13 Reasons Why (Netflix original)

I just finished this. At first I thought it was a bit petty some of the things it was showing. Normal things in high school from what I recall but it gets deep later. It really makes you think about some things. I look forward to season two

Halfway through and it's both unsettling and enticing. I'm interested to find out where it goes. Not reading spoilers.

Halfway through and it's both unsettling and enticing. I'm interested to find out where it goes. Not reading spoilers.

I don't know if I actually enjoyed the show or not. The content and all was, like you say, unsettling to say the least. But the way the story is told and the character interactions kept me watching. And I couldn't stop watching.

A good friend of mine's wife is a mental therapist. She and her co-workers are not happy with the show.

I've heard enough that I didn't allow my kids to watch. To each their own, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 person
It has some tough situations that would be scary for kids to watch but it does make you think about how you treat people that are different and think about what maybe going on in their lives.

Binge-watched 12 episodes of this yesterday and last night. Only reason I didn't watch the last one is because it was like 1 in the morning and I had to get up at 6 for work. I'll watch the finale later in the week. It's pretty good. I like it.

I've heard enough that I didn't allow my kids to watch. To each their own, but that's just me.

I don't even think high school aged kids should watch this. I am very hesitant to recommend the show at all. Yes it shines a light on a very difficult subject, but I think it glamorizes suicide and presents it as a viable option to hurt those who have wronged you.

I don't even think high school aged kids should watch this. I am very hesitant to recommend the show at all. Yes it shines a light on a very difficult subject, but I think it glamorizes suicide and presents it as a viable option to hurt those who have wronged you.

Two episodes to go, but I agree with the above, thus far.

Finished tonight. Disturbing, real, thought-provoking... Will be interesting where they go from here.

I actually thought the acting was one of its strong points. Or at least surpassing of my expectation of a cast comprised of mostly inexperienced actors.

It took me half the series to realize Alex was the kid from Parenthood. Some of the other stars have a pretty good resume, too.

The best acting is done by the lead, Katherine Langford. No previous experience and she was phenomenal.

I don't think the show glamorizes suicide. In fact, I believe the opposite is true. It shows why many kids become depressed and self-loathing by portraying how cruel people can be and shows how much Hannah is missed by the people who truly care about her.

The scenes showing Hannah's parents and how distraught they are tear me apart. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, much less one who takes their own life. This is a harrowing and thought-provoking show, for sure...

I don't think the show glamorizes suicide. In fact, I believe the opposite is true. It shows why many kids become depressed and self-loathing by portraying how cruel people can be and shows how much Hannah is missed by the people who truly care about her.

The scenes showing Hannah's parents and how distraught they are tear me apart. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, much less one who takes their own life. This is a harrowing and thought-provoking show, for sure...

Clay'a pain is what gets me. Knowing that he's going to live the rest of his life with Hannah'a suicide in the back of his mind is haunting and unfortunate.

I struggled thru it because of all the recommendations but it's garbage...and I agree that it glorifies suicide.

Last edited:
At least this show has got people talking about suicide. I have heard from several teenagers that have watched the show say that it opened their eyes about the effects that bullying can cause.

Accidents, homicide, and suicide are the leading causes of death for teenagers. The show showed two people dying from two of those. Accidents and suicide. Jeff, the kid who died in a car accident shows the number 1 cause of death by teenagers, car accidents.

IMO, this show does more for raising awareness on suicide, than it does for glorifying it. What these kids in the show faced are real issues that our youth are facing daily. The parents that are outraged by this show and the content probably do not realize this. I have been out of high school for 7 years now and social media was just starting to get popular. It's out of control for teenagers now. A lady at my work has a daughter in middle school and she told me that she had to meet with a principal twice to get them to remove "*insert daughters name* is a wh***" which was written in the bathroom for every girl in the school to see. She said kids were posting it on Snapchat and it took the school an entire week for them to take it down. Stuff like this, and even worse happens daily around the US. The difference now, compared to when most of the older generation were younger is now it's posted on social media for the whole world to see.

May wanna use spoiler tags.

I would say this show is good for bullies to watch, but I don't think good kids or depressed kids should watch it.

VN Store

Back