'15 JUCO TX PG Rob Gray

Rick Barnes is not at Texas because he is stubborn.
Don't forget he was fired. I just can't buy in on the idea of hiring someone who was just fired. I'd be shocked if he looks at this kid, even though all indications really present this as a great fit. Granted, there may be better options available, I don't know.

I see Barnes' being very reluctant to adjust his recruiting philosophy. Hey, prove me wrong. But, in my estimation Barnes career was starting to mirror Fulmer's. Barnes is a guy who doesn't respond well to change. He has his way.
Sure, he has won a lot of games. Fulmer was a HOF national champion coach, who lost his legacy simply because he was stubborn.

Barnes is like Fulmer in that they were victims of their own success. Sure, they had average years after having great years, but (right or wrong) fans expect more when you are the coach that is succeeding at a high level.

The University of Texas has 32 NCAAT appearances. Rick Barnes has 16 of them in 17 seasons. He took them to their first Final Four in 2003 since 1947. That is being a legendary coach at a school. As in, generations had gone by since Texas had been to the Final Four, just like winning a national title at UT.

The bad part of getting rid of Fulmer was the two hires afterward. We will see what Smart does at Texas. I suspect that a firing will rejuvenate Barnes because any coach with his record will not want to retire on a bad note. I would also say that Fulmer could have been a really good coach for a lesser D1 football school, but the difference was that UT was Fulmer's alma mater. Barnes is "coming home."

Rick Barnes is not at Texas because he is stubborn.
Don't forget he was fired. I just can't buy in on the idea of hiring someone who was just fired. I'd be shocked if he looks at this kid, even though all indications really present this as a great fit. Granted, there may be better options available, I don't know.

I see Barnes' being very reluctant to adjust his recruiting philosophy. Hey, prove me wrong. But, in my estimation Barnes career was starting to mirror Fulmer's. Barnes is a guy who doesn't respond well to change. He has his way.
Sure, he has won a lot of games. Fulmer was a HOF national champion coach, who lost his legacy simply because he was stubborn.

He lost his job because he lost games. Barnes is still winning 20 plus games a year.

Reactions: 1 person
He lost his job because he lost games. Barnes is still winning 20 plus games a year.

I understand. I'm only saying there are similarities. Before Fulmer had two 5 win seasons there were several seasons where UT was still winning a decent #, but you could tell it was trending down. Fulmer wouldn't make staff changes.

Not sure why nobody is talking about this kid or no schools are really offering. Damontrea Jefferson is a 4* PG ranked number 55 overall prospect in the country on Rivals. He has a few mid major offer and 0 power 5 offers. He is only 5-7 but seriously he is a 4* and even ranked ahead of a Kentucky committ. Tennessee really needs to look at him. Being so close to Knoxville and his lack of offers I think we have a shot at him. As far as height, if you watch his highlight tape his height becomes a non factor he plays a lot like Allen Iverson. Plus are Kentucky fans complaining about Tyler Ulis' Height? NO!

Reactions: 3 people
I understand. I'm only saying there are similarities. Before Fulmer had two 5 win seasons there were several seasons where UT was still winning a decent #, but you could tell it was trending down. Fulmer wouldn't make staff changes.

