'15 CA QB Sam Darnold

Darnold had been in my top 3 for a while now

Want_A_Cookie.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Couple QB notes....

"Also, look for Sam Darnold to make it to Knoxville later this month, on June 28 actually as he does a four-school tour beginning with Northwestern, then heading to see Duke and Wake Forest before ending in Knoxville."

-Fortenberry

Should be a fairly underwhelming trip prior to landing in Knoxville.

Reactions: 2 people
I have zero inside knowledge but if I had to guess I would say 3rd behind Gibson and Francois.

That's me, I have no clue. I think the guy from Texas and the one from Oregon are up there too but was curious on their pecking order. Think Francois stays instate and Gibson's commitment is so far away that they need to get a good one on board then if Gibson commits then maybe have 3to QB's in this class. Especially with Ferguson gone and Worley graduating. Definitely don't wanna get into the possible situation as last yr with Dobb's being the only healthy scholly QB that was healthy and a walkon QB getting reps in practice. A recipe for disaster.

Reactions: 1 person
From the Elite 11 Regional in Oakland:

One of the less-heralded quarterbacks at Oakland's Elite 11, 3-star Sam Darnold impressed coaches so much that he earned a coveted gold shirt, and with it, a spot in the Elite 11 finals.

He currently holds offers from Utah, Duke and Northwestern among others, with Utah being the favorite at this time.

Darnold stood out for his ability to find his receivers on deep routes, where many of the other quarterbacks either didn't put enough air under the pass or completely overthrew their receivers. He showed a knack for putting a lot of zip on his passes and proved to be pretty agile in hurry-up situations.

He missed much of his junior season because of an injury, so Darnold said he plans to spend the rest of the spring and summer getting healthy so that he can lead his football team in the fall.

When he received his gold shirt, Trent Dilfer said: "A lot of you didn't know the name 'Sam Darnold' before you got here, but you're going to remember it now."
With his blazing red hair and 6'4" frame, it'll be a lot harder for him to go unnoticed now.

One of the less-heralded quarterbacks at Oakland's Elite 11, 3-star Sam Darnold impressed coaches so much that he earned a coveted gold shirt, and with it, a spot in the Elite 11 finals.

He currently holds offers from Utah, Duke and Northwestern among others, with Utah being the favorite at this time.

Darnold stood out for his ability to find his receivers on deep routes, where many of the other quarterbacks either didn't put enough air under the pass or completely overthrew their receivers. He showed a knack for putting a lot of zip on his passes and proved to be pretty agile in hurry-up situations.

He missed much of his junior season because of an injury, so Darnold said he plans to spend the rest of the spring and summer getting healthy so that he can lead his football team in the fall.

When he received his gold shirt, Trent Dilfer said: "A lot of you didn't know the name 'Sam Darnold' before you got here, but you're going to remember it now."
With his blazing red hair and 6'4" frame, it'll be a lot harder for him to go unnoticed now.

Count me in. Dude is about to blow up.
0615_WVterror.jpg

Nice... I notice our offer isn't mentioned so I wonder if Dilfer threw his name to CBJ afterwards and that's when we offered.

Any news on this guy? I. Really like what I heard on the Ainge show the other day.

Just that he's due in for a visit late this month. I'm guessing Dormady's decision after the weekend and whether or not Gibson is a no-show will greatly impact his recruitment from our side and his

Last edited:
Just that he's due in for a visit late this month. I'm guessing Dormady's decision after the weekend and whether or not Gibson is a no-show will greatly impact his recruitment from our side and his

I agree. IF Dormady picks UT I'd expect the coaches to stop having QBs visit. I know it's normal to allow kids to visit through the whole process but when your taking 2 in a class, better to not do anything to have the committed ones question what your doing. Dormady picks bama and I'd expect the staff to ramp up the recruitment on Darnold. Might also see an offer go out to Dungey if they miss on Dormady.

IMO Dormady is their guy and QB recruiting is done for 2015.

Reactions: 1 person
It will be interesting to see if they get 2 abs and try to red shirt someone like Darnold. I bet they let Jennings play just cause of his athleticism and maybe redshirt Darnold...idk

My guess is they hope to redshirt any 2015 freshman QB. Circumstances might prove otherwise (injuries or Dobbs not progressing sufficiently)

My guess is they hope to redshirt any 2015 freshman QB. Circumstances might prove otherwise (injuries or Dobbs not progressing sufficiently)

I believe Dobbs would have benefitted from a redshirt season. He had to be thrown to the wolves out of necessity. He will be much better in years 3 and 4 than his first and second years, barring injury.

I think I read he was visiting with Cutcliffe in Durham yesterday. I don't have a 247 sub but the teaser at the top of a recent article said the Duke trip was his only east coast stop on a nationwide tour so maybe it was indeed canceled (if indeed Tennessee is considered "east coast")

I think I read he was visiting with Cutcliffe in Durham yesterday. I don't have a 247 sub but the teaser at the top of a recent article said the Duke trip was his only east coast stop on a nationwide tour so maybe it was indeed canceled (if indeed Tennessee is considered "east coast")

I had not seen that about Duke. IF he is in the area, he could very well show up to UT. When all the CBs rolled in for him to USC, I figured him staying out west was just a forgone conclusion.

VN Store

Back