DOOLEY is on ESPN right now!!!!

I have said this before on here, and I repeat. If Hunter, and later Bray, had not gotten hurt in 2011, the team would have probably won 8 games. If they had won 8 games, that defensive staff would still be here, and the 2012 team would have won 9 or 10, and Dooley would have taken us to 3 straight bowl games. The people bashing Dooley, and calling him names would be praising him today, instead of acting like he is the dumbest SOB to ever step on a football field.

Reactions: 1 person
I have said this before on here, and I repeat. If Hunter, and later Bray, had not gotten hurt in 2011, the team would have probably won 8 games. If they had won 8 games, that defensive staff would still be here, and the 2012 team would have won 9 or 10, and Dooley would have taken us to 3 straight bowl games. The people bashing Dooley, and calling him names would be praising him today, instead of acting like he is the dumbest SOB to ever step on a football field.

But, that falls under the, "what if, if only" category, something that did not happen. Dooley almost certainly would be musing today about those, "what if" questions. As it is, he is much richer, but unemployed.

Check out the Fulmer thread, if you think this is bad.

But, that falls under the, "what if, if only" category, something that did not happen. Dooley almost certainly would be musing today about those, "what if" questions. As it is, he is much richer, but unemployed.
Maybe so, but the guy had some horrible luck at a time when U.T. wasn't deep enough to overcome it. The lack of depth was something he inherited. It was not his fault.

Maybe so, but the guy had some horrible luck at a time when U.T. wasn't deep enough to overcome it. The lack of depth was something he inherited. It was not his fault.

That goes back to his predecessOR(s), not primarily the one year vacation predecessor, and something that is a battleground on another thread.

Say what you will but dooley got the last laugh...... all the way to the bank. :eek:hmy: :yes:

Yes, that is the tragedy of it all, not only did he destroy the program but he got paid handsomely to do it. As did his, "partner in crime, so to speak," Mike Hamilton.

Yes, that is the tragedy of it all, not only did he destroy the program but he got paid handsomely to do it. As did his, "partner in crime, so to speak," Mike Hamilton.
I don't think that he destroyed the program. It is a better job today than the one that he took 3 years ago.

I don't think that he destroyed the program. It is a better job today than the one that he took 3 years ago.

That might turn out to be true, the coming seasons will help determine that, but given his SEC record and where the program is in relation to the other schools that have beaten up on UT, even Vandy and KY, not to mention S.C., the program is in dire straits.

That might turn out to be true, the coming seasons will help determine that, but given his SEC record and where the program is in relation to the other schools that have beaten up on UT, even Vandy and KY, not to mention S.C., the program is in dire straits.
I attended my first U.T. game 55 years ago at the 1957 Gator Bowl. I have watched them go down, back up, down, back up, and back down since then. They WILL be back. I am just not sure how soon. The conference is tougher than ever.

I know that I will get plenty of flack for this, but I would like to thank Coach Dooley for taking this job, and starting the rebuilding process. I felt like that whoever took the job would be lucky to last more than 3 or 4 years, because we needed so much to be competitive, and I didn't think that the fans had the patience to ride it out for an extended period. The 2 previous coaches didn't leave much to work with, considering players that were either run off or didn't pan out.

When Dooley had all of his players healthy, and his original defensive staff, he came close to putting a good product on the field. Unfortunately, he just had this for one game. That was the Cincinnati game in 2011. After both year's brutal October conference schedule, the teams were physically and emotionally beat up, and pretty much packed it in.

I don't begrudge Dooley the buyout. That is standard fare with today's contracts. He took a big professional risk that others were unwilling to take , and the University agreed to the contract. Anybody in his shoes would have been a fool to turn the buyout deal down. His players didn't embarrass the University off the field as often as in prior years, and I felt that Dooley was a gentleman and represented us well. Most any coach that we would have had during this time would have had a struggle. We aren't that far away from being respectable. We stood toe to toe with some tough teams deep into the games this year. It is coming together. Please be patient with the next guy. I will support them, no matter who the coach is.

I know that I will get plenty of flack for this, but I would like to thank Coach Dooley for taking this job, and starting the rebuilding process. I felt like that whoever took the job would be lucky to last more than 3 or 4 years, because we needed so much to be competitive, and I didn't think that the fans had the patience to ride it out for an extended period. The 2 previous coaches didn't leave much to work with, considering players that were either run off or didn't pan out.

When Dooley had all of his players healthy, and his original defensive staff, he came close to putting a good product on the field. Unfortunately, he just had this for one game. That was the Cincinnati game in 2011. After both year's brutal October conference schedule, the teams were physically and emotionally beat up, and pretty much packed it in.

