Game superstition thread

Face

VolNation Con Man
I always look in my change during football season so see if got any '98 coins. While the vols have won many games during weeks I didn't get any '98 coins, they've never lost when I have.

Just got a '98 quarter tonight. Hopefully the streak stays alive.

Anyone else have any superstitions?

Reactions: 8 people
I always look in my change during football season so see if got any '98 coins. While the vols have won many games during weeks I didn't get any '98 coins, they've never lost when I have.

How many times have you had said 98 coins, and vs which opponents?

That's actually a cool one.

I have a superstition.

Since 2009, every big game I watch UT loses. O wait...

Reactions: 7 people
How many times have you had said 98 coins, and vs which opponents?

I think 13 times that I have noticed (usually use a debit card).

Only a few notable games. The '05 LSU upset and '04 UF were the two big ones. I actually got 2 '98 pennies in the same handful of change the Friday night before we beat the Gators (weird as ever loving $#!+)

That's awesome. Hope you keep it alive too!

Reactions: 1 person
Two hours before the game, every Saturday, I make a friend dress up in the opposing teams' apparel. Then, I sprint at him from about 50 feet away, yelling all the opposing teams' best players right before I tackle the ever loving sh!t out of him.

It doesn't seem to work, but I still do it.

Reactions: 13 people
Sports are the only thing I'm superstitious about. The shirt I'm wearing next Saturday is 3-0 against teams from Alabama. Wore it to Troy game last year, UT/Bama basketball game last year, and South Alabama this year. Worth a shot.

Reactions: 2 people
Two hours before the game, every Saturday, I make a friend dress up in the opposing teams' apparel. Then, I sprint at him from about 50 feet away, yelling all the opposing teams' best players right before I tackle the ever loving sh!t out of him.

It doesn't seem to work, but I still do it.

:lolabove: That's awesome!! Think we got a winner.

I pace back and forth in my living room. After a good play I give my brother a fist bump and then my wife a kiss.

Always in that order except the pacing it stays that way the entire game. (If we are in the game that is)..

I know in the back of my mind its pointless but I just can't help it. Drives the wife insane.

Reactions: 3 people
Whatever i wear on Gameday if we win i don't wash the outfit again till we lose, so as not to wash the good luck off. Lol

if i see or talk to my mother before or during a game we will lose,if i get on volnation during a game it goes south quick

Whatever i wear on Gameday if we win i don't wash the outfit again till we lose, so as not to wash the good luck off. Lol

A buddy of mine wore the exact same shirt on gameday in 98...after that year he had it framed. Still in his man cave....I'd ask him to break the glass but its way to small now

Ok, so this is a bit of a long story. One of my best friend's relatives bought him a VOLS blackout jersey (#14, ERIC BERRY, for the win) shortly after the game in 2009. He wore it on and off through 2011. When we came to UT in 2012, he started wearing it to games. We noticed about halfway through last season that we would lose every game he wore it to. We determined that he wouldn't be wearing it to any more games, obviously. However, without realizing, he wore it again to the Troy game. We were down a TD with just about three minutes left when I made the connection. He removed the jersey and threw it down on the seat next to him (he was wearing an undershirt, btw). Two plays later, Justin Hunter catches a pass over the middle and sprints into the endzone. The defense shows up and gets a three-and-out, and the offense drives for another TD to win.

We were certain that something had to be done, but since we were both usually not superstitious, we realized we'd have to do something crazy to "fix" it. We came up with an...interesting plan. One night during the week between the UK game and Butch's hiring, we went down on the pier on the river below Calhoun's and dipped it in the Tennessee River to "cleanse" it. Once we got down there, I played "The Battle" on my phone while my buddy dipped his jersey into the river 16 times (PEYTON'S NUMBER IS SACRED!!!). We then took it to the restrooms down the river a little bit and put the jersey under the automatic hand dryer while "Rocky Top" blared from my phone. We then headed back to the dorm. On the way back, he held the jersey out the window to air dry it as we drove along NEYLAND drive, PHILLIP FULMER avenue, PEYTON MANNING pass, VOLUNTEER boulevard, and PAT SUMMITT drive, songs of VOL tradition playing all the way. We then placed it in a plastic grocery bag and laundered the jersey, afterward declaring it "cleansed". Butch was hired a few days later and the rest is history. The only home game he hasn't worn it to this year was the Georgia game...just sayin. He even took it off during the second half against south bama...he put it back on for the last few minutes. He has assured me that he's wearing it this Saturday. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I have made a pledge to never watch another football game at my in-laws for any of my teams. One year I was watching Titans games there a lot because I lived there for about 6 months before my wife and I got married. That year the Titans start 0-6. I said screw this I'm going to listen to the games out in the car. The Titans finished the rest of year 8-2. The Titans still do not have a win when I'm at their house. The Vols have only slightly better record, and when we have won its always a nail biter to teams we should beat handily...so I avoid their house at all cost when its a big game.

Also if we I wear the exact same thing the next game until we lose then I change it up. As long as we have a winning streak I wear it.

P.S. I've gone through way too many clothes the past few years.

VN Store

Back