Neyland Stadium becoming more annoying (my thoughts)

I was actually 200 miles away from the game, and my comment was about this trend at sporting events in general. It is more pronounced in indoor stadiums.

I hope you and the people you were with had a great time at the game. It was an incredible win. I wish I could have been there (distractions an all).

:eek:lol: OK. Go Vols.

I've been to three games this year and it is ALWAYS great to be in Neyland! The band is a huge part of the pageantry of college football. The addition of the great films on the jumbo-tron and the piped in music add to the fun. Moderation in all things ... gotta keep the balance there.

That said..... with Coach Jones trying to speed up the tempo of the game, I noticed a few times the band was still celebrating a first down when the Vols were ready to snap the ball. I don't think it effected the play, but it's a new system and you don't have 30 seconds to play while the team huddles up. Could cause a problem in the future.

That's one thing I don't like. If the play clock is moving, both bands need to be silent.

If you don't like hip hop and rap then you are in for some hard times in knoxville...butch knows what gets his team fired up and what these high school kids like and right now its working for him...so dig deep take it on the chin and enjoy the ride to the top GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Last I checked official paid attendance was 95 K with $10 tickets being sold by the bucketful. That after two weeks of hype from the near sell out UGA game with its exciting ending. You can ignore it if you want. Your choice.

I was there in section Z14. I couldn't see the upper East deck, but I assumed it was about 1/2 full. Other than that there weren't pockets of empty seats all around the stadium. It was pretty much pack all around me.

I've been to a ton of UT games but this was my 1st home game since '07 and I was suprised they announced the crowd at 95K. I think that's an accurate number but under the Dickey and Hamilton regimes that crowd would have been announced in the 103-104K range.

Pre-recorded music didn't hype our team to win. They hyped themselves to win. Based on your logic, the pre-recorded music should have hyped South Carolina to finish out the game. It didn't. Therefore it is useless and annoying.

You couldn't be more wrong. I could see the entire Tennessee sideline from my seats in DD. Their body language told me differently than what you may have witnessed. Maybe you were too busy texting, tweeeting, or facebooking on your I-phone to notice.

The question is how does it effect the team? I come to see the VOLS play and want them to win. If it helps great, if it doesn't stop. Simple really.

I was there in section Z14. I couldn't see the upper East deck, but I assumed it was about 1/2 full. Other than that there weren't pockets of empty seats all around the stadium. It was pretty much pack all around me.

I've been to a ton of UT games but this was my 1st home game since '07 and I was suprised they announced the crowd at 95K. I think that's an accurate number but under the Dickey and Hamilton regimes that crowd would have been announced in the 103-104K range.

Those 95,000 were a LOT louder than many of the 103-104K crowds I have sat with in recent years. BTW, the east upper-deck was pretty full.

Those 95,000 were a LOT louder than many of the 103-104K crowds I have sat with in recent years. BTW, the east upper-deck was pretty full.

That was one of the best dispersed 95k crowds I've ever seen. For there to have been so many empties, there weren't any large empty pockets.

Reactions: 2 people
I was at the game Saturday and I had the most fun ive had in Neyland in years even before the win.

The band played plenty, sorry you didnt get enough living on a prayer or star wars, but i liked the music. So did the players, apparently.

ppl always find something to b**** about... Don't come if you arent having fun. Sit at home with your bon jovi live orchestra soundtrack and cell phone coverage and have a great day.

That was one of the best dispersed 95k crowds I've ever seen. For there to have been so many empties, there weren't any large empty pockets.

except in the student section for most of the 1st qtr. poor showing, even for a fall break week. It filled in as the game went on.

the biggest empty spots I could find ironically were where the $10 seats were being sold.

You couldn't be more wrong. I could see the entire Tennessee sideline from my seats in DD. Their body language told me differently than what you may have witnessed. Maybe you were too busy texting, tweeeting, or facebooking on your I-phone to notice.

So generic pre-recorded music pumped up the Vols but not South Carolina? Wouldn't generic music pump up both sides? I'm not buying it. So, the team won't play good/hard football if we aren't cranking in blaring garbage the whole time? Do we want this? What if the sound system goes out? Will they quit and lose?

I am a single dad. I have a two year old child. At half-time I like to call and check on my son from time to time.

I don't play on my phone, or facebook or do anything else. It would be nice if cell phones worked in Neyland in case of a family emergency.

The question is how does it effect the team? I come to see the VOLS play and want them to win. If it helps great, if it doesn't stop. Simple really.

I agree. Although, the whole "Get Loud" thing on the jumbotron really does seem to work as far as prodding the crowd into making noise.

Which is what I have done. The problem is that should not have happened. But the UTAD chose that route and I chose mine.

Good luck selling those $10 tickets. That's something that's here to stay once you make the experience too uncomfortable for older fans who have the money to make the donations and buy the season tickets. They won't be back. The further you move away from POTS and increase the noise with pretend music the worse it is going to get. There doesn't need to be music playing every spare minute. Let the game and crowd noise also have room. That is the reason you are there, or at least it should be.

I disagree. Went to my 1st game in 1957. I'm a Tennessee Alum and I believe my wife I fall into your category of "older fan". We've been making our donation, buying season tickets and making the 5 hour drive to Neyland for many, many years. Seen a lot of changes in the game day experience. None of which has, or will, keep us away. We go to support the Team and watch Tennessee Football.

I personally enjoyed seeing the resurgence of fan and player enthusiasm at the Georgia and SC games. My experience tells me that winning cures all, but if the new format helps generate enthusiasm and support from the next generations of Vols, then I'm OK with it.

So generic pre-recorded music pumped up the Vols but not South Carolina? Wouldn't generic music pump up both sides? I'm not buying it. So, the team won't play good/hard football if we aren't cranking in blaring garbage the whole time? Do we want this? What is the sound system goes out? Will they quit and lose?

You obviously weren't paying attention to the players. As I've stated like seven times in this thread, the players would start jumping up and down, bobbing their heads and dancing each time the canned music came on. They would just sit there when the band was just playing normal stuff.

I don't care how lame it makes me. I like having phone coverage so I can get a text out if I want to or check stats etc.

also, granted what I did as a minor league PA announcer was eons smaller, I can attest to how pumping in music and other canned noise pumps a crowd up. The local sports guy used to call me the puppet master because I could make the crowd do whatever I wanted just by playing the right music and/or sounds.

I don't care how lame it makes me. I like having phone coverage so I can get a text out if I want to or check stats etc.

^^ Ditto. I am also a stat-checker and a score-checker of other games. I think our society has proven that the capabilities of smart phones are anything but lame.

tumblr_inline_mmr51xUGTR1qz4rgp.gif

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. My son and his friend were sitting in a different section than us and I had a difficult time texting him throughout the game.

Thankfully, there was a group beside us that left during the 3rd quarter. I went and got my son to move down to our seats.

Before the bad parent comments start, my son and his friend are in HS. It's not like I sent 2 kindergartners to the upper deck.

You obviously weren't paying attention to the players. As I've stated like seven times in this thread, the players would start jumping up and down, bobbing their heads and dancing each time the canned music came on. They would just sit there when the band was just playing normal stuff.

So, you are making the case that UT won based purely off of blaring "throw your hands in the air if you ain't never scared"?

I would hope any football team would want to win because they are playing football. Even if zero people, bands, or music were present.

VN Store

Back