Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No one expects red carpet but we do expect to be able to go watch spring practice," said former UT QB Erik Ainge, who hosts a radio show on Tennessee Sports Radio 1180. Ainge said one time Dooley reached out to him to be his "spin doctor" in the media. "I sat in front of his office with his secretary and we talked for 45 minutes. I knew everybody over there better than he did. His dry cleaning wasn't done properly, so he was making them re-starch his drycleaning. And I just sat there for 45 minutes.

"He made it really hard. Tennessee fans are begging for you to give 'em something to get excited about. It's as much a part of the culture here in East Tennessee as anything. You got Dollywood and UT. He made it really hard even for the die-hards to get on board."

Wow. That's all I can say... Wow.

"No one expects red carpet but we do expect to be able to go watch spring practice," said former UT QB Erik Ainge, who hosts a radio show on Tennessee Sports Radio 1180. Ainge said one time Dooley reached out to him to be his "spin doctor" in the media. "I sat in front of his office with his secretary and we talked for 45 minutes. I knew everybody over there better than he did. His dry cleaning wasn't done properly, so he was making them re-starch his drycleaning. And I just sat there for 45 minutes.

"He made it really hard. Tennessee fans are begging for you to give 'em something to get excited about. It's as much a part of the culture here in East Tennessee as anything. You got Dollywood and UT. He made it really hard even for the die-hards to get on board."

I feel like an idiot for ever having faith in this clown.

Reactions: 1 person

"I've bounced ideas off of him through the years,” Garrett said. “We talked after the season. Essentially I was asking him, ‘What are your plans? What are you thinking about doing? He signed on to do some TV stuff. I think he was interested in continuing to be a college head coach and wondering if that opportunity was going to happen. That was it.”

Haha he was wondering if that opportunity was going to happen. :eek:lol:

From the Feldman article.

"There is just a lot more energy," Richardson said. "The coaches are doing a lot more things that we like. They're playing music. They're chest bumping -- when coaches come with that mentality, you can't help but bring a lot more energy."

One of the points Jones is emphasizing on this day, UT's fourth practice of the spring, is getting 11 men swarming to the ball on defense.

"When you swarm to the ball, you get rewarded!" Jones shouts. "For the next three plays, the quarterback is LIVE!"

That announcement prompts howls from his new team -- although the Vols QB doesn't end up taking any hits on the series. When an offensive tackle uncoils out of his stance before the snap, Jones calls out, "False start. First-and-15! Winning football. Can't happen! Winning football."

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but it such a night and day difference with CBJ and last year's group. Never in 3 years, did I hear of anything like this. Awesome

Reactions: 3 people
I feel like an idiot for ever having faith in this clown.

Same. I remember taking offense when a Bama fan told me in the weeks leading up to the 2011 season that Dooley was our Shula and would never be successful at UT. I thought he was crazy. Then that cold day in Lexington happened...

It seems like my original post concerning A.J.'s linebacker play got a few posters upset. And that wasn't the intention of my post. I merely posted a small paragraph of my opinion of Johnson's LB play, which was basically just a summary of the quotes from the VolQuest article I linked. The VQ article in which UT's current LB coach says himself that A.J. needs to play better next season and make more plays.

I'll be the first to acknowledge A.J. for a good season last year. However, what I'm
stating is, UT needs A.J. to play above just a "good" level if UT is going to get back to fielding competitive defenses in the SEC.

I believe A.J. Johnson led the SEC in total tackles last year as a true sophomore, as well as leading his team (UT) in rushing touchdowns. That isn't a stat-line you see very often. I applaud A.J. for his statistics, but he HAS GOT TO DO BETTER next season. I know he had to play "QB of the defense" for one of the worst defenses in the country and the worst defense in UT's history, but that doesn't take away from the point.

A.J. did his part fairly well. He made the majority of his opportunities to make tackles, but he also had his fair share of misses (something that can be fixed). It is great and I'm certainly not criticizing A.J. for doing his job, because not many UT defensive players could even claim that. However, the problem is very much what ORANGE & WHITE posted. UT fans are getting accustomed to mediocrity.

As UT fans, if we want UT to be playing defense at an elite level again, we need more than a starting MLB that is just "getting the job done". A.J. needs to show improvement in being able to "go above and beyond". Sure, he did a fine job last season, but he needs to make the improvement and progression next year. Mainly in "making plays". He started 12 full games as UT's starting MLB last season and accumulated 135+ tackles. However, out of those tackles, only around 60 tackles were solo tackles. He also had 8.5 TFL, one sack, and one fumble recovery. What I am trying to get across, as well as several other VN posters and even UT coaches, is A.J. can take his game to the next level by making more plays and causing more turnovers. Tackles are nice and they need to be made when they come your way, but; just as Coach Thigpen stated concerning A.J., causing turnovers and making big plays in the backfield are needed to truly help one into becoming an elite defensive player or the leader of an elite defense.

