1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

Speaking of great D, and I think this has gone way underappreciated, JP held Paopao, the nation's leading 3 pt % shooter, to 3-12 on 3s in the 3 games, 8-29 fm the field overall. A big reason we were close all three times. I hope someday we remember that as well as those damn missed fts.
I'm glad Paopao didn't make the last shot as it wouldn't have been a brick, a one in a million or lucky shot but just a regular 3 pointer without the baggage. LOL

I'm glad Paopao didn't make the last shot as it wouldn't have been a brick, a one in a million or lucky shot but just a regular 3 pointer without the baggage. LOL
PP had no opportunity bc amazingly JP, fresh off the most devastating moment of her basketball life, once again had her completely locked down. JP's mental toughness is incredible.

PP had no opportunity bc amazingly JP, fresh off the most devastating moment of her basketball life, once again had her completely locked down. JP's mental toughness is incredible.
Initially Dawn wanted to get the ball to PP but with 1.1 seconds there wasn't enough time for Cardoso to make the pass for a shot and a direct pass from Fulwiley was too risky. You can actually see in one video the moment Dawn changed her mind and said to Cardoso "shoot the _____ ball".

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Initially Dawn wanted to get the ball to PP but with 1.1 seconds there wasn't enough time for Cardoso to make the pass and a direct pass from Fulwiley was too risky. You can actually see in one video the moment Dawn changed her mind and said to Cardoso "shoot the _____ ball".
Can you ever just give credit? JP took out PP as an option, on that play and throughout the series. It was always catch and shoot, no extra pass.

Last edited:
Can you ever give credit? JP made PP not an option, on that play and throughout the series. With the pass unguarded, Raven could have sent it almost anywhere. I believe Dawn lined PP up away fm the ball side bc she knew JP would take her out of the play. Fulwiley vs Spear was much more likely for a popout and shoot.
So Fulwiley makes a long inbounds pass to Cardosa and then Cardosa passes the ball to another player for their shot - and all of that has to transpire in less than 1.1 seconds? Do you think that is possible? Dawn knew better and that's why she had Cardosa shoot the ball.

Reactions: mcannon1
So Fulwiley makes a long inbounds pass to Cardosa and then Cardosa passes the ball to another player for their shot - and all of that has to transpire in less than 1.1 seconds? Do you think that is possible? Dawn knew better and that's why she had Cardosa shoot the ball.
No, as I've always said, catch and shoot only. Either a wing popping out for the pass and shoot, which Dawn realized probably couldn't have happened, or KC. Dawn made the right call. But doesn't change the point that JP locked the nations highest % 3 pt shooter, AGAIN.,right after missing those fts. OK for us to celebrate that without deflecting it to Dawn praise?

I agree that JP deserves praise for her excellent defense on Paopao but I'm not sure what her efforts had to do with Cardoso's winning 3 point shot? Any chance of a shooter popping out to shoot would have required a direct inlet pass from Fulwiley and Dawn never considered that as an option. With only 1.1 seconds left in the game not only did Dawn made the right decision but it was the only decision she could make that had any chance for success. FWIW the clock expired while Cardoso's ball was still in flight.

Reactions: mcannon1
I agree that JP deserves praise for her excellent defense on Paopao but I'm not sure what her efforts had to do with Cardoso's winning 3 point shot? Any chance of a shooter popping out to shoot would have required a direct inlet pass from Fulwiley and Dawn never considered that as an option. With only 1.1 seconds left in the game not only did Dawn made the right decision but it was the only decision she could make that had any chance for success. FWIW the clock expired while Cardoso's ball was still in flight.
Thanks for confirming. You actually cannot not let it turn into Dawn praise.

Apparently the worry was about direct inbound catch and shoot by Fulwiley. Once again, everyone knew it was catch and shoot only

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The LVs came back from double digit deficeits all year. And from a 17 pt one in the SEC semis last year. So no, the comeback was not a fluke. At all. It was earned by sustained great adjustments and great play.

