'14 JUCO OT Dontavius Blair (UT SIGNEE 12/18/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need impress this guy this coming weekend. Looks like someone that could step in and play on the O-line.

I really like, as I have read in many threads, that the whole staff is in contact with a lot of the recruits. Its not just their position coach or coordinator. The whole staff recruits every position. Thats Awesome!

“What I know so far is they’ve got a successful program,” said Blair, who claims offers from Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Florida State, Southern California, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Arizona State.
“I went on the Internet and Googled them, and, man, their facilities are so big. My offensive line coach that’s here at JUCO with me, he was telling me, like, if I take all my visits, that’s probably going to be one of the biggest schools I go to or whatever because their campus is real big, and they’ve got a big ol’ stadium and all this type of stuff.
“I’m fired up about going down there.”
The 6-foot-8, 292-pound Blair said he has been in frequent contact with some of the Vols’ coaches, including linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen, offensive line coach Don Mahoney and head coach Butch Jones.
“I talked to them (Wednesday), as a matter of fact,” Blair said. “I talk to them, like, every other day, if not every day. I’ve heard from Coach Mo’, Coach Jones, Coach Thigpen. I talk to Coach Thigpen a lot. He’s just been telling me this coaching staff, they love me or whatever.
“They’re trying to get me up there to help their program win ballgames.”
Blair said he already was a bit familiar with Thigpen, who previously coached at Auburn, from his time on the Tigers’ staff. Thigpen is “a great guy” who’s “great to talk with and great to open yourself up to,” Blair said.
He said he also has heard plenty from Mahoney about his possible opportunity to earn early playing time at Tennessee.
“He was telling me about big ‘Tiny‘ — (Vols junior left tackle) Antonio Richardson — he told me about he’d probably declare for the draft or whatever, and I’ll be coming out of JUCO to come in there and fill a big spot, fill a big gap,” said Blair, who starts at left tackle at Garden City.
Blair said he will have three years to play two at the next level, and he plans to enroll at the college of his choice in January. He said there are a few different factors he plans to consider as he continues evaluating his growing list of options.
“I’m just looking for great communication with the players and coaches, a great academic program — which, that comes first,” he said.
“And I don’t got too many years, too much time to play with, so (playing time is) a big part of it, too."

“What I know so far is they’ve got a successful program,” said Blair, who claims offers from Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi State, Kansas State, Florida State, Southern California, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas and Arizona State.
“I went on the Internet and Googled them, and, man, their facilities are so big. My offensive line coach that’s here at JUCO with me, he was telling me, like, if I take all my visits, that’s probably going to be one of the biggest schools I go to or whatever because their campus is real big, and they’ve got a big ol’ stadium and all this type of stuff.
“I’m fired up about going down there.”
The 6-foot-8, 292-pound Blair said he has been in frequent contact with some of the Vols’ coaches, including linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen, offensive line coach Don Mahoney and head coach Butch Jones.
“I talked to them (Wednesday), as a matter of fact,” Blair said. “I talk to them, like, every other day, if not every day. I’ve heard from Coach Mo’, Coach Jones, Coach Thigpen. I talk to Coach Thigpen a lot. He’s just been telling me this coaching staff, they love me or whatever.
“They’re trying to get me up there to help their program win ballgames.”
Blair said he already was a bit familiar with Thigpen, who previously coached at Auburn, from his time on the Tigers’ staff. Thigpen is “a great guy” who’s “great to talk with and great to open yourself up to,” Blair said.
He said he also has heard plenty from Mahoney about his possible opportunity to earn early playing time at Tennessee.
“He was telling me about big ‘Tiny‘ — (Vols junior left tackle) Antonio Richardson — he told me about he’d probably declare for the draft or whatever, and I’ll be coming out of JUCO to come in there and fill a big spot, fill a big gap,” said Blair, who starts at left tackle at Garden City.
Blair said he will have three years to play two at the next level, and he plans to enroll at the college of his choice in January. He said there are a few different factors he plans to consider as he continues evaluating his growing list of options.
“I’m just looking for great communication with the players and coaches, a great academic program — which, that comes first,” he said.
“And I don’t got too many years, too much time to play with, so (playing time is) a big part of it, too."

