'12 IL DT Vincent Valentine

Would be a great pickup for us if his grades aren't too bad. Kid's a monster.

Multiple posts on TOS, including a long one purportedly from his coach (an ex Vol and self professed rabid Vol fan) who all say he scored a 27 on his ACT. Hard to match that up with academic problems.

BTW, the coach (football and track) said that he will not try to pressure Valentine to go to UT, but he did point out the lack of quality talent and depth on our OL and the obvious opportunity for early playing time.

mlsoft

Last edited:
BTW, the coach (football and track) said that he will not try to pressure Valentine to go to UT, but he did point out the lack of quality talent and depth on our OL and the obvious opportunity for early playing time.

mlsoft

Did you mean D Line?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Nebraska leads. He likes FL, TN, and Wisconsin. Main thing he is looking for is a coach to put him in the League, and he feels very comfortable with Nebraska's DL coach.

#30 DT on ESPN:

There is nothing sweet about a day spent on the gridiron with this Valentine. The lineman is a big boy who can be a stout and at times disruptive player. He displays a good get-off though he does need to work to be more consistent as he can be a beat late at times and he also needs to more consistently crowd the ball. He shows flashes of being able to quickly get off the ball and get to half-a-man and power his way into the backfield and cause some disruption. While he can show some flashes he is best as a gap control big man who can eat up some blocks. He is able to take on blockers and hold his ground and eat up some space. He does need to watch his pad level as like a lot of big men he can tend to play high. He also needs to work to be more active with his hands and do a better job of keeping blockers off of him. He is a big dude who can get away with some lapses in technique at the high school level, but will need to play with better technique on a consistent basis at the college level. He can move fairly well for a kid his size in a straight-line and if he gets a ball carrier square in sites he can get him and bring him down. He is a big kid who displays an adequate ability though to change directions and get re-directed. As a pass rusher he has the tools if he can stay low to collapse the pocket and if he can get to the shoulder he has enough burst to close and quickly create some pressure and possibly notch the sack. Valentine is a big boy with some good tools to work with. He needs to keep developing areas of his game but can be stout in the trenches and might fit best as a 3-4 nose. Valentine does remind us a little of 2009 prospect William Campbell and like with Campbell it is also not out of the realm of possibility that big Valentine ends up on the offensive line.

Supposed to be having surgery to repair his detached retina. I don't know the recovery time though. Definitely won't be at camp.

Supposed to be having surgery to repair his detached retina. I don't know the recovery time though. Definitely won't be at camp.

I had a detached retina.. i was back on my feet and back to normal after 2 weeks, BUT i was instructed not to do anything strenuous or physical for 6 months to prevent re-detachment (in my case working out, wakeboarding).

He likes to workout so I bet that ain't happening for a while. The straining may re-injure it.

He could still visit during Camp just not participate.Hope he does so he can get a better feel about UT.

Don't know his situation or prognosis, but it seems to me that detached retina recovery could jeopordize his senior season. Would be interesting to see if he is able to play or not. He'll be totally healthy except for the eye, which makes it much more difficult to sit out, and he won't be able to even participate in a S&C program.

Good luck to him in his recovery.

The Huskers remain No. 1 with Florida and Wisconsin behind. He added that Tennessee is now a favorite as well.

Huskersonline.com

I had a detached retina.. i was back on my feet and back to normal after 2 weeks, BUT i was instructed not to do anything strenuous or physical for 6 months to prevent re-detachment (in my case working out, wakeboarding).

Yep, definitely no strenuous activity! Eye would know murr.

In a voice out of the distant past, Vincent Valentine said in an interview today (Rivals) than now that his season is over he wants to begin making his official visits and decide on his favorites. He listed Tennessee as one of the schools he wants to take an official visit to.

To be honest, I had pretty much forgotten about him, but at 6' 3" and 300 lbs, he is a DT we recruited fairly hard for a while. With our needs for big bodies, I would think we still want him, and just the fact that he wants us to be one of his official visits indicates that we have been working on him all along. He is a 3*, but with a serious offer list.

He still lists Illinois, Nebraska and Florida as his leaders. He has already had his OV to Illinois and plans to OV to Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas.

mlsoft

Last edited:
In a voice out of the distant past, Vincent Valentine said in an interview today (Rivals) than now that his season is over he wants to begin making his official visits and decide on his favorites. He listed Tennessee as one of the schools he wants to take an official visit to.

To be honest, I had pretty much forgotten about him, but at 6' 3" and 300 lbs, he is a DT we recruited fairly hard for a while. With our needs for big bodies, I would think we still want him, and just the fact that he wants us to be one of his official visits indicates that we have been working on him all along. He is a 3*, but with a serious offer list.

He still lists Illinois, Nebraska and Florida as his leaders. He has already had his OV to Illinois and plans to OV to Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas.

mlsoft

Good stuff right there, glad to see the staff hanging in there on this one.

mlsoft

I wondered what happened to Valentine too. He dropped off the radar after an eye injury. You're right. We really don't have a nose tackle. McCullers may have academic problems according to Hubbs. That leaves Valentine as the biggest guy available and interested. He claims to have a "good bull rush." We need the push up the middle in the pass rush. Maybe this is our guy.

I wondered what happened to Valentine too. He dropped off the radar after an eye injury. You're right. We really don't have a nose tackle. McCullers may have academic problems according to Hubbs. That leaves Valentine as the biggest guy available and interested. He claims to have a "good bull rush." We need the push up the middle in the pass rush. Maybe this is our guy.

He could be an answer for the "big body" Dooley wants for our D-line to push the pocket back -- I dunno whether he is or not. At one time there was concern about Valentine's grades also iirc, but if he has his academics in order and especially if he can become an EE, we almost certainly would be interested.

I have never seen much film on this young lad -- does anybody know more about how good he is, or how interested we are??? Does anyone have any senior year film on him??

mlsoft

Is he a take at this point? I wouldnthink we are set at the moment. Or are we thinking backup plan?

VN Store

Back