1 second left and you don't offer any defense?

It was a brick that flukishly went in.
You can call it a brick but it's a shot she practices every day with Coach Boyer. The faulty assumption here is if you never attempt a 3 point shot in a game you must be unable to make one. Dawn will tell you she encourages Cardosa to take 3 point shots, just like she did with other bigs like Boston and Aja but Cardosa elects not to. I'd bet several of the posters here with some practice could also make that shot especially if unguarded. With just over a second left Dawn recognized there's wasn't enough time for any other option but I'm not sure Kellie did.

With just over a second left Dawn recognized there's wasn't enough time for any other option but I'm not sure Kellie did.
The horse that never dies!

What we've been able to gather Kellie actually did know, but chose a "hedge toward the wing" D. More worried about Fulwiley popping away fm Jewel for a catch and shoot than Kamilla doing what she did. So RIckea was in no man's land, probably supposed to play center field. Of course where she was (where KJH carefully placed her) actually rendered the team's best athlete useless.

I've said I bet this odd D was driven by analytics but turned out to be too clever by half. Just do the obvious and guard every player or the inbound pass. C'est le vie.

Also, every player loves to throw up long 3s and half court shots in practice. One of the most fun parts.

The horse that never dies!

What we've been able to gather Kellie actually did know, but chose a "hedge toward the wing" D. More worried about Fulwiley popping away fm Jewel for a catch and shoot than Kamilla doing what she did. So RIckea was in no man's land, probably supposed to play center field. Of course where she was (where KJH carefully placed her) actually rendered the team's best athlete useless.

I've said I bet this odd D was driven by analytics but turned out to be too clever by half. Just do the obvious and guard every player or the inbound pass. C'est le vie.
Five on four just do it. Still can't understand what Rickea was doing that is on Coach Harper.

You can call it a brick but it's a shot she practices every day with Coach Boyer. The faulty assumption here is if you never attempt a 3 point shot in a game you must be unable to make one. Dawn will tell you she encourages Cardosa to take 3 point shots, just like she did with other bigs like Boston and Aja but Cardosa elects not to. I'd bet several of the posters here with some practice could also make that shot especially if unguarded. With just over a second left Dawn recognized there's wasn't enough time for any other option but I'm not sure Kellie did.
She practices banking in 3s from out front? She practices missing so badly it goes in? Practicing something doesn't mean you're not horrible at it. 20% free throw shooters practice free throws. How in the world is that any kind of argument that it wasn't a horrible shot choice? I call it a brick because it was a brick. A fluke is a fluke. Unless we stole the ball or blocked the shot, the chance of such a flukey shot doesn't change even with three defenders standing near her. It was a fluke. It went in in spite of her efforts not because of them.

I'm all for the argument that someone should have been on the inbounder. I'm all for the argument that there were other poor coaching maneuvers. But the shot itself? No. It was a horrible shot choice and a horrible shot. Dawn blew it, and it still worked out for her.

Reactions: FormerLadyVolFan
Just to button this all up, read an article from Maria today where she described the last minute defense as being set up to "hedge toward the wing". Which explains Rickea on the island, cheating toward the wing. Apparently they were more worried about Fulwiley popping out of the corner on Jewel and catching and shooting than they were about Kamilla being left wide open, and the inbound pass being unguarded. And there's probably an analytic somewhere that says that's statistically the right call, though that seems astonishing to me.

It's the most Kellie Harper thing in the world that the one highly unlikely thing that could happen to blow that up is exactly what happened - Kamilla shooting and hitting the 3.
Still had 5 players available for defense, and only one shot that, if made, could end the game.

She practices banking in 3s from out front? She practices missing so badly it goes in? Practicing something doesn't mean you're not horrible at it. 20% free throw shooters practice free throws. How in the world is that any kind of argument that it wasn't a horrible shot choice? I call it a brick because it was a brick. A fluke is a fluke. Unless we stole the ball or blocked the shot, the chance of such a flukey shot doesn't change even with three defenders standing near her. It was a fluke. It went in in spite of her efforts not because of them.

I'm all for the argument that someone should have been on the inbounder. I'm all for the argument that there were other poor coaching maneuvers. But the shot itself? No. It was a horrible shot choice and a horrible shot. Dawn blew it, and it still worked out for her.
Even if she had made a clean shot, it would have been just as much of a fluke for her.
Instead of giving her a 10% chance of making a fluke shot, put someone on the inbounder or a lot closer to Cardosa and change that 10% to 3%. And even though it was a fluke shot, the point is that RJ was on no one.

Hard to say a player with her accolades from HS to last week made a fluke shot.

A brick shot is a missed shot. Look up the definition. I agree it was a horrible shot for the LV's. Dawn didn't blow it Kellie did.

Hard to say a player with her accolades from HS to last week made a fluke shot.

I watched this player since high school ! At first she could not make a goal while stand under the goal…. And eventually she got to where she could make 1-2 foot shots ! And foul shots would not draw iron or almost break the backboard ! But she did get better ? Even now …. Her game is within 2-3 feet of the goal and she can make foul shots ….. I don’t think she normally shoots outside of 5 feet ? But a 30 foot shot that banks in ?
Common sense please ! 🤷‍♂️

So which is more likely to happen Cardoso making a 3 point shot or the LV's overcoming a 23 point deficit to take the lead against SC? Which would you have bet on? Is one a fluke and the other not a fluke?

