'12 JUCO WR Cordarrelle Patterson (UT signee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, but what does that mean?

Just meant that it's impossible to know. We're talking about probably the 2 best receivers in the sec vs a guy who hasn't gotten to campus.

As skilled as and as GOOD as are two different animals

cp got a b in the class he had to pass and will be here next week. Ut admission won't be a problem.

boooommmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thats fine but you need to read about Saunders 700 page playbook with all the different complexities that must be learned.

Coaches put all kinds of crap in play books. I was looking at an old Saban playbook the other day to brush up on route reading. The first 20 pages or so were talking about the teams goals, how to huddle, team rules, and other garbage I had to scroll through.

Just meant that it's impossible to know. We're talking about probably the 2 best receivers in the sec vs a guy who hasn't gotten to campus.

As skilled as and as GOOD as are two different animals

ah thanks for clarifying. but yes I very much agree. i've just got those old posts hyping CP to DR+JH11 level in my mind, paralleled with the new rivals updates about DR being unguardable during 7v7s. wanted to hear if people had changed their opinions or what was the current vibe around that particular question.

Coaches put all kinds of crap in play books. I was looking at an old Saban playbook the other day to brush up on route reading. The first 20 pages or so were talking about the teams goals, how to huddle, team rules, and other garbage I had to scroll through.

Saunders had grown men whining it was too hard. I believe it was Vermeil who was similar. In any area of life when you change one major variable, it completely changes everything. Each variable changed in a play completely changes what a defense does and what a qb is looking for. But just for another read look for that it's a very good read.

ah thanks for clarifying. but yes I very much agree. i've just got those old posts hyping CP to DR+JH11 level in my mind, paralleled with the new rivals updates about DR being unguardable during 7v7s. wanted to hear if people had changed their opinions or what was the current vibe around that particular question.

CP is in the caliber WR as Hunter and Rogers. I have no idea how teams are going to defend us. We may have issues on defense, but we're going to score a lot of points.

Reactions: 4 people

I believe that for high school ball, in particular, that the best thing a coach can do is learn how to earn respect and be listened to by teenagers. those are the biggest rebel years in a man's life, and sometimes coaches are unable to relate with high school kids the way they need to. but also that is very interesting can you just google his old playbooks? where did you find it?

Here's the summary, we have three amazing WRs that could be #1s at a lot of the top 25 schools in preseason rankings. It's like asking if you would rather have filet mignon or lobster. Both are different but both are sought after.

CP is in the caliber WR as Hunter and Rogers. I have no idea how teams are going to defend us. We may have issues on defense, but we're going to score a lot of points.

Reading that just made this Friday night so much better! Thats what I'm talkin' bout! Just what I was phishing for

Reactions: 1 person
I believe that for high school ball, in particular, that the best thing a coach can do is learn how to earn respect and be listened to by teenagers. those are the biggest rebel years in a man's life, and sometimes coaches are unable to relate with high school kids the way they need to. but also that is very interesting can you just google his old playbooks? where did you find it?

It's a site called fast and furious football. It's really good, and most importantly it's free.

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/collegedefense2/2001 lsu defense.pdf

Here's the summary, we have three amazing WRs that could be #1s at a lot of the top 25 schools in preseason rankings. It's like asking if you would rather have filet mignon or lobster. Both are different but both are sought after.

haha! diggin the analogy

Yes, I'm arguing that, that is one play. Idk how they call plays, but lets assume they use a numbering concept.

You may call 99 one play. The first 9 may tell the oline what blocking scheme to use, we'll say here that 9 means they are using a full zone pass blocking scheme. The second 9 is the passing concept, here we will say that the second 9 means the concept is 4 verticals.

On the next play, maybe I saw something I want to exploit as an OC. Maybe their MLB was matched up on our RB. So I may call 99 F shoot. This would be the exact same play, except now F back is running a shoot route.

If I call 89, I would be running the same play, except with a different pass blocking scheme. 89 may be their half zone pass blocking scheme, or anything else.

So 99 is the same play as 98 because the blocking scheme is the same, and 99 is the same play as 89 because the passing concept is the same.

Similarly, I suppose 88 is the same play as 98 because the passing concept is the same, and 88 is also the same play as 89 because the blocking scheme is the same.

Thus, 88 is the same play as 99, even though both the blocking scheme and the passing concept are different.

In effect, the whole playbook is one giant play (but with differences) because someone is always doing something the same as in another play. I guess that's why they call it the playbook and not the playsbook.

You, my friend, are an offensive coordinating guru of the highest order.

So 99 is the same play as 98 because the blocking scheme is the same, and 99 is the same play as 89 because the passing concept is the same.

Similarly, I suppose 88 is the same play as 98 because the passing concept is the same, and 88 is also the same play as 89 because the blocking scheme is the same.

Thus, 88 is the same play as 99, even though both the blocking scheme and the passing concept are different.

In effect, the whole playbook is one giant play (but with differences) because someone is always doing something the same as in another play. I guess that's why they call it the playbook and not the playsbook.

moved on mayne

No. 99 and 98 would be two different passing concepts, with the same protection. Maybe one is 4 verticals and the other is smash. That's two different passing plays.

And with 88 and 98, if you run the same passing routes but a different pass protection, that's still the same play. Sure it's different for the running backs, oline, and maybe even the wr's if they have a hot concept on the other protection. But the base play is the same. You're still running the smash route.

Similiarly, if you run a new formation but run the same running play, you're still just running one play.

seriously, yall should read this. just started, and very impressive rhetoric

It's one of my favorite websites. A lot of great information on there. The sections I like starts around page twenty and goes into a lot of detail about route reading.

Can't read all that and not weigh in. One thing you are forgetting about number of passing plays is how the formations MAKE them be different plays altogether. How could you say a two tight end set with one wide receiver vs a set with 4 wideouts and one back is the same play because the one wide receiver is running the same route? Just think about that dude. I get what you're saying about just subtle differences, but subtle differences make different plays. Game of inches. Fight for that inch! (Pacino)

On a "side note," outstanding news about CP!!!!!

so it's just semantics.

you define "play" as something like: "the things people do and the places people go after the ball is snapped"...basically, everything except the formation.

others would define "play" as "where everybody lines up, the things they do, and the places they go"

edit - and if that's the case, it's silly to argue. because of course one person is going to say there are more "plays" than the other person

so it's just semantics.

you define "play" as something like: "the things people do and the places people go after the ball is snapped"...basically, everything except the formation.

others would define "play" as "where everybody lines up, the things they do, and the places they go"

I could agree with that. I define play as the basic concepts that we are trying to execute. Most teams only have 20-30 of those total. On the HS level we only have 15.

Everything else is either a tag, a different formation, or a motion used to dress the play up and make things appear more complex to the defense than they really are.

How long will it take him to get acclimated enough to contribute? NC State or middle of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back