'14 IL TE Daniel Helm (UT commit 4/23/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully A.J. Branisel can have a good off-season. Combine Wolf and Helm to the mix we should have a decent situation at TE

Branisel still has a long road ahead of him with the ACL. I doubt he practices during spring season. He needs to get that knee right and hit the rehab. Its not just about rebuilding the muscle, its about getting the player mentally ready and re-training the knee how to move. Hopefully he'll be good to go come June or so, but if Helm or Wolf are anything like they are advertised, I wouldn't be surprised to see him red-shirt. I just don't see him being fully ready to play come August. Maggitt and Derrick Rose were not ready in a year, it just takes time and everyone heals differently.

Branisel still has a long road ahead of him with the ACL. I doubt he practices during spring season. He needs to get that knee right and hit the rehab. Its not just about rebuilding the muscle, its about getting the player mentally ready and re-training the knee how to move. Hopefully he'll be good to go come June or so, but if Helm or Wolf are anything like they are advertised, I wouldn't be surprised to see him red-shirt. I just don't see him being fully ready to play come August. Maggitt and Derrick Rose were not ready in a year, it just takes time and everyone heals differently.

I hope Branisel has a fast recovery and doesn't have to redshirt. Not only because of depth/experience issues at TE, but because if he does that means he, Wolf, and Helm will all be on pace to leave UT at the same time.

I hope Branisel has a fast recovery and doesn't have to redshirt. Not only because of depth/experience issues at TE, but because if he does that means he, Wolf, and Helm will all be on pace to leave UT at the same time.

...which would be a minimum of 3 but most likely 4 years from now. Depth is a great thing to have, but considering Jones is bringing in two stud TEs just in this class alone, I'm pretty sure he can recruit a few more of them given 3 years to do so.

The National Team's offense only used the tight end in blocking situations as Helm was only on the field a handful of times and never ran a route. Even though it was a less than desirable situation Helm said he enjoyed the experience.

"I'm glad I experienced it still because I got to know more of what it would be like to block in college," Helm, the No. 1 ranked tight end in the country, said. "I had some good defensive ends on my time like (Andrew) Williams and (Lawrence) Marshall who's going to Michigan. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to block them in practice but I wish I had more opportunities to do that in the game."

Helm said he weighs around 225 pounds and after seeing himself on the jumbotron at the Citrus Bowl several times he noticed he has some work to get to playing size. "I'd like to be able to look on the jumbotron and not think I'm pathetically small. That was bad," Helm said laughing. "I was small compared to some of these guys. I definitely need to put on some weight and get stronger. I noticed that doing more blocking. Some of these guys have 20 pounds on me and they are a lot stronger than me so I need to get better in both of those."

Helm said his goal is to try and reach 240 pound by the fall. He added he believes he will wear 17.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Glad he's going to be focused during winter workouts. Liked all his comments. Maybe he'll push some of the other TE's this off season

9591101.jpeg

Reactions: 8 people
At the tight end position, as one source put it to Volquest this week, the upgrade in simply adding two bodies made the position better. But it's more than just added bodies. Ethan Wolf arrived with good size and looks to be a guy who can be physical early in his career and Daniel Helm is a guy that athletically looks to be able to add a different dimension to the passing game. Remember, too, Brendan Downs has been on crutches so it's going to be a ton of reps and opportunities for the new guys.

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
Daniel Helm ‏@helm_daniel 37s
Visiting the children's hospital helped me get a proper perspective. Fball is nothin compared to life. Thx Jesus 4 the hope you gave us!https://twitter.com/helm_daniel/status/425810043225636864

I know normally we aren't supposed to post in here without an update, but this is a bit tied to this post and I think it'd be appropriate to share.

My sister volunteers at the hospital as part of her hours for grad school. She told me the numbers of the players who came (because she didn't know who they were). They came to see a kid who wasn't given a good diagnosis, and was so sick that they had to throw a football around for him, and that the three players had to leave because they were all tearing up and didn't want him to see. She said they were all extremely polite and that all the people there nearly teared up whenever they left the room because they didn't want the kid to see the "Big strong Vols" like that.

Reactions: 18 people
I know normally we aren't supposed to post in here without an update, but this is a bit tied to this post and I think it'd be appropriate to share.

My sister volunteers at the hospital as part of her hours for grad school. She told me the numbers of the players who came (because she didn't know who they were). They came to see a kid who wasn't given a good diagnosis, and was so sick that they had to throw a football around for him, and that the three players had to leave because they were all tearing up and didn't want him to see. She said they were all extremely polite and that all the people there nearly teared up whenever they left the room because they didn't want the kid to see the "Big strong Vols" like that.

That's awesome that they care that much. Its great to have amazing student athletes that aren't all about themselves. We need those guys as leaders on our team and in society

Reactions: 2 people
Not to bump an old thread for no reason, but as I've posted in the basketball forum, our basketball team is pursuing one of his old schoolmates. Dan played basketball with him and from what I know they are friends. Here's his profile. #GlenwoodPipeline

Peyton Allen

@RyanCallahan247: RT @Vol_Football BAJAKIAN: "@helm_daniel has done more community service in his first month than many other players do in their careers."

Reactions: 5 people
Praise continues to pile up for freshman tight ends Daniel Helm and Ethan Wolf, as well. In fact, even at this absurdly early stage, it would almost be considered a surprise if both players don’t have roles on the team this season. One source raved to us about their “really, really good skills sets.” Helm is a better athlete, and Wolf is a bit bigger-bodied, but Wolf also has shown good ball skills. Both will have to prove themselves as blockers — which is never easy at that position — but the thought in the program is that Wolf already has enough size to handle himself OK, and that Helm has shown a desire to be physical despite being a bit thinner. As one source put it, “Daniel will come around” as a blocker.

Tennessee football source on freshman tight end Daniel Helm: “Everybody’s just gonna love everything about this kid. He’s a great player and an even better kid. Everybody here loves him already. We have a lot of kids doing a lot of things in this community, but he’s done more than anyone. He’s just a great kid.” -247 Sports

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back