‘23 PA SF Justin Edwards

this isnt meant to bash Barnes but simply state fact....until Tennessee has a reputation of deep and consistent runs in March Madness they will lose to underachieving, has-beens like Kentucky. This kid remembers when Ky did make those type runs.

this isnt meant to bash Barnes but simply state fact....until Tennessee has a reputation of deep and consistent runs in March Madness they will lose to underachieving, has-beens like Kentucky. This kid remembers when Ky did make those type runs.
Kentucky made an Elite 8 like 3 years ago. Definitely not a "has been" haha

Kids see all the players they put in the league. That's the #1 draw to Kentucky

I don't even get the point of this lol. Hasn't Barnes signed 5 five stars between the last 3 recruiting cycles? Haha. Also, people act like Cal has all of sudden lost his elite recruiting abilities lol. Cal sends dudes to the league on a consistent basis. Barnes has obviously recruited well enough to win the SEC so I'll take his lineups over anyone's OPINIONS any day. Especially on this site lol. Go Vawls!!!!

I don't even get the point of this lol. Hasn't Barnes signed 5 five stars between the last 3 recruiting cycles? Haha. Also, people act like Cal has all of sudden lost his elite recruiting abilities lol. Cal sends dudes to the league on a consistent basis. Barnes has obviously recruited well enough to win the SEC so I'll take his lineups over anyone's OPINIONS any day. Especially on this site lol. Go Vawls!!!!

Few of these 5 stars came down to a real recruiting battle between Tn/Ky. Ky went different directions on KJ & KC. NC did on Springer. All are great players but Tn wasn’t battling Ky late on these guys. Phillips recruitment is a complete different story due to the LSU situation. I did say I wasn’t bashing Barnes. I guess you missed that. I will say if Tennessee intends to swim in deep waters they gotta get to past the sweet 16, which they’ve never done since Pearl. Kids are interested in FF

Reactions: orangemadam
My whole thing is and you just admitted yourself the last 5 fives stars we signed didn't really come down to Tennessee and Kentucky. Barnes can't grab just any recruit he wants. Losing out on a player every other year to to Cal is nothing to worry about lol. I never insinuated that you were bashing Barnes. Kids do like a FF but yet these 5s and 4s like to play for Ole Rick. Must be the kool-aid

So you’d rather the coaches stop recruiting him to try to change his mind?
It depends on what the current coaches have been told by Edwards and his family, neither you or I know for certain. What I do know is that we’ve spent a lot of time continuing to recruit guys that nearly everyone said was going elsewhere and in the end that caused us to miss out on some Plan B’s.

If our coaches are still going to see him, I’m not conceding. They must have some reason. They wouldn’t go if they knew he already had his mind made up. Vol till he ain’t.
According to Edwards, he's already made up his mind. Seems like our staff is grasping at straws unless Edwards has everyone in the media fooled into believing its UK when it's actually Tennessee, which I strongly doubt.

Reactions: berryvol
Yeah, I know our staff has put a lot of time into this one so it’s probably hard to let go, but at this point it just seems like a waste of time. Take that staff time at Edwards game and watch someone else. He clearly does not care about the fact that Barnes is always there and Kentucky just shows up on occasion.

It’s a good idea to stay with the pursuit until the end. You never know what the future could hold. A projected one-and-done could have a disappointing freshman season and wind up in the one time transfer portal. Also treating a recruit with respect wins points with others. They talk to each other.

Reactions: cardvolfan
It depends on what the current coaches have been told by Edwards and his family, neither you or I know for certain. What I do know is that we’ve spent a lot of time continuing to recruit guys that nearly everyone said was going elsewhere and in the end that caused us to miss out on some Plan B’s.

One of the few times I've agreed with BTO! :D:D

According to Edwards, he's already made up his mind. Seems like our staff is grasping at straws unless Edwards has everyone in the media fooled into believing its UK when it's actually Tennessee, which I strongly doubt.

I realize I stirred the pot on this one. The counter to my original statement is that the coaches were watching the final game at one of the most important high school events of the year. I think there is a case to be made that you show up no matter what. EYBL and Nike are important constituents in our orbit, and Augusta SC is a short hop. As for when to quit recruiting, I’ll leave that to them. BTO is right that we’ve waited at the alter a couple of times, and gotten burned. We also navigated a really precarious week when the world decided Phillips was gone, and they rescued it. The more I hear about that instance, the more I realize how close we came to not signing him. There are good reasons to show up either way. He was the best player at the event. If he signs with KY, it’s because 10 year old him liked the brand. His family, advisors and 18 year old him were pretty sold on us two weeks ago. We’ll probably just lose this one on glitz.

I realize I stirred the pot on this one. The counter to my original statement is that the coaches were watching the final game at one of the most important high school events of the year. I think there is a case to be made that you show up no matter what. EYBL and Nike are important constituents in our orbit, and Augusta SC is a short hop. As for when to quit recruiting, I’ll leave that to them. BTO is right that we’ve waited at the alter a couple of times, and gotten burned. We also navigated a really precarious week when the world decided Phillips was gone, and they rescued it. The more I hear about that instance, the more I realize how close we came to not signing him. There are good reasons to show up either way. He was the best player at the event. If he signs with KY, it’s because 10 year old him liked the brand. His family, advisors and 18 year old him were pretty sold on us two weeks ago. We’ll probably just lose this one on glitz.
In this day and age, I think showing up until the end is the right thing to do. Obviously, Barnes and company have reason to believe being there is better than not being there. In this current recruiting climate, things can (and do) change at a moment’s notice. Maybe something has happened or been said in the last few days that has given Barnes hope.

Specifically, by name, who were the Plan B’s? Which 5 Stars caused us to lose each one because we kept recruiting the 5 star?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back