The shot? A complete one off fluke. But it still counts.
Take a big (TK) from under the bucket to prevent a breakaway in bound layup to guard a big who had never shot or hit a 3 point shot in a collegiate game seems like a bad use of resources. However she did hit the shot and now we have all these Johnny come Latelys discussing how Cardosa works on that shot daily. Yeah and if you belie4ve that there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you. Had Cardosa missed that shot, you would have heard Dawn and her staff discussing how they had not other option with one second and the ball in Cardosa's hands who never had taken or worked on that shot. Success has a million fathers.

Reactions: papatomany
Take a big (TK) from under the bucket to prevent a breakaway in bound layup to guard a big who had never shot or hit a 3 point shot in a collegiate game seems like a bad use of resources. However she did hit the shot and now we have all these Johnny come Latelys discussing how Cardosa works on that shot daily. Yeah and if you belie4ve that there's a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you. Had Cardosa missed that shot, you would have heard Dawn and her staff discussing how they had not other option with one second and the ball in Cardosa's hands who never had taken or worked on that shot. Success has a million fathers.
You are wrong my friend as all bigs at SC practice 3 point shots. Remember Boston and Wilson? It's the last thing Coach Boyer requires them do at the end of each practice session. I wouldn't be surprised if TK doesn't practice 3 point shots.

You are wrong my friend as all bigs at SC practice 3 point shots. Remember Boston and Wilson? It's the last thing Coach Boyer requires them do at the end of each practice session. I wouldn't be surprised if TK doesn't practice 3 point shots.
So, am I to understand that if the entire team practices length of the court shots at the end of every practice, it suddenly makes a desperation heave from the other free throw line a good shot? Of course not. For the question at hand: "was this or wasn't this a horrible defensive maneuver to let her shoot that shot with no one in her face", it doesn't matter how much she practices the lousy shot, but whether practicing makes it more likely to go in. And the answer is, no. It does not. After "practicing the shot", she missed so badly that it went in. If she had been just a bit more accurate, it would have missed. To suggest that practice is what made a horribly inaccurate three point attempt to go in is beyond ludicrous.

Reactions: Remy
Even if she had made a clean shot, it would have been just as much of a fluke for her.
Instead of giving her a 10% chance of making a fluke shot, put someone on the inbounder or a lot closer to Cardosa and change that 10% to 3%. And even though it was a fluke shot, the point is that RJ was on no one.
I don't agree that it would have gone from 10% to 3%. It was already 3%, and the attempt was so far off that any defensive effort would have made it, well, 3%. As I said before, a steal or a blocked shot might have made a difference, but the shot was three feet long and most likely would have been three feet long with a swarm of defenders around her.

So, am I to understand that if the entire team practices length of the court shots at the end of every practice, it suddenly makes a desperation heave from the other free throw line a good shot? Of course not. For the question at hand: "was this or wasn't this a horrible defensive maneuver to let her shoot that shot with no one in her face", it doesn't matter how much she practices the lousy shot, but whether practicing makes it more likely to go in. And the answer is, no. It does not. After "practicing the shot", she missed so badly that it went in. If she had been just a bit more accurate, it would have missed. To suggest that practice is what made a horribly inaccurate three point attempt to go in is beyond ludicrous.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Even if she had made a clean shot, it would have been just as much of a fluke for her.
Instead of giving her a 10% chance of making a fluke shot, put someone on the inbounder or a lot closer to Cardosa and change that 10% to 3%. And even though it was a fluke shot, the point is that RJ was on no one.
A shot from 23 feet by an All-SEC player
who’s wide open seems pretty manageable.

I think practicing long shots, even as a fun comaraderie-building, friendly-betting competition like many WNBA teams do in practice, would almost have to help at least a teeny bit.

For instance, if I am a celebrity athlete who has never thrown a baseball from a pitcher's mound, but am one day asked to throw out the first pitch for a local pro team, chances are my pitch will be way off because that distance is hard to judge if you've never thrown it. Lots of people throw first pitches way short of home plate.

But if I've practiced it, even three times, I get a better idea of how much harder a person has to throw it to get it there than they otherwise would have thought without trying and failing first.

