'14 JUCO WR Lavon Pearson (UT SIGNEE 12/18/13)

Two deep?

I could see all of Owen Williams, Weatherd, Malone, Pearson, Hurd, Blair, Medley, and TK2 all being in the TWO Deep Along with 1 of Helm or Wolf, 1 of the DL, 1 other LB, 1 CB and maybe Coleman Thomas. Most of our positions are depleted and our new guys make up a little more than 1/3 of our roster, so cracking the 2 deep wont be that hard.

Reactions: 1 person
And probably a few other EEs. This isn't like what we're used to seeing with only a handful of EEs on campus. I think we'll have more new faces in the 2-deep than folks realize.

Yea Weatherd and Kelley, I can think of several in the two deep immediately actually. Yakob. Thomas. Ten or so

Two deep?

I could see all of Owen Williams, Weatherd, Malone, Pearson, Hurd, Blair, Medley, and TK2 all being in the TWO Deep Along with 1 of Helm or Wolf, 1 of the DL, 1 other LB, 1 CB and maybe Coleman Thomas. Most of our positions are depleted and our new guys make up a little more than 1/3 of our roster, so cracking the 2 deep wont be that hard.

Being a bit over reactive given that I agree with you. I think new faces are going to be all over the field both as starters and as backups. That more clear? :good!:

Everyone seems to be writing off Peterman.
He is a good QB.
The truth is he never had a chance in that Fl game.
The OL was baught in to their own hype.
They failed him, he got hurt, and never got a chance to showcase his skills.
The same could be said of all our QBs.
Last year with the limited WR targets, we needed 2 running QBs.
This year, we will have more targets at WR.
We will also have QB that have learned the playbook better.
Add to that great TEs, and RBs.
We have 4 good QBs, and one will rise to the top.
It could be any of the 4 of them.
Everyone has their fav QB, and wants to see them on the field.
We really dont know if the short and long passes were on the QB, or the WR busting routes.
Lets see how it plays out.
GBO

He is a good QB.
We really dont know if the short and long passes were on the QB, or the WR busting routes.
GBO

It's hard to protect the QB when he tells you and the RB to use different pass protections.

Yep. People are also going to be disappointed when very few of the newcomers crack the two deep by week one.

There will be several by the time we play Vandy, but the week one depth chart will only see 2-3. Probably North, Pearson, and Hurd.

I don't think there is anyway those will be the only three (assuming you meant Malone) in the two deep. 2/3 of our roster are freshman and sophomores so just with that in mind I don't think there is anyway that the number won't be higher. Guys I think will be receiving significant playing time: Blair, Hurd, Pearson, Malone, Owen Williams, Weathered (if he makes it in), Scott (3rd RB but will still get a good amount of snaps), and Kelly. Then after that I think there are A LOT of freshman who will get significant PT but may not be in the "two-deep".

Ferguson inconsistent talk could be more mental game and playbook. It doesn't always have to be arm. That's how I view it especially since Butch said he is our best pure passer.

That being said Dobbs won't go away quietly. Too many people writing him off for some odd reason. You could see the talent. He needs strength and some mechanical work which he is getting both this offseason.

You heard it correctly but you heard it from Woody Wommack who was claiming we were selling Fergy to Malone in the run-up to Malone's announcement. Malone's quotes in source after source say "Josh Dobbs and Riley Ferguson..." and so on.

There's no way this staff sold Malone on "we have this kid that media's just crazy about and all the fans love... No he's never played but he's great, ignore the other QBs on our roster," when the better argument is "we have two elite 11 QBs and a former Gatorade Player of the Year. They need someone to throw to and that someone is you."

So now you know what the coaches said when they recruited. You are so full of crap we can smell you from miles away.

Ferguson inconsistent talk could be more mental game and playbook. It doesn't always have to be arm. That's how I view it especially since Butch said he is our best pure passer.

That being said Dobbs won't go away quietly. Too many people writing him off for some odd reason. You could see the talent. He needs strength and some mechanical work which he is getting both this offseason.

I think it's definitely mental--learning the offense, how to read the defense, and where to go with the ball.

Last edited:
Good post. I will be surprised if Worley is not the starter coming out of spring camp.

He still isn't 100% and doesn't have the strength back in his hand. I think that will make it very difficult to be a spring starter behind 2 more talented young players.

He is a good QB.
GBO

The OL didn't fail Peterman. Obviously the 3.8 passer rating isn't wholly indicative of his talent, but he is the least talented QB on the roster and will never see the field again.

Yep. People are also going to be disappointed when very few of the newcomers crack the two deep by week one.

There will be several by the time we play Vandy, but the week one depth chart will only see 2-3. Probably North, Pearson, and Hurd.

assume you mean Malone - agree those 3 will be in 2 deep

but there is no way Weatherd or Blair is not in the 2 deep - just not possible baring injury

there is no way a newcomer doesnt crack the 2 deep at nickel corner

it is also highly likely you see CThomas in the 2 deep if he doesnt outright win a starting job

highly likely a newcomer FR - you pick the one (bates, Gbryant, etc) cracks the 2 deep at one of the LB spots

also highly likely a newcomer doesnt crack the 2 deep at 1 of the outside corner spots

also highly likely a newcomer (again you pick the one) cracks 2 deep at one of the safety spots

id say the over under should be somewhere in the 9-10 range for newcomers cracking the chart for game 1

also think Medley has a great chance to be starting kicker for game 1 and Wharton has a good chance to be in 2 deep at returner

The OL didn't fail Peterman. Obviously the 3.8 passer rating isn't wholly indicative of his talent, but he is the least talented QB on the roster and will never see the field again.

Peterman doesn't have the cajones is his problem. Needs to be at lower level. Spotlight completely freaks him out.

Malone:*I talk to the coaches all the time about the quarterback situation and I really feel comfortable with the guys behind the ones they played this year at Tennessee, Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs, so I just feel comfortable with that situation.

Reactions: 2 people
Key down the stretch for the Vols was the coaching staff's ability to showcase considerable raw practice footage of quarterback Riley Ferguson, who sources indicated would have been the Tennessee starter following injury to incumbent Justin Worley had Ferguson not had a stress-fracture in his right leg. -- VQ

Azzanni eventually made it [to Feather River CC] and clearly liked what he saw – on the field and personally.

“And what do you know – he’s a pretty good player,” he said. “We went out to see him practice and fell in love with him as a kid. He’s humble, he’s hungry and he’ll do anything.”

Humble enough to call Azzanni on his way to enroll at Tennessee to ask what the best cleats he could buy for $42 would be. Azzanni, welcoming him to major college football, politely told him that the equipment would be taken care of once he got to campus. “We’ve got you covered,” he said.

Tennessee went the extra mile to land receiver Von Pearson | Nooga.com

Reactions: 13 people
Azzanni eventually made it [to Feather River CC] and clearly liked what he saw – on the field and personally.

“And what do you know – he’s a pretty good player,” he said. “We went out to see him practice and fell in love with him as a kid. He’s humble, he’s hungry and he’ll do anything.”

Humble enough to call Azzanni on his way to enroll at Tennessee to ask what the best cleats he could buy for $42 would be. Azzanni, welcoming him to major college football, politely told him that the equipment would be taken care of once he got to campus. “We’ve got you covered,” he said.

Tennessee went the extra mile to land receiver Von Pearson | Nooga.com

Wow that's awesome. What a cool story. I like hearing "hungry"

VN Store

Back