Crootin Forum: Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
No..You got hammered for being a loathesome deborah downer. Your example was silly and you usually see the worst in good things.

Wherever you say mr go as fast as you can all the time. The coach of the Volunteers has a big not so fast my friend for you!!

the ducks (2-0) head into saturday's game with tennessee (2-0) averaging 62.5 points a game after ranking second nationally with 49.5 points per game last season. The average length of oregon's 17 touchdowns has been 22.9 yards.

-espn

Few pretty run of the mill observations from the offense against WKU:

- Tiny is really good. All the o-lineman had really good moments, but I think he's our most consistently dominant blocker for sure. Need to let him lead the way. I thought the o-line played pretty poorly in the second quarter, but they bounced back (the whole team did) in the second half.

- Neal is really slippery. I know a lot of people are frustrated about him bouncing too many runs outside. I think that's somewhat true, but I also think he actually has an ability to turn some of those into huge gains for us. He is doing a much better job of taking what the defense is giving him. He's seeing the field a lot better than he was last year. He's so strong and fast. Lane compliments him perfectly and gives the offense some nastiness. Individually, we don't have an elite running back on the roster. But those two guys combined could be really special.

- I think Worley could be really good. He obviously didn't show much of that on Saturday and I don't know if he'll ever get there. But he had one throw in the third quarter that I keep thinking about to Josh Smith that was just perfect. It was a simple slant route on 3rd down to keep the chains moving. Really clutch moment in the game. That's really hard to defend when the ball is thrown that well. He doesn't have to be Johnny Football, but if he can make more throws like that we might have something.

- Receivers were pretty disappointing, but that was to be expected I guess. I like Johnathon Johnson and Josh Smith, and obviously Marquez a lot. Croom was disappointing on that one play, but I bet he'll bounce back. He had some pretty good blocks though. Pig is explosive as hell and probably needs 10-15 touches a game at least.

- Brendan Downs seemed solid at tight end. Looked like he's not scared to put his nose in there and block, but besides that, I couldn't really tell.

- I don't know what we're going to do at Oregon. I think our team is going to have the mentality that we can go in there and win, which is good. It will be really interesting to see how we hold up when bad things start to happen, because they inevitably will. We responded really well to adversity against WKU, but we still had a 2 touchdown lead and the luxury of halftime at the perfect moment. That being said, I think we keep it close for much longer than most people expect, and maybe even have a chance to win it in the end. Butch Jones seems like a good coach, and good coaches tend to figure out ways to hang around in games that they're not supposed to. It's not unheard of. This team doesn't seem like it's going to shoot themselves in the foot. If that's really going to be a lingering characteristic of Team 117, then we'll need to see it again this week.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly why I want to lose the time of possession game

I just think this will be hard to do. Oregon's longest drive of the year has been a 10 play 75 yd drive that took a whopping 3:08. Whether they drive for a score or punt, it is very quick.

One of the factors in this, imo, is that they get a lot of first downs, which momentarily stops the clock. They average like 9 yards per play, which is moving the sticks alot, thus stopping the clock a lot.

I think the key for us is to get some quick 3 and outs and make them pay with long methodical drives. Getting a few stops early and clean special teams play...we may can hang with them, jmo.

SIAP I'm 10 pages behind and haven't caught up yet but are we not taking our band to Eugene? Not even like half of them? Hard for me to believe. Someone just told me that and wanted to confirm. Anyone else heard this today?

SIAP I'm 10 pages behind and haven't caught up yet but are we not taking our band to Eugene? Not even like half of them? Hard for me to believe. Someone just told me that and wanted to confirm. Anyone else heard this today?

...by the way Neyland2nd2none....who is that girl looking in the 'fridge? I have always wanted to ask.

I just think this will be hard to do. Oregon's longest drive of the year has been a 10 play 75 yd drive that took a whopping 3:08. Whether they drive for a score or punt, it is very quick.

One of the factors in this, imo, is that they get a lot of first downs, which momentarily stops the clock. They average like 9 yards per play, which is moving the sticks alot, thus stopping the clock a lot.

I think the key for us is to get some quick 3 and outs and make them pay with long methodical drives. Getting a few stops early and clean special teams play...we may can hang with them, jmo.

I agree with this, 100%.

I do agree that longer drives limit opportunities to score, but third down stops and turnovers are what are going to keep the points off the scoreboard.

Reactions: 1 person
How do ya'll think we compare to Virginia? They ran the ball relatively well but they got blown out. I figure our lines are much better at least.

Yeah from what I've saw on VQ, it's a financial issue. We have to spend money on 200 (or how many band members there actually are) plane tickets, luggage for the instruments, hotel costs, and stadium tickets. I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm forgetting but it's a steep price and unfortunately we aren't back up there yet. Hope this helps

I agree with this, 100%.

I do agree that longer drives limit opportunities to score, but third down stops and turnovers are what are going to keep the points off the scoreboard.

This, turnovers are critical in any game, no matter who we play. Win the turnover battle and convert them into TD's, not FG's, and we may have a fighting chance. Momentum is critical.

Recent examples are UF vs UM or the NYG vs Dallas game. Results speak for themselves. This is why we have lost to UF, turnovers killed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back