Reactions: Raebo
Dawn didn't blow it Kellie did.
Dawn didn't blow anything. She backed into the perfect call. I believe Dawn had more or less already conceded the loss, which is why she told the most unlikely 3 pt shooter on the planet to just go for it. Like others on this site, she probably thought the semis of the SEC tourney was not the worst place in the world to take an L. Then Kellie and the universe gifted her.

To say any banked shot from 30 ft in front is not lucky is just silly. I do give credit to KC's practice of the shot for at least getting it lined up to luck in.
Kellie the math major is a very analytical and stats driven coach. I'm sure stats told her Fulwiley popping away fm Jewel, who isn't a great defender yet, was the greater threat. She had run the exact same D on the previous inbound when SC had a chance to tie. Of course common sense would have been far better. Makes this loss hurt a million times more.

Last edited:
So which is more likely to happen Cardoso making a 3 point shot or the LV's overcoming a 23 point deficit to take the lead against SC? Which would you have bet on? Is one a fluke and the other not a fluke?
The LVs came back from double digit deficeits all year. And from a 17 pt one in the SEC semis last year. So no, the comeback was not a fluke. At all. It was earned by sustained great adjustments and great play.

The shot? A complete one off fluke. But it still counts.

Dawn didn't blow anything. She backed into the perfect call. I believe Dawn had more or less just conceded the loss, which is why she told the most unlikely 3 pt shooter on the planet to just go for it. Like others on this site, she probably thought the semis of the SEC tourney was not the worst place in the world to take an L. Then Kellie and the universe gifted her.

To say any banked shot from 30 ft in front is not lucky is just silly. I do give credit to KC's practice of the shot for at least getting it lined up to luck in.

Kellie the math major is a very analytical and stats driven coach. I'm sure stats told her Fulwiley popping away fm Jewel, who isn't a great defender yet, was the greater threat. She had run the exact same D on the previous inbound when SC had a chance to tie. Of course common sense would have been far better. Makes this loss hurt a million times more.
Did not know Kellie was a math major and wish I could stop learning things that endear her to me 😅 As a math nerd, it just makes me want her to be successful even more, if that was possible.

Dawn didn't blow anything. She backed into the perfect call. I believe Dawn had more or less just conceded the loss, which is why she told the most unlikely 3 pt shooter on the planet to just go for it. Like others on this site, she probably thought the semis of the SEC tourney was not the worst place in the world to take an L. Then Kellie and the universe gifted her.

I know you don't want them to score a two, but they are not getting an open look at a three I don't care who it is. I'll play them overtime, but won't lose on a three that is not guarded. That play is just hanging on me like a weight even all the way to Friday. Have never seen a team lose like that. I have seen guarded threes go in or someone throw up a 70 footer that goes in. I have never seen a player totally unguarded that close to the basket.

I know you don't want them to score a two, but they are not getting an open look at a three I don't care who it is. I'll play them overtime, but won't lose on a three that is not guarded. That play is just hanging on me like a weight even all the way to Friday. Have never seen a team lose like that. I have seen guarded threes go in or someone throw up a 70 footer that goes in. I have never seen a player totally unguarded that close to the basket.
Said everyone everywhere except Kellie.

I just hate that the players are getting roasted for it. Saw a post last night just destroying TK. Most have blamed Rickea. Very unfair,

I watched this player since high school ! At first she could not make a goal while stand under the goal…. And eventually she got to where she could make 1-2 foot shots ! And foul shots would not draw iron or almost break the backboard ! But she did get better ? Even now …. Her game is within 2-3 feet of the goal and she can make foul shots ….. I don’t think she normally shoots outside of 5 feet ? But a 30 foot shot that banks in ?
She was a 5 star and number 5 player out of high school. 2020 was a great year for high school recruits: Number 1 through 4 were Bueckers, Reese, Brink and Clark. Her stats have continued to improve every year. RJ was also the 5th ranked player in 2019. Common sense tells me you wouldn't make it as a player evaluator.

Last edited:
The LVs came back from double digit deficeits all year. And from a 17 pt one in the SEC semis last year. So no, the comeback was not a fluke. At all. It was earned by sustained great adjustments and great play.

The shot? A complete one off fluke. But it still counts.
So when have they ever come back from a 23 point deficit to the #1 team in the nation which happens to be the #1 defensive team before? It's not a trivial accomplishment but had they won it would have been an all time record.

So when have they ever come back from a 23 point deficit to the #1 team in the nation which happens to be the #1 defensive team before? It's not a trivial accomplishment but had they won it would have been an all time record.
If that's the best defensive team in the country then we're going to the Final Four.

Speaking of great D, and I think this has gone way underappreciated, JP held Paopao, the nation's leading 3 pt % shooter, to 3-12 on 3s in the 3 games, 8-29 fm the field overall. A big reason we were close all three times. I hope someday we remember that as well as those damn missed fts.

VN Store

Back