'14 JUCO OT Dontavius Blair (UT SIGNEE 12/18/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juco's are always so hit or miss. I hope we hit big time with Blair, he has the size to be a great LT.

But with any Juco's, staying eligible worries me also

Still shaking off those holiday meals, no big deal.

NO doubt. Big boy like that probably inhales anything around him. Takes lots of calories to move that body around, flip side is he burns a lot of calories when said body is put in motion.

They will get him in shape and he knows what to expect. They need one good season out of him and hope for two. By that point the depth on the roster is built and ready to go.

Dontavius Blair, OT, Tennessee (6-8, 303):*Tennessee is the only team in college football to lose all five starting offensive linemen. So, Dontavius Blair will get his opportunity immediately and should step in and play day one at tackle. Blair is a big-time run-blocker who will need to hone his pass-blocking skills.

5 SEC-ready JUCO transfers | Saturday Down South

Just tell him the QB is running on every play during the game...afterwards reveal his new passblocking status :idea:
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What is going on with Blair? Why is he not getting PT especially with the injury to Gilliam. There were Boom's galore when he committed and was suppose to step in right away.

What is going on with Blair? Why is he not getting PT especially with the injury to Gilliam. There were Boom's galore when he committed and was suppose to step in right away.

Lack of fitness and effort are the rumors. Low motor guy possibly.

I really wonder if the coaches were trying to steal a redshirt year with Blair, and they thought Gilliam was as good or a little better. Maybe they played Kendrick because they didn't know the severity of his injury. If Blair starts on Saturday, then I think that is what they were trying to do.

Blair needs to swallow his pride and realize the amazing opportunity that's right in front of his freaking nose and run with it.

Maybe I'm a moron but I didn't think you normally bring in Jucos you think will have to redshirt. Rarely anyways.

Reactions: 1 person
So who do you guys think takes over at LT? I think it has to Kendrick or Blair. I know some have mentioned Kerbyson moving over, but I just can't see that. Up until a few weeks ago he was at RG. I've seen Thomas mentioned a few times as well, but starting a freshman at LT wouldn't be a good thing.

So who do you guys think takes over at LT? I think it has to Kendrick or Blair. I know some have mentioned Kerbyson moving over, but I just can't see that. Up until a few weeks ago he was at RG. I've seen Thomas mentioned a few times as well, but starting a freshman at LT wouldn't be a good thing.

I think they can fine tune a few missteps Kerbyson had and stick him over there and use CT at right tackle.

I am no expert, but i think you just use your 5 best linemen even if they are out of position. You don't stick a guy on blindside that you don't think is one of your best 5.

Kendrick filled in when Gilliam went down. You have to imagine he's your early front runner but he'll need a backup even if he secures the spot.

I really wonder if the coaches were trying to steal a redshirt year with Blair, and they thought Gilliam was as good or a little better. Maybe they played Kendrick because they didn't know the severity of his injury. If Blair starts on Saturday, then I think that is what they were trying to do.

Hadnt thought of this but it does make sense. I had read in the spring they were considering redshirting him. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think they can fine tune a few missteps Kerbyson had and stick him over there and use CT at right tackle.

I am no expert, but i think you just use your 5 best linemen even if they are out of position. You don't stick a guy on blindside that you don't think is one of your best 5.

No way you put two freshman on the rs together. Has to be kendrick or blair IMO

Maybe I'm a moron but I didn't think you normally bring in Jucos you think will have to redshirt. Rarely anyways.

You are correct, but I wonder if him coming in so out of shape forced their hand some...as well as Gilliam stepping up and taking the spot. If Gilliam is just as good, then why not try to steal a year if possible. Sure would have helped our horrible depth next year.

You and I may still be morons but I agree, JUCOs are supposed to be plug-n-play right away.

Yes...ideally, but recruiting a highly ranked prospect doesn't usually give you an indicator of their a)fitness level
b)response to a Lawson
type conditioning program
c)readiness and hunger to
play big boy football.
The fact that he was JUCO should have put him ahead of the curve...it didn't...since Butch and staff still obviously value his talent, redshirting is a better option than force feeding him conditioning...that option 's gone...hope he steps up...and quick. :aggressive:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back