1 word to describe this team:

Ready

Last night was a wrestling match more than a basketball game. Usually we don't respond to those type of games well but last night they did. They found a way to get it done with Dalton not having the best game. Texas did well keeping him in check all night. The other guys stepped up when we had to have them. Good team win last night

There are a bunch of words already mentioned here to describe this team - one thing that is crystal clear is that any other Barnes UT team would have lost this game, but this one somehow found a way to win and advance.

One huge part is obviously the presence of a legit scoring threat and money player in DK, but the other is an innate ability of this group to dig deep and find a way when all appears lost - getting the key stop when they had to, making high pressure free throws, and never letting defeat enter their minds.

Barnes & Co. did a brilliant job of building a team full of high character kids and multiple leaders who just will never give up as long as they have a breath left. I'm so damn proud of this group, and really hope they get their well-earned trip to the Final Four - and beyond.

Awaka has to learn how not to foul. He’s far more built for this tournament than Aidoo is.
Awaka is the strongest dude on the floor no matter who TN is playing. I think the officials call fouls due to this. Every time he barely touches someone they call it. He went over the back on a rebound but didn’t touch the guy and they called it. Players try to bull past him but get knocked on their butt when they run into him. His development has been phenomenal.

CLANG!

Just kidding. This is what happens when 2 extremely good defensive teams play. Legs are tired from the long sets and the defensive intensity at the 3 point line is strong.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Thank you for not saying "resiliency" which is not a word. Everyone says that, but the word is resilience.
Philosophically I agree with you. The word feels like the same level of stupidity as superfluousness at “commentate”. Interestingly, resiliency has been around since the 1600’s and is recognized in the OED. It is used interchangeably and correctly as a substitute with the preferred “resilience”. As a matter of etymology, the construction/suffix suggests that resiliency should be used to measure the abstract and resilience to gauge the act itself. American idiots trying to sound fancy say resiliency more often. That makes it unpleasant, but not incorrect.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of words already mentioned here to describe this team - one thing that is crystal clear is that any other Barnes UT team would have lost this game, but this one somehow found a way to win and advance.

One huge part is obviously the presence of a legit scoring threat and money player in DK, but the other is an innate ability of this group to dig deep and find a way when all appears lost - getting the key stop when they had to, making high pressure free throws, and never letting defeat enter their minds.

Barnes & Co. did a brilliant job of building a team full of high character kids and multiple leaders who just will never give up as long as they have a breath left. I'm so damn proud of this group, and really hope they get their well-earned trip to the Final Four - and beyond.
Agree. They could have folded several times but didn't. I didn't think Texas played a good game in the first round, but they were playing well against us. Our defense saved us, lots of steals, turnovers, and the guys kept plugging even though the 3s weren't falling. Should be an interesting game against Creighton. Keep them off the 3 point line and play good defense the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: sami
Agree. They could have folded several times but didn't. I didn't think Texas played a good game in the first round, but they were playing well against us. Our defense saved us, lots of steals, turnovers, and the guys kept plugging even though the 3s weren't falling. Should be an interesting game against Creighton. Keep them off the 3 point line and play good defense the rest will take care of itself.

Yeah, those things as well as two keys to winning in March that we did last night - control the boards on both ends and clutch free throws shooting. Like you said, this will be much like playing Kentucky in that chasing them off the 3-point line and making them settle for contested 2's will be huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
never seen a team this bad and still win,, love all these guys for the effort
This has to be a sign, right? A team that can’t hit water loses 90% of the time. Surely we will bounce back and play well Fri and then Sunday.

Truth. But be careful, some of these folks don't like the truth

Wrong. All of us here completely understand the "truth", but what does criticizing Aidoo's character have to do with the idea of this thread?

And what is the point of continuously provoking with negative posts, even right after an NCAA tournament win? If I was that negative all the time about something I was passionate about to the point of endless threadcrapping and trolling, I'd question why the hell I was expending all this time and energy.

Nice win. A few random thoughts: Awaka must stop the stupid fouls. ZZ throws his alley oop passes too high too often. Aidoo isn't finishing with his left hand as well as he was in the middle of the year. He's right handed-maybe he should try to get in position to finish with his right hand more.

This was a good win. In the tournament you have to win ugly. A win like this gives you more confidence to succeed vs fail. We have a week to tweak the things that went wrong. It will give us an edge going forward against Creighton.

Another tough game but can somebody tell me how we match up with them defensively and offensively by individual. I wish Vescovi and James could be more of a factor, James hit a critical 3 but face it our defense save our butts last night. Vescovi still searching for his shot.

Are we too exposed in the middle of the court, defensively? I still think this team is destined. It all comes down to officiating from here on out.

These officials need to consistently call the game the same across the board. One rule book with many different interpretations. For the most part officials have called games about what you would expect. They have missed more potential game deciders than usual. No way to fix it without review.

VN Store

Back