'12 GA WR Jason Croom (UT SIGNEE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think catching the ball would be first. I doesn't help much to read a defense or create separation if you drop the ball. Clifford Franklin agrees.

Catching the ball means nothing if you can't create seperation or your running the wrong route.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Caught up with Jason Croom earlier, who was on campus from around 7:45 to noon. He said he ran some routes and tested with coach Baggett watching. He said he spent some time with coach Dooley as well.

He said it was a cool visit and good to see what Tennessee had to offer. Next up for him is a visit to Miami.

- PF from VQ

“I liked it a lot at Tennessee,” Croom told InsideTennessee.com. “It was a great trip, I learned a lot about the Vols today.”

“He is a great coach,” Croom said. “He has coached two of my favorite wide receivers in Randy Moss and Chris Carter. He is very easy to talk to, very impressive coach.”

“Right now I don’t have a top five,” Croom said. “I’m looking at a lot of different schools, I definitely plan on coming back to Tennessee for another visit.”

-Scout-

I would think catching the ball would be first. I doesn't help much to read a defense or create separation if you drop the ball. Clifford Franklin agrees.

Really?? Reading coverages and calling audibles happen 'pre-snap'. Explosive separation and route running comes after the snap. Catching the ball and scoring with it comes after that. Seems fairly straightforward. Although I guess you could catch a pass before the ball is snapped. You would have to be Rod Wilks though.

Really?? Reading coverages and calling audibles happen 'pre-snap'. Explosive separation and route running comes after the snap. Catching the ball and scoring with it comes after that. Seems fairly straightforward. Although I guess you could catch a pass before the ball is snapped. You would have to be Rod Wilks though.

When I pay my rent, I pick up a pen, then I fill out a check, then I turn it in to the leasing office. Clearly, picking up the pen is the most important part because it comes first.

You can make all the correct reads you want, and it makes no difference if you don't catch the ball.

Doesn't really make a difference what order it happens in.

Catching the ball means nothing if you can't create seperation or your running the wrong route.

I think this is just wrong. A good QB can put it in the hands of a receiver not creating separation or running a lousy route. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a QB put it in a receivers hands, and he drops it. If creating separation were more important than catching a ball, then we would just go recruit all the winners of the 100M in state track meets.

"@j_croom18 - okay i officially have my top 3 #missst #tennessee #miami"

I think this is just wrong. A good QB can put it in the hands of a receiver not creating separation or running a lousy route. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a QB put it in a receivers hands, and he drops it. If creating separation were more important than catching a ball, then we would just go recruit all the winners of the 100M in state track meets.

Well say what you will. There is some room for different philosophies here but the kid said himself and as a former receiver myself, knowing the play and the route was most important. Most passing plays are about timing and the qb needs to know where you are going to be to put it where he needs too.

Well say what you will. There is some room for different philosophies here but the kid said himself and as a former receiver myself, knowing the play and the route was most important. Most passing plays are about timing and the qb needs to know where you are going to be to put it where he needs too.

I played OG at UT and while I agree that many things have to come together to be good, please consider this. A coach once told me"You think too much, by the time you think, it's too late. you have to react." Timing is achieved by practicing a play over and over until it's muscle memory, not thinking. A receiver having good hands and catching a ball is a gift, and not something that's easily learned from repetition. For a receiver, speed and hands are a fundamental talent. Busted plays might be another talent (brains), but timing and running good routes is a coaching issue.

Learning the playbook and how to read coverages and knowing what routes to run would be most important (same for Qb's). Explosive separation at the line of scrimmage would be next. Precise route running would be third. Catching the ball in your hands at nearly full extension (don't let the ball get into you pads) comes fourth. Then you need speed to score (so speed would be fifth in importance). Or just watch the episode of Game Changers with Micheal Irvin or film of Jerry Rice. That should do it for a young wideout.

I totally agree with most of this, except the hands part. In my mind it boils down to, good hands, then good brain, then good quickness off the line of scrimmage, then high end speed (top speed as opposed to acceleration). The problem that recruiters have is that brains and hands are difficult to evaluate off a highlight video. They don't show the bad routes or the dropped catches.

Yeah, he's down in Miami right now on his visit.

this is not a "Vol Lock" situation

Seems more enamored with Miami than he does anywhere else, but we'll see. I really don't know anything about this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back