Petition to rehire Bruce Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine UT rehiring Bruce Pearl this year.

UT Athletics' head coaches for the highest revenue programs would be:

Butch Jones - Football
Bruce Pearl - Basketball
Holly Warlick - Women's Basketball
Dave Serrano - Baseball
Ralph and Karen Weekly - Softball

That's a heck of a coaching team for UT Athletics. With the excitement surrounding Bruce Pearl's return and the return to winning Football, season ticket sales for both sports would improve dramatically. Could you imagine the attendance for the first game that Pearl coaches back in TBA?

Dave Hart has focused on building the Athletic Departments reserves and wants it done quickly. The fans want a basketball team that wins and is fun to watch. Rehiring Bruce Pearl accomplishes both.

I thought that I would never see UT switch to Nike and it happened. Dave Hart got it done. UT fans may be in for another surprise!

For the love of all that is holy, Dave Hart: REHIRE BRUCE PEARL!!

65968_00.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
You tell me.

Multiple Knoxville media outlets are saying it's not gonna happen, and that they've been told by high level donors they would never bring him back.

I admit, I personally don't know any of them, but wouldn't it sell their station more to speak the complete opposite if they were making up lies?

I see the Clay Travis article, and some national ones, but they're just giving an opinion on what Tennessee should do. Have you heard anyone around Knoxville saying they're hearing it's likely???

I listen to those guys all the time off and on all the time and none of them have ever that its not happening.....they say they dont think it will happen which I agree with but some of them have started saying that the possibility is higher now than they thought it would be.

Unless the local media has sources who are close to the big money boosters (and they most likely do not), they have no idea what's going behind the scenes or if Pearl's return is a possibility.

They have about as much information as we do. They may have sources in the AD, but unless those sources are Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek themselves, they're worthless when it comes to things like this.

Plus, it's a much better gamble for reporters to either ignore something like this or outright deny it, because to even hint that it's a possibility would cause a ****storm. Stephen Hargis' Gruden story is a good cautionary tale for Tennessee sportswriters.

There is no job opening at Tennessee at the present time. If CCM wins these last four games there will not be an opening he will continue to be Coach. If he fails I think we'll have another coach. No one is gonna talk very much about who it will be until CCM fails and at this time he still has a chance to save his job. It is all about finishing strong and getting an NCAA bid it could happen the opponents are not that strong we could win these games. We could also pull a Texas A&M so we have to let it all play out.

There is a difference in the Gruden and Martin situation. Dools was fired we were in a coaching search and at this moment there is no vacancy to hire Pearl.

Local media and boosters will not get on the hire Bruce Pearl wagon until Martin is let go. Plus three interviews must occur so there is another obstacle.

Depends on how you ask the question to the booster. But any support given to Pearl while Martin is still in the coaching Box cannot be done by the boosters or the media.

Seriously the have an obligation at this moment to support the current coach and team. Anything done in support of Pearl would be done privately.

So you are not going to hear Media or boosters saying much at the moment. If they are, then it is being done individually and privately.

Like what?

I handled plenty of employees before and set boundaries on them with great ease. Hart knows how to get it done and he doesn't have to take any risks by doing so.

I truly think if Pearl was hired he would not be a problem...

Money talks and people walk...

Warning - Terrible commercial idea alert:

You're watching the opening night of college football in August. The game cuts to a Farm Bureau commercial.

A hand reaches down to pick up a brick from a big stack of them. It's Butch Jones, except instead of building a mailbox, he's moved on to building a fence around a yard shaped like Tennessee.

"Brick by brick, that's how we do it here at Tennessee."

The camera zooms in on Butch's hand mortaring and placing the brick on the fence. Suddenly, another hand appears and hands Butch his next brick.

It's Bruce Pearl.

"Hey Butch, love the motto, but from now on the bricks stay on the football field, okay?"

BOOM.

Reactions: 12 people
Love it! The TBA T-shirt checkerboard pic alone should convince Hart. He & Cheek have to realize that level of excitement, attendance, and $$$$ isn't ever going to happen with Martin.

I handled plenty of employees before and set boundaries on them with great ease. Hart knows how to get it done and he doesn't have to take any risks by doing so.

It's easy to set the boundaries, much harder to hold them accountable and make sure they are doing the right thing.