The accuracy thing is mostly good luck for most non-three-shooting players IMO, but the key is to give yourself a chance by at least knowing generally how much strength it's gonna take to heave it that distance.

One of my favorite Seattle Storm practice videos is of Mercedes Russell winning the day's hundred with her half-court shot. She shoots them regularly because one just never knows when it might be necessary in a game!

In the middle of a battle I would never hand my enemy a loaded gun even if I know they had never shot a Gun. They may get lucky enough to hit/kill me. She should have been guarded.

I think practicing long shots, even as a fun comaraderie-building, friendly-betting competition like many WNBA teams do in practice, would almost have to help at least a teeny bit.

For instance, if I am a celebrity athlete who has never thrown a baseball from a pitcher's mound, but am one day asked to throw out the first pitch for a local pro team, chances are my pitch will be way off because that distance is hard to judge if you've never thrown it. Lots of people throw first pitches way short of home plate.

But if I've practiced it, even three times, I get a better idea of how much harder a person has to throw it to get it there than they otherwise would have thought without trying and failing first.

The accuracy thing is mostly good luck for most non-three-shooting players IMO, but the key is to give yourself a chance by at least knowing generally how much strength it's gonna take to heave it that distance.

One of my favorite Seattle Storm practice videos is of Mercedes Russell winning the day's hundred with her half-court shot. She shoots them regularly because one just never knows when it might be necessary in a game!

This is spot on. I have never played a round of golf in my life. Just the basic Putt Putt.

During a business meeting held in the conference room of a Golf Club as a prize we had a long putt contest. Everyone else in the group were golfers. You had three attempts to make the long putt. First putt I was way short. Second I overhshot by a lot. Third I was the only one in the group to drain the putt.

Anyone can get lucky on any given day.

The point I'm making is that you've given theoretical situations, but in the ACTUAL situation (and to continue with your analogy), after all that practice, she threw the first pitch off the backstop. All of that practice turned out to be completely useless. The fact that it ricocheted off the backstop, and bounced off the umps head, ending up in the catcher's mitt, doesn't change that.

Reactions: glv98
In the middle of a battle I would never hand my enemy a loaded gun even if I know they had never shot a Gun. They may get lucky enough to hit/kill me. She should have been guarded.

This is spot on. I have never played a round of golf in my life. Just the basic Putt Putt.

During a business meeting held in the conference room of a Golf Club as a prize we had a long putt contest. Everyone else in the group were golfers. You had three attempts to make the long putt. First putt I was way short. Second I overhshot by a lot. Third I was the only one in the group to drain the putt.

Anyone can get lucky on any given day.
So, you're saying that in her situation, you failed twice. If it was a one shot deal, you would have lost. She did what you did on your second shot. The equivalent would be if the one you overshot had ricocheted off a back wall and gone in. And, that would have to be the only attempt you got to actually be equivalent.

The point I'm making is that you've given theoretical situations, but in the ACTUAL situation (and to continue with your analogy), after all that practice, she threw the first pitch off the backstop. All of that practice turned out to be completely useless. The fact that it ricocheted off the backstop, and bounced off the umps head, ending up in the catcher's mitt, doesn't change that.
If you had a baseball player threw the pitch, I doubt the result is as comedic as some want it to be.

All-SEC player shot a routine open shot and made it. It’s not that hard to imagine it going in.

The inbounds should have been guarded. Hard to get a shot off quickly if the inbounds pass isn't on target. Terrible mistake by Tennessee.

Reactions: coy moore
If you had a baseball player threw the pitch, I doubt the result is as comedic as some want it to be.

All-SEC player shot a routine open shot and made it. It’s not that hard to imagine it going in.
‘Specially if you saw it bank in…

I do find it hard to believe we’re still beating this horse. 🐴 🔫

The inbounds should have been guarded. Hard to get a shot off quickly if the inbounds pass isn't on target. Terrible mistake by Tennessee.
I’d settle for someone on all fours barking to distract as soon and she got the ball.

VN Store

Back