Let's look at the roster then:

Tobias Harris - 5* - 7th nationally
Scotty Hopson - 5*- 5th nationally
Renaldo Woolridge - 4* - 53 nationally
Trae Golden - 4* - 63 nationally
Jordan McRae - 4*- 47 nationally
Kenny Hall - 4* - 74 nationally
Cam Tatum - 4* - 104 nationally

Find me another U.T. roster with 2 top 10 players and 6 top 100 players total.

Reactions: 1 person
Missed 3 straight NCAAT, no thanks.

He's not bad, but I just think there's a lot better options.jmo

Southern Miss had a 33 RPI was 27-6 and 1-1 against the top 50. Their strength of schedule was bad but it's hard to get big name schools to come play at your place. Just saying at a place like that, it's not so cut and dry about making or not making the NCAA Tourney.

Southern Miss had a 33 RPI was 27-6 and 1-1 against the top 50. Their strength of schedule was bad but it's hard to get big name schools to come play at your place. Just saying at a place like that, it's not so cut and dry about making or not making the NCAA Tourney.

You can play teams if you're willing to travel, there's plenty of examples out there. If you know you haven't scheduled hard enough, then you better win your crappy conference tournament, something he's not been able to do.

Probably pretty realistic candidate

I like him and if Zo left after this year it would be hard to sell a coach that has not been in the NCAA tourney the last couple of years. You could sell him on just making the tourney and working under Thad Matta, Herb Sendek and his brother at Arizona. He's also supposed to be a good recruiter also.

Danny Manning will have a big time job soon. He'll be the hot name after the tourney. What about the guys at New Mexico/State? Seem like they have made the dance last 4 or 5 yrs.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Howland is not the answer

How do you know? If he's not, then there is no surefire answer and we should just keep Martin, unless you want to roll the dice on another up-and-comer. We wouldn't get a bigger name.

“@wesrucker247: For the record, #Vols RPI right now is exactly what it was three years ago, when Cuonzo inherited the program.”

Building off my last post...

Hart has a decision to make, assuming Tennessee loses to Iowa of even to UMASS. Martin has done much better than many other coaches at Tennessee have done, however he hasn't done better than the coach he followed did, and that's the issue many understandably have.

They saw Tennessee struggle for years, be a NIT team, once in awhile NCAAT team, and once a decade make a run in the NCAAT team. Pearl came along and it was consistent tourneys, runs every other year, and quite honestly a top 20 program annually.

Does Hart say, you know what, let's do whatever we can in our power to get us back to that top 20 annual program? Or does he say, NCAAT 2/4 years is good with me, a run 1/5 would suffice my expectations?

Point being...if you're not gonna go out and hire a big name guy, someone proven, someone that is as close to a sure thing as there is, then why make a move? I wouldn't make a move to just make a move, I wouldn't fire a 20 win a year guy coming off a NCAAT appearance for a coach with a similar resume.

Jmo

Building off my last post...

Hart has a decision to make, assuming Tennessee loses to Iowa of even to UMASS. Martin has done much better than many other coaches at Tennessee have done, however he hasn't done better than the coach he followed did, and that's the issue many understandably have.

They saw Tennessee struggle for years, be a NIT team, once in awhile NCAAT team, and once a decade make a run in the NCAAT team. Pearl came along and it was consistent tourneys, runs every other year, and quite honestly a top 20 program annually.

Does Hart say, you know what, let's do whatever we can in our power to get us back to that top 20 annual program? Or does he say, NCAAT 2/4 years is good with me, a run 1/5 would suffice my expectations?

Point being...if you're not gonna go out and hire a big name guy, someone proven, someone that is as close to a sure thing as there is, then why make a move? I wouldn't make a move to just make a move, I wouldn't fire a 20 win a year guy coming off a NCAAT appearance for a coach with a similar resume.

Jmo

Good post BTO. It's going to be interesting.

What if Hart offers him an extension on the condition he revamps his staff with an ace recruiter and/or a seasoned offensive mind?

Hart is really at a crossroads here because if you keep him, you have to extend him. And IMO you can't fire him next year if you keep him when you know good and well next year is a rebuilding year and likely not a tourney team. So IMO, the choice may be fire him or give him a raise and a 2 year extension.

Good post BTO. It's going to be interesting.

What if Hart offers him an extension on the condition he revamps his staff with an ace recruiter and/or a seasoned offensive mind?

Hart is really at a crossroads here because if you keep him, you have to extend him. And IMO you can't fire him next year if you keep him when you know good and well next year is a rebuilding year and likely not a tourney team. So IMO, the choice may be fire him or give him a raise and a 2 year extension.

It would seem there's an opening on his staff right? Fancher and Pancratz left, all he did was promote a guy who was already on his staff, to the best of my knowledge nobody else was hired.

I have had an issue with the assistants for awhile, and have said as much. That definitely an option that Hart has, I'm not sure what Zo's response would be. What if he says no? Fire him and see what you can bring in?

Has anyone even considered hiring Bruce Pearl? I think he can coach again next year....

Too Much has got to happen for Pearl to be a coach here.

I do think a Majority (meaning over 50%) of the Fan Base would love for him to Return.

Some of things that need to happen, I am not willing to wish upon any team and especially the Vols.

Nor do I want to suffer and watch our Basketball program die a horrible death. It's tough to see anybody go through what we may be going through at this time next year or even sooner. Can't blame the players.

Then somebody is going to have to swallow their pride and eat crow. (Cheek for one) That is probably not going to happen either.

Plus it only takes 1 or 2 Board members to stir up enough crap to keep him out.

Plus, Pearl may take a job elsewhere before we act so he may not be available.

In other words a lot of things that got to happen, probably will not.

Next Candidate.

It would seem there's an opening on his staff right? Fancher and Pancratz left, all he did was promote a guy who was already on his staff, to the best of my knowledge nobody else was hired.

I have had an issue with the assistants for awhile, and have said as much. That definitely an option that Hart has, I'm not sure what Zo's response would be. What if he says no? Fire him and see what you can bring in?

I know I've been extremely critical of CCM as of late but the truth is that I don't think he's nearly as bad as some do. I think he's a guy who was in over his head when he got here and didn't deserve the job.
However, I've argued that he's the second best coach in the past 25 years and I believe that. He's better than green, buzz and Wade for sure. I just believe that Pearl showed what this job has the potential to be.

If Zo is retained, I really hope that there is an assistant shake up. I don't see Martin going along with that so easily though. If your Hart and you go to Martin with that proposal you better be prepared with a response when he tells you no cause that's what I think Zo's response will be.

Edit: All that said, I think assistant changes possibly could help quite a bit. Not saying it's what if prefer but it's an option.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back