One better be of Dave Hart so you can make him look at this petition. GoVolsXtra man haven't been there in ages.

Witch Doctor been..
WORKING! AHHHHH!!! lol. been doing a project..stuff I love, that eats up most of my "Witch Doctoring" creativity. This was just like most to voice to right a WRONG. and Bring back Bruce! He may be a screw up but dang it hes our screw up! haha
Bones never lie.

Last edited:

Pearl had boundaries before, they were set by the NCAA, who's to say he decides this time to follow them and be honest?

It's easy to set the boundaries, much harder to hold them accountable and make sure they are doing the right thing.

Not hard at all when you have immediate control of purse strings, job security and their balls. Hart is in a great position, Pearl is not but face it he loves the Vols and if he wants to be here he will not screw this up.

We are a few months a way from all this anyway....Martin is still the coach so most of this is moot.

If he is let go then everything changes.....the petition becomes a factor, the BOT becomes a factor and the Media will tag along....tunes will change...

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's going to happen or even likely, but I'm getting the point that if Martin is fired, which I fully believe he should be, you almost have to hire Pearl.

Really it doesn't matter how it looks to other schools, if the NCAA comes camping (which I believe is overblown), none of that. What the program needs is fan support, and with Pearl you get that 100% guaranteed. So much that it won't matter if we suck next year. It won't matter if we suck 2-3 more seasons, Pearl is that popular. Sure if he doesn't win it will wear out, but if it comes to that I honestly don't think fans will care by then, because the admin gave it a shot.

Either he comes back and starts winning again and all is well, or he comes back and sucks and in 4-5 years he's sent packing, but at least this time it will be over performance and not some NCAA issue.

And even though I generally hate speculation and all, you have to admit if we fire Martin and replace him with someone unproven, and some other team does hire Pearl and he starts winning, well this fanbase likely won't get over that for a LONG time.

I'm pretty much firmly in the "Bring Back Bruce" camp now. I honestly believe any way you slice it, the potential positives far outweigh the potential negatives. I respect why someone would be against it, but really I don't think the program can take a gamble with someone else. Granted, if we did get a home run, big name hire, that obviously changes things, but I don't see one coming here.

Very well said, and I agree 100%.

Pearl had boundaries before, they were set by the NCAA, who's to say he decides this time to follow them and be honest?

I am not going to argue with you because we can go at this for hours in a vicious cycle. 360 degrees. You are beat up quite a bit on this board and I don't know if you have a chip on your shoulder or not.

I know anything I say will be counterpointed and not discussed. So what's the point of arguing with a brick wall.

Hart is not Hamilton. Hart is the current AD. A lot have portrayed him as weak and not knowing trust me he knows how to handle this situation and will if the cards fall into place for him to do so.

Let's wait and see if Matin is let go and then see what happens.

Not worried about Pearl and 2nd or 3rd chances. He will get it right.

Go look at the two videos that have surfaced today regarding the Pearl situation and then tell me you don't want this for Volunteer Basketball.

It is not an action of non support to sign the petition to rehire Pearl. It only becomes relevant if Martin is let go.

Signing the petition only means that we the signees support Vol Basketball and want what's best for this team and University.....in our 40000 + opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
This BBB is gaining steam...let's keep it up! Once the season is over & if Martin is fired, we should have a rally! (I don't want to wish for someone to lose their job but he won't go hungry or anything! He'll make more for being fired than most of us will make in our lifetime) I think if enough orange-blooded fans ban together, it'll get done!

Reactions: 1 person
Cart before horse....But IF this Cuonzo spiral continues AND the UT THINK TANK squeezes and exterminates the bug up their butt..THEN the potential of having Bruce AND Butch promoting Tennessee?...Well...just the energy and creativity of these two men...working together....bouncing ideas off each other....all that benefits recruiting,attendance,cooperative spirit between basketball and football et al....we witnessed, after Butch's hire, the football players supporting their brothers on the hardwood visibly. There was probable repricocity on a limited/non visible basis at our football games, but Cuonzo has never been accused of having an interactive presence...or a pulse...if Bruce ends up as a pipe dream, I hope Hart has a like criteria for the new hire...It's needed. :dance:

Reactions: 2 people

Have you ever re-hired someone you fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back