'15 IL PG Marcus Lovett

Barnes "Listen son, I have made several NBA stars and have made it to the final 4. if you come play for me i promise that you will start immediately. You have the talent to go the the NBA let me help you fine tune that talent into a 1st round draft pick." Thats alot to sway a young player that wants to make an instant impact on the college lvl IMO

Reactions: 1 person
6'0"
170lbs
#101 on 247 composite

Tennessee offered, along with DePaul and Illinois this week. Thought to be a heavy Kansas lean, but there are some questions as to whether or not KU will have room for him if they land a few of their higher rated targets.

Is this the reason the kid didn't sign in the Fall? Or, is there some other reason? Thanks

Is this the reason the kid didn't sign in the Fall? Or, is there some other reason? Thanks

To answer your question, he still hasn't taken the ACT, so coaches have been hesitant.

The high school season ended with one of the best performances he has ever had dropping 45 points in a loss. Since the season was over it was time to start the LoVett watch. That is when a coaching change rocked the recruitment.

St. John’s is the other main team that is going after LoVett. They ended up parting ways with Steve Lavin which really helped Illinois get back into his recruitment. St. John’s then hired NBA great Chris Mullin as their next head coach.

LoVett still has to take his ACT and that is what everyone is waiting for to see if he qualifies to get into school. As soon as he does this, let the flood gates open.
-Illini basketball recruiting

Last edited:
That may have been a lucky break for us . We likely had no chance before , but we have a chance now

What I like about Lovett as a basketball player is that he was an even better and more polished player towards the end of this year (his senior year) dropping 45 points in a state tournament game is no easy feature, especially in Illinois. I think the potential to be a breakout star is there IMO.

He won't get accepted by any D1 college without an ACT score. I'm sure you know that though. He HAS to take that test if he wants to go to college.

Somebody call coach Cal or William Wesley. I heard they know how to get past this.

Reactions: 2 people
He won't get accepted by any D1 college without an ACT score. I'm sure you know that though. He HAS to take that test if he wants to go to college.

yeah I know that I'm actually in college myself and I play baseball. I just think he will take it at some point and it's worth the risk waiting and trying to get him. he is as much of a sure thing at point guard than anyone else out there. we need to go hard after lovett.

He can't even take an official visit until he takes the ACT or SAT.

This situation is slightly different. Most guys struggle to make the score while, Lovett just hasn't taken the test. Not sure why but, wouldn't be shocked to see this cleared up soon.

Wow didn't know that. Interesting.

In fact, I think you have to have the results of the test as well, which can take several weeks to receive following the exam. This kid has really put himself behind the 8-ball by waiting so long to take the test.

Most athletes (and students in general) are encouranged to take the test during the 2nd semester of their junior year to allow multiple retakes if necessary to become eligible.

Well if he hasn't taken any test, there are test dates in April, May and June.

Well if he hasn't taken any test, there are test dates in April, May and June.

Spring Signing period ends May 20th, ao you are looking at hoping he enrolls after committing without being bound by a National Letter of Intent.

Then the question becomes, do you put all your eggs in the Marcus Lovett basket, and pass up other available PGs? Very risky proposition IMO without another guy to fall back on.

VN Store

Back