'12 SC TE Justin Meredith (TN Commit 12/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin Meredith - A hamstring injury that's now approaching a year in length has really prevented any kind of evaluation of the tight end. With the injuries at the tight end position, there is plenty of opportunity for anyone to play there. Before playing can even be a thought with Meredith he must get healthy.

-VQ

Geez it's taken almost a year for that hammy to heal..maybe the best thing would be to shut him down completely..or is he already?

I have wondered for a while why they have not just cut their losses (pun intended) and have the hamstring surgically repaired. That way, he would be good as new by next Spring. My guess is that even if he gets well enough to play some this year, he will be highly subject to re-injury. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

mlsoft

Like for one of VN's docs to chime in on this injury to see what they think is going on. Ive had a pretty substantial hammy injury, but nothing like this.

Like for one of VN's docs to chime in on this injury to see what they think is going on. Ive had a pretty substantial hammy injury, but nothing like this.

Hi tim,
Kinda hard to comment without specific knowledge of his exam, or any work-up.

Imemo, there is something else wrong...or their treatment is awful. If you look back at the team injuries over the past several years, think how long it took Lincoln and Palardy to get over their quad and groin pulls...it came out that Lincoln had a big muscle belly tear (and was still cleared to play!)

I would look at his leg with mri and musculoskeletal ultrasound. Consider PRP injections. Make sure that he does not have a disc herniation that appears to be a muscle strain. Most importantly evaluate his stretching regimen and technique. At least 80% of the time, I find bad technique is the main issue.

I have wondered for a while why they have not just cut their losses (pun intended) and have the hamstring surgically repaired. That way, he would be good as new by next Spring. My guess is that even if he gets well enough to play some this year, he will be highly subject to re-injury. Bite the bullet and get it over with.

mlsoft

If it is a muscle belly tear, no real surgical option...trying to sew torn muscle fibers is like trying to suture cooked spagetti together. Agree though a partial tendon tear should take 4 months MAX to heal, ubless re-injury is taking place. Anyone with insider medical knowledge here? :)

If it is a muscle belly tear, no real surgical option...trying to sew torn muscle fibers is like trying to suture cooked spagetti together. Agree though a partial tendon tear should take 4 months MAX to heal, ubless re-injury is taking place. Anyone with insider medical knowledge here? :)

Suture cooked spaghetti? That's cake.

Hi tim,
Kinda hard to comment without specific knowledge of his exam, or any work-up.

Imemo, there is something else wrong...or their treatment is awful. If you look back at the team injuries over the past several years, think how long it took Lincoln and Palardy to get over their quad and groin pulls...it came out that Lincoln had a big muscle belly tear (and was still cleared to play!)

I would look at his leg with mri and musculoskeletal ultrasound. Consider PRP injections. Make sure that he does not have a disc herniation that appears to be a muscle strain. Most importantly evaluate his stretching regimen and technique. At least 80% of the time, I find bad technique is the main issue.

Thank you for the response. Im going to hope that they have staff that are looking at this injury from all angles like you just spelled out.

Thank you for the response. Im going to hope that they have staff that are looking at this injury from all angles like you just spelled out.

Personally, I am concerned by the number of strained muscles. I am also concerned by the number of "stress fractures "in these players.

Stress fractures occur when the training regimen is progressed at too rapid a pace. Or if the person has osteoporosis or another bone mineral issue. Other than training, the other two options are very unlikely in otherwise young healthy football players.
One other possibility that also concerns me is the equipment. If all the stress fractures are happening to other teams, with other sponsors, then it is not a valid concern.

I don't have any "insider" medical knowledge of this situation but as a certified and licensed athletic trainer I have to also believe Meredith's injury is a result of something else going on or the staff may be pushing the rehab. I agree with you here VolDoc I would definitely consider PRP as a treatment option and see how he reacts to that.

I don't have any "insider" medical knowledge of this situation but as a certified and licensed athletic trainer I have to also believe Meredith's injury is a result of something else going on or the staff may be pushing the rehab. I agree with you here VolDoc I would definitely consider PRP as a treatment option and see how he reacts to that.

Why not just a straight surgical repair first? He hasn't had a repair yet has he? Then if that fails then PRP...with the stress any football players' hamstring goes through, I'd try a repair before even thinking PRP.

But I'm kinda with VolDoc...have to wonder if there is another underlying injury that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

Why not just a straight surgical repair first? He hasn't had a repair yet has he? Then if that fails then PRP...with the stress any football players' hamstring goes through, I'd try a repair before even thinking PRP.

But I'm kinda with VolDoc...have to wonder if there is another underlying injury that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

With some injuries especially a hamstring injury like this one it is best to try and treat it non surgically. You never want the athlete to go into surgery even for a cleanup if at all possible. However at this point with the medical staff having no luck with treatment they will likely look into surgical options. That's just my opinion.

With some injuries especially a hamstring injury like this one it is best to try and treat it non surgically. You never want the athlete to go into surgery even for a cleanup if at all possible. However at this point with the medical staff having no luck with treatment they will likely look into surgical options. That's just my opinion.

Pretty sure Preds&Vols is an Ortho Surgeon...

Maybe the 3 of us should meet in Knoxville and help out! :)

Personally, I am concerned by the number of strained muscles. I am also concerned by the number of "stress fractures "in these players.

Stress fractures occur when the training regimen is progressed at too rapid a pace. Or if the person has osteoporosis or another bone mineral issue. Other than training, the other two options are very unlikely in otherwise young healthy football players.
One other possibility that also concerns me is the equipment. If all the stress fractures are happening to other teams, with other sponsors, then it is not a valid concern.

No, no go ahead and say what you really want to say Doc. The medical staff isn't worth a flip. :)

The issue with hamstrings is trying to rush back. It leads to a longer recovery because it keeps coming back. It's best to let it heal fully before coming back.

The issue with hamstrings is trying to rush back. It leads to a longer recovery because it keeps coming back. It's best to let it heal fully before coming back.

Funny thing to me...the ACL repairs are all ahead of schedule, but a hamstring strain takes a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back