36 Hours From Hell

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
  • Tuesday midday -- 104.5 FM in Nashville reports Devaun Swafford's football career is ended due to medical condition (rumor says head/neck injury from TaxSlayer Bowl now assessed too dangerous to continue playing); will stay on as player-coach
  • Tuesday afternoon -- Jimmy Hyams reports Jocquez Bruce suspended for "not applying self off the field" (skipping class is common assumption)
  • early Wednesday morning -- WBIR.com reports Charles Mosley arrested for reckless driving & DUI (marijuana)
  • Wednesday evening -- VN's Bob Mueller reports Justin Martin got in heated exchange with Coach Jones during team meeting, might be gone from program (given release papers, but situation not yet 100% irreversible)
Set Devaun Swafford's injury aside -- it is hugely unfortunate but not at all a part of the rest of this post.

Which is about this question: is Coach Jones facing a mini-mutiny from the younger members of the program?

Butch notably mentioned in a recent press interview that 64% of the team's players have been in the program a year or less. Bruce, Mosley and Martin all fit that demographic. Behaviors are difficult to change. Even more difficult and deeper in our personalities are our beliefs and attitudes. Deepest of all are our core values. Are we seeing an eruption from a clash in values?

Joining a program with a culture of discipline and commitment to something bigger than yourself, as Butch demands, can be a very big culture shock. It can take months or years for a person, a football player, to fully internalize the values of the new culture they've joined. It would not be surprising if some newer players railed against all the restrictions and demands. To the contrary, it would be surprising if none ever did protest or act out.

Is that what we're seeing in these 36 Hours from Hell? A culture clash between a coach who demands much of his charges, and a handful of newer players? It seems so. The big question, perhaps, is...are any of them related? Particularly the Bruce and Martin cases.

Individuals acting out is one thing. Players grouping up to complain and rally each other's resentments, that's a whole 'nother animal. I hope there's none of the latter going on.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. Just thinking out loud. Only thing for sure is, this has to go down as one of the less pleasent 36 hour periods in Butch's tenure thus far. Behind maybe only last year's Florida game.

My prayers are with the team, and my support 100% behind the coaches. Players need to man up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
We're getting D.U.I's, we're arguing with the coach, and our rocks paint is falling off!!!!

Reactions: 23 people
Posting Under the Influence should be illegal..... But I'm glad it's not.. Some of this stuff is just toooo good..

Reactions: 2 people
This happens everywhere. I don't even care to throw it out there that I work at another school in this conference. You know what the difference is between here (and most other SEC towns) and Knoxville? The media and cops do not protect the program.

There is so much that happens still that doesn't get to the fans. The coaches will deal with it and things will be fine. These are 18-22 year old college students. They're going to do stupid things.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe there's too much "chill brah" going on among the new members of the team right now. Maybe they need to chill less and sack up more.

Please keep posting.. You really seem to have the 'pulse' of the team..

Reactions: 2 people
This happens everywhere. I don't even care to throw it out there that I work at another school in this conference. You know what the difference is between here (and most other SEC towns) and Knoxville? The media and cops do not protect the program.

There is so much that happens still that doesn't get to the fans. The coaches will deal with it and things will be fine. These are 18-22 year old college students. They're going to do stupid things.

So you're saying the media and cops don't protect our program? I can agree with that, however, that's not the case at all schools. Some universities are greatly protected by the two. FSU is probably the most "protected" university at this point in time in my eyes.

So you're saying the media and cops don't protect our program? I can agree with that, however, that's not the case at all schools. Some universities are greatly protected by the two. FSU is probably the most "protected" university at this point in time in my eyes.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. FSU is definitely up there.

Reactions: 1 person
We're getting D.U.I's, we're arguing with the coach, and our rocks paint is falling off!!!!

BeuezhACUAAsrLg.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Swafford is the only truly unfortunate news but he still gets a scholarship and will work with the team. Joc and Martin have a chance to get it together and big Charles might too. Compared to some of our other offseasons we good. The extra zesty peanut butter they are pumping these guys on has everybody edgy though. Some body gonna get wrecked on BG squad.

• Tuesday midday -- 104.5 FM in Nashville reports Devaun Swafford's football career is ended due to medical condition (rumor says head/neck injury from TaxSlayer Bowl now assessed too dangerous to continue playing); will stay on as player-coach
  • Tuesday afternoon -- Jimmy Hyams reports Jocquez Bruce suspended for "not applying self off the field" (skipping class is common assumption)
  • early Wednesday morning -- WBIR.com reports Charles Mosley arrested for reckless driving & DUI (marijuana)
  • Wednesday evening -- VN's Bob Mueller reports Justin Martin got in heated exchange with Coach Jones during team meeting, might be gone from program (given release papers, but situation not yet 100% irreversible)
Set Devaun Swafford's injury aside -- it is hugely unfortunate but not at all a part of the rest of this post.

Which is about this question: is Coach Jones facing a mini-mutiny from the younger members of the program?

Butch notably mentioned in a recent press interview that 64% of the team's players have been in the program a year or less. Bruce, Mosley and Martin all fit that demographic. Behaviors are difficult to change. Even more difficult and deeper in our personalities are our beliefs and attitudes. Deepest of all are our core values. Are we seeing an eruption from a clash in values?

Joining a program with a culture of discipline and commitment to something bigger than yourself, as Butch demands, can be a very big culture shock. It can take months or years for a person, a football player, to fully internalize the values of the new culture they've joined. It would not be surprising if some newer players railed against all the restrictions and demands. To the contrary, it would be surprising if none ever did protest or act out.

Is that what we're seeing in these 36 Hours from Hell? A culture clash between a coach who demands much of his charges, and a handful of newer players? It seems so. The big question, perhaps, is...are any of them related? Particularly the Bruce and Martin cases.

Individuals acting out is one thing. Players grouping up to complain and rally each other's resentments, that's a whole 'nother animal. I hope there's none of the latter going on.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. Just thinking out loud. Only thing for sure is, this has to go down as one of the less pleasent 36 hour periods in Butch's tenure thus far. Behind maybe only last year's Florida game.

My prayers are with the team, and my support 100% behind the coaches. Players need to man up.

:eek:lol:

His longest bullet point is completely irrelevant to his central question.

It is as shoddy as most modern day journalism.

He says, aside from Swafford, are there issues with the younger players obeying the rules. I don't see any problems there. And I don't know JP, but I've never seen him claim to be a journalist.

One thing this team is lacking is veterans. There are a few guys who are standing up and are leaders. But they are far outnumbered by the new guys. Because of that youth, the chemistry will have to develop. The trust and respect will have to develop.

To me, the off-season is slow (not slow enough over the past few days). Posts like this get some interesting discussions going. Simple as that.

Reactions: 3 people

ugh_zpsijkasbtp.gif

VN Store

Back