‘23 PA SF Justin Edwards

He’s asking which recruits did we specifically lose out on due to recruiting a 5-star for too long, and which 5-star caused us to miss those recruits.
I definitely never said Plan B’s were exclusively 5 stars? That was actually my point, pursuing highly ranked 5 star for too long has cost us some very good high level 4 stars. However, continuing the pursuit of Cason Wallace definitely could’ve cost us Hood-Schifino if we wanna talk just 5 stars.

According to this, 98% chance of Edwards to UK…in other words this would be the biggest high profile miss in recent recruiting history if he doesn’t go to UK.

I definitely never said Plan B’s were exclusively 5 stars? That was actually my point, pursuing highly ranked 5 star for too long has cost us some very good high level 4 stars. However, continuing the pursuit of Cason Wallace definitely could’ve cost us Hood-Schifino if we wanna talk just 5 stars.

I think you misread my post, but you answered the question still anyway. He wasn’t asking “which 5-star did we miss on” he was asking “which 5-star did we recruit for too long that caused us to miss out on other recruits” which could be any star level. But, you ended up answering the question regardless so thank you.

I realize I stirred the pot on this one. The counter to my original statement is that the coaches were watching the final game at one of the most important high school events of the year. I think there is a case to be made that you show up no matter what. EYBL and Nike are important constituents in our orbit, and Augusta SC is a short hop. As for when to quit recruiting, I’ll leave that to them. BTO is right that we’ve waited at the alter a couple of times, and gotten burned. We also navigated a really precarious week when the world decided Phillips was gone, and they rescued it. The more I hear about that instance, the more I realize how close we came to not signing him. There are good reasons to show up either way. He was the best player at the event. If he signs with KY, it’s because 10 year old him liked the brand. His family, advisors and 18 year old him were pretty sold on us two weeks ago. We’ll probably just lose this one on glitz.
Ehh, I'm not sure I'd call it stirring the pot. You simply reported what was what. Our coaches were there, for better or worse.

I'm certain UK is that answer, but it doesn't seem like Edwards, despite him saying he's made his decision, has told our coaches thanks, but no thanks, yet.

And I agree with BTO that recently we have gone down with the ship on a few guys when we shouldn't have, and it distracted our efforts away from other targets. Not sure if that is the case here, or not.

UK is just going to always be hard to beat out for a kid they want. We are fighting way too much against the mystique and glitter of that program, their history, and their ability to put kids in the NBA. It won't ever be easy going head-to-head with them.

Regarding the possibility that UT coaches don’t have Plan B’s when they aren’t able to sign a recruit like Edwards- I don‘t know, maybe that’s true but it seems far fetched to me.

Just me but I don’t see any problem at all with Barnes watching Edwards play during the live period when he is still officially uncommitted. Barnes is going to be at a lot of live period games anyway. Watching Edwards doesn’t necessarily mean Barnes doesn’t have a Plan B. Just because we don’t know what Plan B is doesn’t mean there is no Plan B.

Ehh, I'm not sure I'd call it stirring the pot. You simply reported what was what. Our coaches were there, for better or worse.

I'm certain UK is that answer, but it doesn't seem like Edwards, despite him saying he's made his decision, has told our coaches thanks, but no thanks, yet.

And I agree with BTO that recently we have gone down with the ship on a few guys when we shouldn't have, and it distracted our efforts away from other targets. Not sure if that is the case here, or not.

UK is just going to always be hard to beat out for a kid they want. We are fighting way too much against the mystique and glitter of that program, their history, and their ability to put kids in the NBA. It won't ever be easy going head-to-head with them.
The data we have is that the kid told a reporter he’s going to KY. He probably will. I guess the question is— do you stop recruiting a kid in the last week based on that information, or keep trying? Not knowing any more specifics, the investment of a few more days after eighteen months doesn’t feel reckless. We probably aren’t pulling this one out of the fire, but there’s no downside here. It doesn’t feel commensurate with Cason Wallace— who we wasted months on.

The data we have is that the kid told a reporter he’s going to KY. He probably will. I guess the question is— do you stop recruiting a kid in the last week based on that information, or keep trying? Not knowing any more specifics, the investment of a few more days after eighteen months doesn’t feel reckless. We probably aren’t pulling this one out of the fire, but there’s no downside here. It doesn’t feel commensurate with Cason Wallace— who we wasted months on.
Yes, I agree with that.

If you remember, I cautioned against this at about this very time, last year.

I would argue the downside is that instead of being the team front and center for Estrella, or Dilione, or Demary or Carr and possibly vaulting yourself to the lead for those guys as they notice the attention you’re giving them…you’re instead front and center for a guy you almost certainly aren’t getting while other staffs are front and center for the players I named. Now, maybe it doesn’t matter in the end and you still land those guys, but if you don’t I think you certainly wonder if that move hurt.

Reactions: berryvol
I think you misread my post, but you answered the question still anyway. He wasn’t asking “which 5-star did we miss on” he was asking “which 5-star did we recruit for too long that caused us to miss out on other recruits” which could be any star level. But, you ended up answering the question regardless so thank you.
Gotcha, the double mention of 5 star made me take it as asking which 5 star caused us to miss another 5 star.

