'15 NM QB Zach Gentry

"Just an awesome feeling to know that the coaches at UT liked me enough to offer," Gentry said. "Great school with great tradition and history! "Nothing too serious before (Wednesday). I had started to get some letters from them recently, but besides that. It kind of did surprise me but it's a really cool experience so I was glad he came."

"(Bajakian) said he's not just going to come down and see me and it's going to be dead, he said we'll communicate about where they are at and where they are at and everything," Gentry said. "He said that from an athletic standpoint there's no doubt that I can play, but he just thinks with the quarterback being the face of the program so we're just going to get to know each other more."

"I've looked into it a little bit, but not a whole lot. I'm going to start to do more research into it," Gentry said. "I don't know too much, but I've been watching them on TV since I was little since they are televised a lot."

"A few more schools will be coming in next month and coach Bajakian was talking about bringing in coach Jones in January and then the Oregon coaches are supposed to come back down then," Gentry offered.

-VQ

Dan LeFevour was a great fit for this system. I've heard Butch say numerous times that LeFevour had the perfect QB makeup for his system and IMO Gentry has a lot of the same qualities that LeFevour had as opposed to Bray.

Correct. LeFevour was Jones' original "Big Dan".

Highly touted as a pro-style quarterback, Gentry stands tall and strong in the pocket, has pinpoint accuracy and possesses a howitzer for a right arm. At the UNM football camp last summer, the Aggies had Gentry throw for distance, and he uncorked a 74-yard bomb.
Eldorado quarterback Zach Gentry's stock keeps on rising - MaxPreps

Finished with mediocre passing stats & pretty good rushing numbers this year for a weak (4-6) Eldorado team:
Zach Gentry's (Albuquerque, NM) High School Football Stats

Note that out of his 160 pass completions the longest went for just 36 yards. Averaged 9.9 yards per completion & 5.5 yards per pass.

He's currently averaging 21 points & 15 rebounds per game in basketball after 3 games.

Highly touted as a pro-style quarterback, Gentry stands tall and strong in the pocket, has pinpoint accuracy and possesses a howitzer for a right arm. At the UNM football camp last summer, the Aggies had Gentry throw for distance, and he uncorked a 74-yard bomb.

Finished with mediocre passing stats & pretty good rushing numbers this year for a weak (4-6) Eldorado team:

Note that out of his 160 pass completions the longest went for just 36 yards. Averaged 9.9 yards per completion & 5.5 yards per pass.

He's currently averaging 21 points & 15 rebounds per game in basketball after 3 games.
You can tell in his highlights that he has a big league arm. The way we're bringing in speed at the skill positions it could be fun to watch this kid sling the ball downfield.

Not the most ready-made product, but he has the tools. Should be interesting to watch how his senior year goes.

Reactions: 1 person

The aggies are NMSU, UNM is the lobos...

I really like this kid's game...one hell of an athlete. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing him suit up for us on The Hill.

I wish Ainge still ran his show like he wrote that blurb on Gentry. He does a great job of breaking down players and schemes, but he and JayBay sound like middle schoolers on the air now. Anyways, I would love for Gentry to be the QB of the '15 class.

Brian Urlacher was from NM

Urlacher, Landry Jones, and Arian Foster for most of his upbringing IIRC. Kid's a far better athlete than Mett. I am seeing Joe Flacco tools. Might be best fit/upside for us at QB in this class.

Urlacher, Landry Jones, and Arian Foster for most of his upbringing IIRC. Kid's a far better athlete than Mett. I am seeing Joe Flacco tools. Might be best fit/upside for us at QB in this class.

Yep. I'm liking this kid more and more. I hope he ends up with the good guys...

Ainge sure was talking this kid up today. Said he has a better arm than most starting QBs in the SEC. Said he can make more throws than anyone except mettenburger. He was gushing over this kid. said he would love for us to end up with him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back