'13 FL LB Corey Vereen (UT Commit 3/2/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
File this one away as Corey Vereen continues to seek to be an impact player as a freshman: Vereen has shown a penchant to come in early mornings and get work in on his own. This week, even with workouts grinding, Vereen came in to work alone with his pass-rush moves on one of the tackling dummies and did footwork drills as well. His work ethic has been noticed by many.

- Per VQ

Reactions: 8 people
Gonna be interesting to watch this dudes career unfold...especially on the heels of missing out on Carl Lawson. This dude was a 3*LB coming out, but looked like a 4-5*DE at the O/W game.

I agree. ESPN is the only one that had him at 4 stars but that doesn't matter now. This kid is really young. He is gonna be a good one for us. Him and Lewis should surprise some people.

Gonna be interesting to watch this dudes career unfold...especially on the heels of missing out on Carl Lawson. This dude was a 3*LB coming out, but looked like a 4-5*DE at the O/W game.

I agree - I find his development very interesting.

From everything that's been discussed, I'm not really sure we missed out by not getting Lawson. It's sounding like there's a chance we may already have him. Isn't Vereen about the same size as Lawson?

From everything that's been discussed, I'm not really sure we missed out by not getting Lawson. It's sounding like there's a chance we may already have him. Isn't Vereen about the same size as Lawson?

I think Vereen was slightly taller(an inch or two) coming out of high school. Lawson had the more developed physique, though, I think and had some bulk on Vereen (260 vs 230, though Vereen has reportedly bulked up to 250 since enrolling). At least I think that's what they were both listed at.

An interesting aside on Lawson: Josh Dobbs' highlight tape shows him eluding/breaking multiple Lawson sack attempts.

Joe Henderson and Vereen coming off the edges in the future...:eek:hmy:

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. ESPN is the only one that had him at 4 stars but that doesn't matter now. This kid is really young. He is gonna be a good one for us. Him and Lewis should surprise some people.

There are several things these recruiting services can't rate. You can't measure a guys heart, his drive and determination, his smarts. They judge physical talent only. It is fun to watch a talented kid play, but when a talented kid has the aforementioned qualities it is special to watch.

There are several things these recruiting services can't rate. You can't measure a guys heart, his drive and determination, his smarts. They judge physical talent only. It is fun to watch a talented kid play, but when a talented kid has the aforementioned qualities it is special to watch.[/

i know that.i was just letting the guy know for accuracy sake.

There are several things these recruiting services can't rate. You can't measure a guys heart, his drive and determination, his smarts. They judge physical talent only. It is fun to watch a talented kid play, but when a talented kid has the aforementioned qualities it is special to watch.[/

i know that.i was just letting the guy know for accuracy sake.

Wasn't aimed at you. Just making an statement. :hi:

Don't forget about latroy Lewis. De is healthier for us now then it has been in damn near a decade.

And for this season, don't forget McCullers and Mo Couch up the middle.

I think our D-Line will be a very pleasant surprise this year. Sounds like we've got a great coach too, to go along with very solid talent.

Anyone know how Bynum is doing?

Bynum is playing out of position due to depth in terms of SLB. I heard that Jancek and CBJ want him at MLB next year, but there is no need for him at that position this year because of AJ. Bynum was recruited, along with Latroy Lewis, to be Jack LBs, so it will be interesting to watch their development. I believe Bynum, Maggit, Weatherd, Justin King, and JRM will be huge for us next year at LB. The freshman will get playing time too, and whoever they beat out and play over will be likely choices to look else where to finish their collegiate career. This will be a very good thing as we need more quality depth across the board. I expect by 2015 to lose 8-10 players that are currently on our roster due to freshman coming in and playing over them instantly.

Bynum is playing out of position due to depth in terms of SLB. I heard that Jancek and CBJ want him at MLB next year, but there is no need for him at that position this year because of AJ. Bynum was recruited, along with Latroy Lewis, to be Jack LBs, so it will be interesting to watch their development. I believe Bynum, Maggit, Weatherd, Justin King, and JRM will be huge for us next year at LB. The freshman will get playing time too, and whoever they beat out and play over will be likely choices to look else where to finish their collegiate career. This will be a very good thing as we need more quality depth across the board. I expect by 2015 to lose 8-10 players that are currently on our roster due to freshman coming in and playing over them instantly.

JMO but I'd rather not lose upper classmen to true freshmen out of HS

Also if our coaches platoon the way I think they want, then 20-25 D players should get significant snaps every game

We need quality depth at all positions to keep up in the SEC

JMO but I'd rather not lose upper classmen to true freshmen out of HS

Also if our coaches platoon the way I think they want, then 20-25 D players should get significant snaps every game

We need quality depth at all positions to keep up in the SEC

I don't think anyone says I hope a freshman beats out a junior, but when a freshman and junior are pretty much equal you play the freshman. Due to the lack of true coaching the last 3-4 years, our RS SO and RS freshman have no advantage over pure freshman. Look at Orta and Tino for example. Those guys are getting played over by pure freshman and walkons right now. Plus, we lose no one important in our secondary after this year other then Moore and Juin, and gain as of now 4-5 very good freshman. Guys who aren't cracking the line up now and have been here for more then 2 years are getting recruited over as we speak.

Bynum was always recruited to be a MLB. Don't know who if anyone said he would be a jack. I'm really ready to see a LB crew absent AJ Johnson next season. Crossing my fingers that he jumps.

Bynum was always recruited to be a MLB. Don't know who if anyone said he would be a jack. I'm really ready to see a LB crew absent AJ Johnson next season. Crossing my fingers that he jumps.

Johnson is the best LB we have. He's a liability in some aspects, but he has good pursuit to the ball, and is a good enough tackler. We need all the depth we can get. Rather than him jumping, I'd rather just see more of a rotation.

Reactions: 4 people
But Sapp is gone. So you want maybe our best returning linebacker gone?

I like Sapp much more than Johnson......... :whistling:

I like Sapp too, but to say you rather see AJ leave then stay is plain stupid. He struggles in coverage, but he is the leader of our defense. If we can land a JuCo DT for next year, and 2-3 more really talented freshman D-lineman, our defense, if AJ stayed, could be top 25 next year. We would have all the freshman, with a lot of experience might I add, back at the DB spots, plus gain some really talented freshman at DB/LB. Hopefully Jones will recover and play for us next year, along with Maggit. Maggit IMO can also play the LEO/WDE. Weatherd, Bynum, Harris, JRM, Justin King, Maggit, AJ, and the talented freshman is 300% better depth then what we have this year. We lose no starters in the DB spots, and honestly I think Saulsberry, O'Brien, Williams, J.Miller, Vereen, and Carr with two JuCo D-lineman would be as equally good if not better then this years D-lineman.

Last edited:
We don't have a single LB on campus better than Johnson returning next year. LOL at hoping he leaves an already depleted unit.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back