2013 TN PG Darius Thompson

Relevant bump. Similar to Kyle Wiljter, I don't think Darius is done growing into his body, or his body type. He's still rather slender and could add some muscle to his frame. If he can add 15-20 pounds by season end, he could be a lot to handle (ha! point guard joke).

Do you guys think he'll get burnt defending quicker point guards?

From what I saw of him in the HS tournament he will struggle with quickness.

From what I saw of him in the HS tournament he will struggle with quickness.

I know Martin isn't a fan of zone, but against quiver guards with Thompson out there they should play some zone. Alot of length and athleticism out there with Thompson, McRae, Richardson, Moore and Stokes.

If you look at that Syracuse team last year their front court had length also and Boehm used the zone to near perfection.

I haven't seen tape of Thompson, but I don't think you have to be overly quick. Just decent speed with good technique. Golden was just ultra slow and got exposed. You won't play guys like Joe Jackson on a regular basis.

I haven't seen tape of Thompson, but I don't think you have to be overly quick. Just decent speed with good technique. Golden was just ultra slow and got exposed. You won't play guys like Joe Jackson on a regular basis.

The key to defending guys like Jackson is to simply keep them in front of you, even if that means playing two feet off of him. Jackson isn't going to beat you shooting from outside. This is especially true for a guy with as much size and length as Thompson. Even a good shooter would be forced to shoot over him, which is a difficult task considering the size differential.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll say it again. Based on his highlight reels (which is all I've got to go on), I see Kendall Marshall, who also didn't look particularly quick. In fact, if you compare Marshall's high school highlight reels to Thompson's you'll see astonishing similarities, except that Thompson jumps better and has a better outside stroke. (I'm not talking Chris Lofton here, just a solid stroke.) Considering Marshall's the best passer I've seen in college in about 10 years, I'm pretty excited to see what Thompson does.

I'll say it again. Based on his highlight reels (which is all I've got to go on), I see Kendall Marshall, who also didn't look particularly quick. In fact, if you compare Marshall's high school highlight reels to Thompson's you'll see astonishing similarities, except that Thompson jumps better and has a better outside stroke. (I'm not talking Chris Lofton here, just a solid stroke.) Considering Marshall's the best passer I've seen in college in about 10 years, I'm pretty excited to see what Thompson does.
Yeah, their passing game is pretty similar and Marshall runs the floor better (and faster) than Thompson. Overall, Marshall looks quicker and Thompson seems to have the better outside shot.

I'm comparing them to this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadpJuKCX6Q[/youtube]

and

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQQEfvFIZM[/youtube]

Golden is 3 years older but right now he's quicker than Thompson. In 3 years Thompson can become a lot quicker than he is now.

Hopefully we can continue to keep this average of like only 6 turnovers a game or less with him at the helm.

The crazy thing is of our 119 turnovers so far. Barton and Thompson only have 18 combined of those. That's crazy efficient.

22 for McRae, 24 for Stokes, and 18 for Maymon. Crazy to think about.

And none of the 3 are likely to be here next year, interesting. Martin's first 2 years we didn't take care of the ball like he preached about, but this year we are. You take care of the ball and you'll be in a good position to win a lot of games.

And none of the 3 are likely to be here next year, interesting. Martin's first 2 years we didn't take care of the ball like he preached about, but this year we are. You take care of the ball and you'll be in a good position to win a lot of games.

Where's Stokes going?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back