'15 CA QB Sam Darnold

Barton Simmons expect Darnold to blow up with offers soon. He thinks Oregon will offer here if Waller truly ends up with Ohio St.

#5 QB on UT's Recruiting Board per VolQuest.com

Sam Darnold QB, 6-5/210, San Clemente, Calif.

Darnold has recently become a major prospect for several schools after coaches were able to see him this spring. Darnold only played in a handful of games his junior season before he suffered a broken foot kept him out of action for the majority of the season. But, Darnold has a big frame, a nice arm and good athleticism for someone his size and Tennessee offered a few weeks ago.

Darnold admitted distance from home may play a factor, but he still wants to visit Tennessee, along with several other schools like Northwestern. One interesting team to remember is Stanford. Darnold plans to camp for the Cardinal this summer and if they offer expect him to jump on that fairly quickly. Utah, his first offer, could be a factor as well.

SIAP, but this is from ESPN following recent Northern Cal Elite 11 Regional.

For Darnold, making an early commitment wasn't much of an option, as an injury robbed him of most of his junior season and delayed his recruitment. Darnold held an offer from Utah early in the process, but a recent run has him at nine offers now, from schools such as Duke, Northwestern, Tennessee and Wake Forest. While he waited for those offers, Darnold said it was frustrating to see quarterbacks jumping on their early offers.

"All these quarterbacks are committing early and, with me missing last year, I really missed a lot of time and that put me behind the recruiting thing," Darnold said. "A lot of these guys out here are already committed."

Darnold said he will take an unofficial visit to Northwestern this summer, and could visit Duke, Wake Forest and Tennessee all on the same trip. He said he hopes to have a decision made by the end of June or early July.

Ainge high on Darnold this morning. I wasn't aware that Darnold also plays OLB for his team.

Last edited:
He has a very compact throwing motion with a quick release. This and his running skills makes him very appealing in our offense.

Ainge high on Darnold this morning. I wasn't aware that Darnold also plays OLB for his team.

I admire the toughness but linebacker not a spot you should be playing your starting QB especially one with a college future. Smh at his coach

Watched his highlights. He never lets it rip down field so no idea what kind of arm he has. His highlights make me think Jordan Lynch. A tough SOB that can run.

Watched his highlights. He never lets it rip down field so no idea what kind of arm he has. His highlights make me think Jordan Lynch. A tough SOB that can run.

I can see that. I was wondering how guys like Ainge were coming up with him being a great prospect unless they are looking at video I have not seen. Too limited on passing to know IMO.

I can see that. I was wondering how guys like Ainge were coming up with him being a great prospect unless they are looking at video I have not seen. Too limited on passing to know IMO.

No clue. He could have hung out with coach jake and watched some that aren't for public view but I lean toward he is just drinking kool aid and hurt by his Fergie.

Ainge said Darnold reminds him of Heath Shuler with how he throws the ball and his toughness. As mentioned earlier, plays outside LB as well. Has become Ainge's favorite QB recruit...... I'll hang up now and wait for the football forum guys to come on over and start hating on Sam.

Ainge said Darnold reminds him of Heath Shuler with how he throws the ball and his toughness. As mentioned earlier, plays outside LB as well. Has become Ainge's favorite QB recruit...... I'll hang up now and wait for the football forum guys to come on over and start hating on Sam.

Darnold had been in my top 3 for a while now

Couple QB notes....

"Also, look for Sam Darnold to make it to Knoxville later this month, on June 28 actually as he does a four-school tour beginning with Northwestern, then heading to see Duke and Wake Forest before ending in Knoxville."

-Fortenberry

VN Store

Back