I'm sorry if any posters continue to disagree with me or still don't see my point. I by no means think I know more than any other poster or the UT coaching staff for that matter, It is just my opinion on the matter (which happens to coincide with UT's LB coach). I am a huge A.J. Johnson fan. And with that, I want to see him improve and progress to be the best all-around MLB he can be for UT's defense. He needs to make more plays on the field next season (more TFL, more sacks, more FF, maybe an INT). I hope A.J. makes the proper and necessary strides to be the leader of UT's defense next fall. And I fully expect him to.

Last edited:
MSU game was my last straw, although I had very, very serious doubts after the Florida game.

I actually got to meet Dooley in the summer before the 2012 season... that's most likely why I stood by him so long. I had about a 10 minute conversation and I became a huge fan of his lol.... little did I know.

"I've bounced ideas off of him through the years,” Garrett said. “We talked after the season. Essentially I was asking him, ‘What are your plans? What are you thinking about doing? He signed on to do some TV stuff. I think he was interested in continuing to be a college head coach and wondering if that opportunity was going to happen. That was it.”

i supported dooley until the end. and, agree with u. regardless of my personal feelings for him, our personal feelings...

lets not pile on the guy! please?

Bounced ideas off him? No wonder the Cowboys suck.

It seems like my original post concerning A.J.'s linebacker play got a few posters upset. And that wasn't the intention of my post. I merely posted a small paragraph of my opinion of Johnson's LB play, which was basically just a summary of the quotes from the VolQuest article I linked. The VQ article in which UT's current LB coach says himself that A.J. needs to play better next season and make more plays.

I'll be the first to acknowledge A.J. for a good season last year. However, what I'm
stating is, UT needs A.J. to play above just a "good" level if UT is going to get back to fielding competitive defenses in the SEC.

I believe A.J. Johnson led the SEC in total tackles last year as a true sophomore, as well as leading his team (UT) in rushing touchdowns. That isn't a stat-line you see very often. I applaud A.J. for his statistics, but he HAS GOT TO DO BETTER next season. I know he had to play "QB of the defense" for one of the worst defenses in the country and the worst defense in UT's history, but that doesn't take away from the point.

A.J. did his part fairly well. He made the majority of his opportunities to make tackles, but he also had his fair share of misses (something that can be fixed). It is great and I'm certainly not criticizing A.J. for doing his job, because not many UT defensive players could even claim that. However, the problem is very much what ORANGE & WHITE posted. UT fans are getting accustomed to mediocrity.

As UT fans, if we want UT to be playing defense at an elite level again, we need more than a starting MLB that is just "getting the job done". A.J. needs to show improvement in being able to "go above and beyond". Sure, he did a fine job last season, but he needs to make the improvement and progression next year. Mainly in "making plays". He started 12 full games as UT's starting MLB last season and accumulated 135+ tackles. However, out of those tackles, only around 60 tackles were solo tackles. He also had 8.5 TFL, one sack, and one fumble recovery. What I am trying to get across, as well as several other VN posters and even UT coaches, is A.J. can take his game to the next level by making more plays and causing more turnovers. Tackles are nice and they need to be made when they come your way, but; just as Coach Thigpen stated concerning A.J., causing turnovers and making big plays in the backfield are needed to truly help one into becoming an elite defensive player or the leader of an elite defense.

I'm sorry if any posters continue to disagree with me or still don't see my point. I by no means think I know more than any other poster or the UT coaching staff for that matter, It is just my opinion on the matter (which happens to coincide with UT's LB coach). I am a huge A.J. Johnson fan. And with that, I want to see him improve and progress to be the best all-around MLB he can be for UT's defense. He needs to make more plays on the field next season (more TFL, more sacks, more FF, maybe an INT). I hope A.J. makes the proper and necessary strides to be the leader of UT's defense next fall. And I fully expect him to.

Nothing wrong here.
Bravo_Bravo.gif

Add me to the ashamed list. Oh well, over and done now. On to bigger and better things...

I do love a lot of what is coming out about the teaching aspects of this coaching staff. It really seems like the last one simply couldn't/didn't teach.

Its concerning that they're having to take so much time to teach simple things, but I'm glad they at least have the sense to do it, rather than be stubborn and just let things fester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back