides of the ball were really into it. The fans were crazy in there too and really into it. Even with all the things that Tennessee has been through the fans are still really into it.”

It was cool to see those guys coming around. Coach Jones really preaches the Vol For Life thing and that is really important to me,” he said. “I am all about family and that is what they are doing at Tennessee right now.”

“It feels good getting an offer from the state school. I have always wanted to get an offer from Tennessee so it does feel good. I feel like Coach Elder and I have a great relationship so far. Coach Mahoney and I are getting to know each other better too. So far everything is going well with UT.

“I talk to Coach Elder about once every two weeks. We have a pretty good relationship. We talk about all different kinds of stuff not just football and it is really going good with him. He is a good guy.”

“Education plays a big part in where I decide to go,” he said. “I am trying to choose a school where I can get a great degree as well as play great football. In terms of football, playing time is probably the most important to me. I want to come in and play early. I want to go to a winning program too that is doing good things right now.”

-scout

Reactions: 4 people
Really nice to hear that playing time is important to him. Having pretty much our entire O-line drafted next year should make it really attractive to him. Not only is there space filling up, but just the fact that we had so many drafted should be on his mind.

“I mean, right now, just how things are, I’m not sure where I’ll end up right now,” Richmond said Thursday. “I don’t know the future, so I’m open to anywhere right now.”
“(Mississippi State) said they offered me in September, but I just found out about it (Wednesday),” he said. “I know they’re a good team. They started out real well last year but kind of fell off toward the end.

“But coach (Dan) Mullen has a good staff, and they’re a good team.”

“Hopefully I can talk to Stanford soon,” said Richmond, who’s a cousin of Stanford rising junior wide receiver Ty Montgomery. “I’m interested in Washington, Texas and Oklahoma.”

“I mean, I really enjoyed Tennessee,” he said. “I enjoyed Tennessee a lot. I’m just seeing how things go this year with coach (Butch) Jones’ staff. But as a visit, as a whole, I enjoyed it a lot. ...

“The biggest thing with Tennessee that I really like (is) they’re telling me I’ve got a chance to play early, with (junior tackle) Antonio (Richardson) leaving early, so I feel like I have a chance to play there. That’s one of the biggest things I like about Tennessee: playing time.”

“I know they’re a really good academic school,” he said. “But I’m just waiting to see how some things play out, and just waiting to see how some things work out with Tennessee and some other people. I want to see how good they are.”

On other schools:
“I love the academic prestige that comes with Vanderbilt,” Richmond said. “I feel like coach (James) Franklin has the team going in the right direction. They’re building talent. They’re getting a good recruiting class. I think they’re top-23 this year (in recruiting), so it’s a great school to build on having their own tradition.

“Alabama, I mean, it’s a winning team. I want to have a chance to compete for a national championship, and I feel like I can do that there at Alabama. And Ole Miss, they had a great (2013) recruiting class, and I feel like they’re, like, (No.) 25 in the country, I saw, so I feel like they can build off that win they had against Pittsburgh in the bowl game.”

“I want to definitely get back to the Vanderbilt-Ole Miss game,” he said. “I want to see that one. And I plan on going back to Alabama and Tennessee, for sure.”

“I make sure to keep in contact with all the coaching staffs that have offered so far,” he explained. “I don’t have any favorites or anything like that so I talk to them all about the same. I call each coach that recruits me about once every two weeks. It’s like a routine right now and all according to schedule. It’s all fun but I know it might get hectic later on so I want to try to take some visits in the summer and fall.”

“I grew up a pretty big fan of Ohio State ever since I was 10 years old,” Richmond explained. “They had guys like*James Laurinaitis,*Michael Jenkins,*Troy Smith,*Beanie Wells, and*Brian Robiskie*and so that was my school I always cheered for. That was an offer I really wanted to get so it was a pretty emotional feeling when I found out. I wasn’t sure if it was going to happen at first, especially when*Michigan*showed interest in me before they did.”

-scout

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back