Barnes also gets to scout Edwards. He’ll be facing him at least 2 times this season. Even if JE is KY bound it’s not a total waste of time. Plus the staff is networking with elite players.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Bruin time? What became of him anyway?
Nah, not looking for a cookie. It was just pertinent to the conversation about those two specific players. I was insistent on pushing for JHS even at the risk of potentially losing Wallace thinking that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush. In the end, we got neither, which was my fear at the time.

Not sure what happened to Bruin, though. I've wondered the same thing.

I would argue the downside is that instead of being the team front and center for Estrella, or Dilione, or Demary or Carr and possibly vaulting yourself to the lead for those guys as they notice the attention you’re giving them…you’re instead front and center for a guy you almost certainly aren’t getting while other staffs are front and center for the players I named. Now, maybe it doesn’t matter in the end and you still land those guys, but if you don’t I think you certainly wonder if that move hurt.
I was under the impression this was the only game going on, or at least the only one we had an immediate vested interest. Maybe I was projecting with that assumption. Were any of those other players also playing elsewhere at the same time?

I was under the impression this was the only game going on, or at least the only one we had an immediate vested interest. Maybe I was projecting with that assumption. Were any of those other players also playing elsewhere at the same time?
Yes, adidas and under armour both have their events currently going on in other cities. None of Estrella, Demary or Dilione play EYBL.

Isn't Edwards supposed to announce pretty soon? If so, why bail at this point? You never know what is going to change before he actually signs. I think a player of this caliber you have to recruit until the end.

Yes, adidas and under armour both have their events currently going on in other cities. None of Estrella, Demary or Dilione play EYBL.
I have to believe they have a very thoughtful strategy regarding who they see, when, and why. I can’t imagine jumping ship on a kid with a week left because an internet recruiting reporter decided to close the case. He announces Monday. I’d be amazed if we lose any recruits by attending a single game of another top recruit.

I have to believe they have a very thoughtful strategy regarding who they see, when, and why. I can’t imagine jumping ship on a kid with a week left because an internet recruiting reporter decided to close the case. He announces Monday. I’d be amazed if we lose any recruits by attending a single game of another top recruit.
It’s never gonna be explicit enough to say well because we didn’t watch so and so on 7/20/22 that’s why we didn’t get him, but could it play a factor on why we don’t get a visit? Or does a kid keep that in the back of his head, these kids pay attention, how many times do you hear how a kid likes how school X has made him a priority? As I said Edwards has been all Kentucky the last 2+ weeks, I get wanting to hold out hope, but at some point you have to accept reality too.

With that said, I got it clarified and Barnes wasn’t in Georgia watching Edwards yesterday, it was an assistant who was also there to watch 2024 Ahmad Nowell who we are in the Top 2 for currently. Barnes was in LA at the adidas event watching Freddie Dilione.

Nah, not looking for a cookie. It was just pertinent to the conversation about those two specific players. I was insistent on pushing for JHS even at the risk of potentially losing Wallace thinking that a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush. In the end, we got neither, which was my fear at the time.

Not sure what happened to Bruin, though. I've wondered the same thing.
I thought we lost the chance with JHS because we wouldn't promise him a starting spot like IU did?

It’s never gonna be explicit enough to say well because we didn’t watch so and so on 7/20/22 that’s why we didn’t get him, but could it play a factor on why we don’t get a visit? Or does a kid keep that in the back of his head, these kids pay attention, how many times do you hear how a kid likes how school X has made him a priority? As I said Edwards has been all Kentucky the last 2+ weeks, I get wanting to hold out hope, but at some point you have to accept reality too.

With that said, I got it clarified and Barnes wasn’t in Georgia watching Edwards yesterday, it was an assistant who was also there to watch 2024 Ahmad Nowell who we are in the Top 2 for currently. Barnes was in LA at the adidas event watching Freddie Dilione.
Excellent. There’s the thoughtful planning I was referring to. I trust they have a plan. Luckily no one was in Georgia. The Peach Jam is being played in SC. :)

The ironic thing about this is the question is about watching someone we probably lose instead of watching someone else and making them a priority. We made Edwards a priority for a long time while UK didn't seem to care.

The ironic thing about this is the question is about watching someone we probably lose instead of watching someone else and making them a priority. We made Edwards a priority for a long time while UK didn't seem to care.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the kind of green UK is going to pay him will be sufficient salve for his bruised ego.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the kind of green UK is going to pay him will be sufficient salve for his bruised ego.
Their NIL offer isn’t much different than ours, it’s the Alabama/Georgia model in football, when you are those schools you are often times the “dream school” and have always saw them as the highest level/achievement and don’t mind that they were late to the party.

If you’re at a party and Drew Barrymore is hitting on you for 3 hours and Megan Fox walks in and says she wants you to take her home, who you going with?

Excellent. There’s the thoughtful planning I was referring to. I trust they have a plan. Luckily no one was in Georgia. The Peach Jam is being played in SC. :)
Well in all fairness you also suggested the staff wasn’t giving up which it would appear they are if they aren’t going to have Barnes at his games…with the said there’s still a few days left so Barnes may pop up at Peach Jam 🤷🏻‍♂️

VN Store

Back