247 writer needs to quote the player a little more loosely and tighten up the verbiage a bit, IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
247 writer needs to quote the player a little more loosely and tighten up the verbiage a bit, IMO.

I'm going to be very disapointed but glad for Tiny's opportunity if he does declare for the draft. Love the kid on our team, but I understand he has the potential to be a superstar in the NFL.

No no no. You're wrong and I am correct, you uneducated fool. Words are great. Who wants info? It's all about me!!!

Signed,
Wes Rucker

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
"It was great. They have great coaches, great facilities, great players and they're great people to be around," Blair said.

"I got to meet the players. I knew they were going to be the way they were but they were more caring. The coaches talked a lot about family and I liked that," Blair offered.

"With me coming out of junior college I've got a big mindset and I have a few steps more than a high school player. I can come in and make an impact," Blair said.

Leaving Knoxville, Blair said he liked everything about Tennessee.

"The place. The facilities. The coaches. Everything about it, it was great," Blair offered.

"I haven't been anywhere else, but they're in my mind. They're in my mind," Blair said. "I'm just thanking God day-by-day and taking my time."
-VolQuest.com.

Reactions: 1 person
Blair made the visit to Knoxville, Tenn., to take in the Tennessee campus on Saturday. It was a visit he gave, on a scale of 1 to 10, “a 10.”

Reactions: 6 people
Glad to see we're getting in on some OL.Getting Thomas and would love too add Blair and Barr!

dontavius blair visited tennessee for the first time saturday for the vols’ first spring scrimmage, and he admittedly went into the trip with high expectations.
Dontavius blair

sophomore offensive tackle dontavius blair of garden city (kan.) community college is expected to be one of the top junior-college offensive linemen in the 2014 class. He wasn’t disappointed, to say the least.
The sophomore offensive tackle from garden city (kan.) community college said tennessee now is “up there” on his list following his “great” weekend trip to knoxville, and he’s already planning to use one of his official visits to return there later this year.

“me leaving there now, i’ll always love tennessee or whatever. I’m not saying they’re my top school or whatever, but i’ve got love for them,” said blair, an anniston, ala., native who’s expected to be one of the nation’s top junior-college offensive linemen in the 2014 class.
“i haven’t visited everywhere else, but they’re up there. I’m going to take one of my official visits down there.”

he was scheduled to visit alabama on monday, and he said he’s planning to travel to mississippi state on thursday. Georgia also is “trying to get me on a visit,” he said, while he’s home during his ongoing spring break at garden city.

The 6-foot-8, 292-pound blair — who claims 11 scholarship offers to date, including one from the vols — said he enjoyed watching tennessee’s practice and spending time with first-year coach butch jones’ staff during the visit. “the practice was high-intensity, and they have good coaches, great players,” said blair

“i really didn’t do too much. I met with the head coach, sat down with the offensive line coach (don mahoney), watched a little film and got to meet everyone.

“i went expecting to see great things, but i seen more.”

blair, who plays left tackle at garden city, said he talked with jones, mahoney and vols linebackers coach tommy thigpen. All of them made it clear to blair — who plans to enroll at the college of his choice in january with three years to play two — that he could fill a major need for tennessee. “the head coach told me it ain’t just that they want me — they need me,” blair said.

“(mahoney) was just telling me that big ‘tiny’ (tennessee junior left tackle antonio richardson), if he leaves next year or whatever, he needs a guy like me that has experience from a juco, instead of a high-school guy, and he’ll be able to choose.”

blair said all of the vols’ coaches have “great personalities,” and he was impressed by tennessee’s facilities, including the new football training center that’s attached to neyland-thompson sports center. “it’s a great place to be,” he said. “the weight room’s pretty big.”
blair said he’s planning to take most — if not all — of his official visits during the upcoming football season, but he’s not sure when he might be ready to decide on a college. “i can’t say, to be honest,” he said. “i really can’t.”

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back