I won't get into Fulmer convo since I love the guy, however your stance on Barnes isn't as crazy as some think. I've watched a lot of basketball since I've been born, a lot. I love the sport, and I love watching great coaching. Barnes remindes me, not style wise, of George Karl. Barnes is probably never going to win you a championship, but at least he'll get you into the tournament so you can give it a whirl. Barnes will make coaching decisions that will frustrate you, same with George Karl, especially when he runs a two PG lineup in the NBA. Still, at the end of the day, these coaches are giving you an opportunity to compete post season, and anything can happen in the post season, aka KY getting beat this year. Point is, fans, aka TX fans, need to appreciate what they have/had in front of them, because sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Smart is a great coach, but there is no guarantees in sports. Brian Shaw was thought to be a "star" coach on the rise, turns out my Nuggets haven't made the playoffs since Karl was let go. Smart is a more proven coach than Shaw was, but it still doesn't change the fact that TX let a guy walk who was consistently getting them to the tournament. I understand people want success in the tournament, but when you make it there every year you forget just how hard it is to get into the tournament consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not sure why nobody is talking about this kid or no schools are really offering. Damontrea Jefferson is a 4* PG ranked number 55 overall prospect in the country on Rivals. He has a few mid major offer and 0 power 5 offers. He is only 5-7 but seriously he is a 4* and even ranked ahead of a Kentucky committ. Tennessee really needs to look at him. Being so close to Knoxville and his lack of offers I think we have a shot at him. As far as height, if you watch his highlight tape his height becomes a non factor he plays a lot like Allen Iverson. Plus are Kentucky fans complaining about Tyler Ulis' Height? NO!
As long as he can handle and dish the rock. Bring him in I say. Spud Webb 2.0

Howard College redshirt freshman Rob Gray enjoyed his official visit to Texas Tech last weekend.

"It was great," he said. "Interacting with (the coaches) and their families, I liked it a lot. It has a good family feel. Coach Tubby Smith, one of the most respected coaches out there.

"The visit was very impressive. Texas Tech and Lubbock were way better than I thought it would be. I'm a little biased living in Big Spring, West Texas. I thought it was going to be more like down here, but it's more like a city."
I assume it's Tennessee #1 and Texas Tech #2

You think we will get Rob Gray? He said he wants to sign by April 15th. I hope we get Gray personally.(if we dont land Anthony Collins)
I like Rob Gray from the video he had in 2011 :p. I can't find any film on him in JUCO but he looked impressive in high school, if he's averaging 16ppg/4rbd/2.3 assists pg in a Texas JUCO league, you have to think he's pretty good. Solid size at 6'1 also. I say take him if you can. If a grad transfer PG transfers here, the only way Rob Gray would get in is if the staff has complete faith he will be 'the guy' in college, if not they will try to find someone long term who can. I think thats how its being looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEhUKAQ-xwY

Rob Gray is numbner 0 and he starts at like 24-25 seconds in the video. Video from 2011.

Last edited:
You think we will get Rob Gray? He said he wants to sign by April 15th. I hope we get Gray personally.(if we dont land Anthony Collins)

If Tennessee wants Gray they will get him, they're gonna evaluate him and I could see him pushing that date back as I'm not sure they'll get that chance in the next 5 days. Dylan Ennis and Anthony Collins are both factors as grad transfer point guards, Ennis being the better of the 2. I think what comes into play is does the staff feel as if Gray is someone they see as the Pg for the next 3 years? If not, then you take the grad transfer PG imo, and recruit your own PG of the future in the 2016 class, or look at say Nigel Williams-Goss to transfer and be eligible next season after Ennis graduates.

Reactions: 2 people

Coaches may be reading his Twitter, I did and not sure what his priorities are. Still like his game tho

Barnes like Fulmer may be somewhat true. But recruiting for basketball is a lot easier than football. You can land two or three good basketball players and have a good year or more. In football you need two or three good years to have a good team.

Agreed. And any sensible Vol fan can admit that Fulmer underachieved with some of the talent and teams he had. If he could have beaten Spurrier just in our home games we would have probably played for a few more championships and not to mention the team we had that did beat UF but choked against LSU and their backup QB. But will say with Barnes there is no better hire we could have gotten. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to atleast get us in the tournament most yrs. Outside of UK there is very little consistency in SEC basketball. He won't ever be expected to win a NC here.

Just heard on the radio that Jimmy thinks we will go a different direction than Rob Gray. And Pickens and Shumate will probably not be retained on the staff effecting the Rob Gray recruitment.

Just heard on the radio that Jimmy thinks we will go a different direction than Rob Gray. And Pickens and Shumate will probably not be retained on the staff effecting the Rob Gray recruitment.

It doesn't matter who's on the staff Gray would come here, it's a matter of if he's wanted here.

VN Store

Back