'14 TN DB Todd Kelly Jr. (UT Signee 2/5/14)

wat-wat-wat_o_1681599.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
"Basically I just enjoyed my last semester and doing stuff like going to prom and participating in graduation," Kelly said. "Webb doesn't allow for early enrollees, but I was happy to get to accomplish all of those things. Prom was good and I had a blast. It's been a great ride at Webb."

"I've been working on my speed and my conditioning," Kelly said. "Just working hard to get stronger in the weight room. I've improved a great deal with my agility. The speed of the game is faster so I wanted to get faster."

"My goal is to learn the defense and contribute as much as possible," Kelly said. "I know a lot of freshman start off on special teams so I just want to do my best if I hit the field and help in any way possible."

Kelly will room with Dillon Bates when he arrives on campus in just over a week.

-VQ

Reactions: 17 people
These legacy kids got me fired up about up coming seasons.They will leave it all on the field.No doubt in my mind win or lose our kids are gonna play lights out.This class has leaders all over it.What orange blooded. Tennessee fan wouldn't be stoked to hear Bill Bates son is rooming with Todd Kellys son and Eric Berrys twin bothers are right down the hall.I am excited beyond belief guys....GBO

Reactions: 13 people
Todd Kelly Jr.*finally is ready to begin the future at Tennessee that he started envisioning for himself more than a year ago.

Before arriving on campus Monday and moving into his new dorm, the Top247 safety from nearby Webb School of Knoxville (Tenn.)*admitted he’s both excited and anxious about finally beginning his college career after he initially committed to the Vols in March 2013.

“I’m more anxious, more than anything —*just ready to finally get after it, get to the schoolwork and everything, the workouts. I’ve just heard about it so much, and it’s finally here. It’s almost here,” said Kelly, who was ranked the nation’s No. 61 overall prospect and No. 8 safety in the 247Sports Composite for the 2014 class.

“It’s like a dream come true. I grew up watching the Vols play all my life, so it’s pretty surreal that I’ll be playing in Neyland Stadium this year.”

The 6-foot, 192-pound Kelly —*who’s the son of former Tennessee standout**—*said he’s also healthy after undergoing surgery earlier this year to repair what he described as “a minor hip injury.”

“I’ve been 100 percent for quite some time,” the younger Kelly said. “It wasn’t a big deal at all, and it won’t affect me this season.”

Since recovering from the surgery, Kelly said he recently has been working to improve his speed and overall quickness while also continuing to lift weights to prepare for the physical challenges that come with playing in the SEC.

“I’ve been working out and just working on my speed, just getting ready for the speed of the game,” he said. “I got to see a little bit of the speed in the Army All-American game, so I’m looking forward to moving in and just getting ready for SEC ball. I’ve mainly worked on ladder drills and footwork, just because speed is so crucial on the next level.

“Of course, I’ve been lifting weights and stuff like that, but basically just training like that and also getting mentally prepared to move on to the next level —*watching a lot of film, watching the NFL combine and just seeing those guys that just played in college.”

Kelly, who said he will wear jersey No. 6 for the Vols, might have a chance to earn early playing time for Tennessee this year.

While redshirt junior safetyBrian Randolph*sat out during spring practice earlier this year, none of the Vols’ other returning safeties emerged as a likely starter, leaving the door open for Kelly and a few of his fellow newcomers to perhaps compete for the starting job alongside Randolph starting this summer.

“They tell all the guys that, if you come in and play hard, and you show what you can do, then you’re going to get playing time, so that’s everyone,” Kelly said. “It’s nothing special just because I play safety. Every position, if you come in and show what you can do and make plays for the team, then you’re going to be on the field regardless.”

Kelly said he’s focused on learning his new position rather than simply trying to see the field as a true freshman.

“I think we have some good older guys at the position, like Randolph, so I’m just going to go in and try to learn as much as I can from him, and hopefully it’ll pay off later in my career,” Kelly said.

“My main objective this year is just to go in and learn from the older guys and just adjust to the game as much as possible, and if that comes with playing, then so be it. I’ll be ready. But I’m not expecting anything. I’m just expecting to go in and play hard and work hard.”

He said he’s as optimistic as ever about what Tennessee can accomplish over the next few years.

“We always expect big things, especially with the class that we have coming in*—*all these top-tier guys,” Kelly said. “We expect to improve. At the same time, winning takes time and we know that, so we’re just going to go in and play as a team and kind of enjoy the season and, at the same time, get better.

“I think the future’s bright. We have a lot of talented guys. I believe in our coaching staff and everything that they’re trying to put into our minds. … And although it’ll take time, I believe that, if everybody buys in, we’ll be able to do it.

“I have high expectations for our team, and I have high expectations with anything I take pride in, so I’m looking forward to seeing where it takes us.”

Vols signee Todd Kelly Jr. ready to fulfill dream at Tennessee

Free read

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back