I don't begrudge Dooley the buyout. That is standard fare with today's contracts. He took a big professional risk that others were unwilling to take , and the University agreed to the contract. Anybody in his shoes would have been a fool to turn the buyout deal down. His players didn't embarrass the University off the field as often as in prior years, and I felt that Dooley was a gentleman and represented us well. Most any coach that we would have had during this time would have had a struggle. We aren't that far away from being respectable. We stood toe to toe with some tough teams deep into the games this year. It is coming together. Please be patient with the next guy. I will support them, no matter who the coach is.

Dooley was not good at recruiting and coaching. I wish him the best but thank The Lord he has moved on.

Dooley was not good at recruiting and coaching. I wish him the best but thank The Lord he has moved on.
He recruited well enough to have some players declare early for the draft. Didn't he recruit the offensive line that everyone raves about? Didn't he recruit 3 receivers that are declaring early for the draft? Didn't he convince Sentimore to come to U.T.? Didn't he recruit Maggitt and Johnson? Randolph? Coleman? Didn't Dooley recruit Nathan Peterman , who half of Vol Nation thinks is the second coming of Christ? Of course I think Worley will be the man, but didn't Dooley recruit him too? He was Gatorade Player of the Year after all.

These guys do need better coaching, but I think that Dooley has recruited some talent. You will see that Marlin Lane will flourish next year. No, he's not Eddie Lacy, but he has some moves, and will do well with the right scheme. Worley will do well in the short passing game if he is the man.

Plus, there are a lot of young , mostly unproven guys that Dooley recruited, who are waiting in the wings. Meredith, Dallas, Downs, Pig Howard , Q Watson, O'Brien, Kerbyson, Bynum, Crowder....I am sure that I have missed several. Give it time. You will see this team do well in a couple of years.

Are you up for the Dooley Debate Extravaganza??? lol

Not really, that train has left the station. Of course, that could be said of the "other tread" as well. There probably should be a thread of 12,000 or so entries on the shortcomings of MH though. He is definitely guilty of "AD Malpractice."

I think it could be a good project for him. He could at least get it going.

Kennesaw State is close to the mall.. let me see they've built a gorgeous soccer field and the campus is growing by leaps and bounds.. now if they were to build a stadium, even if DD is coach, we'd go to games.. heck we don't live that far away... would be fun having KSU football back!!

Kennesaw State is close to the mall.. let me see they've built a gorgeous soccer field and the campus is growing by leaps and bounds.. now if they were to build a stadium, even if DD is coach, we'd go to games.. heck we don't live that far away... would be fun having KSU football back!!

I think the plan is to utilize the soccer field as the football field (or so I have heard). Many think that was the reason it was built because there was all this hype about bringing in a football team. It's not very big but it might be enough until they can build a stadium. It's gonna be a while before it really gets going, IMO.

I think the plan is to utilize the soccer field as the football field (or so I have heard). Many think that was the reason it was built because there was all this hype about bringing in a football team. It's not very big but it might be enough until they can build a stadium. It's gonna be a while before it really gets going, IMO.

Well, Georgia Peach, we both know size does matter, LOL so with that said the soccer field would work but boy they'd tear that turf up... could go shopping at TowneCenter and then football.. oh my heart.. I feel like I've got the vapors..

And people say that Florida fans are the worst. Take a look around folks we are becoming our worst enemy. Dooley took over a program that no one wanted. He did not get it done in wins and losses. He got fired that should be the end of it. How great would it be if he coached a Jr College and sent players to TN because it is such a wonderful place. But no our great fan will see to it that we have the reputation of being some of the worst.

He recruited well enough to have some players declare early for the draft. Didn't he recruit the offensive line that everyone raves about? Didn't he recruit 3 receivers that are declaring early for the draft? Didn't he convince Sentimore to come to U.T.? Didn't he recruit Maggitt and Johnson? Randolph? Coleman? Didn't Dooley recruit Nathan Peterman , who half of Vol Nation thinks is the second coming of Christ? Of course I think Worley will be the man, but didn't Dooley recruit him too? He was Gatorade Player of the Year after all.

These guys do need better coaching, but I think that Dooley has recruited some talent. You will see that Marlin Lane will flourish next year. No, he's not Eddie Lacy, but he has some moves, and will do well with the right scheme. Worley will do well in the short passing game if he is the man.

Plus, there are a lot of young , mostly unproven guys that Dooley recruited, who are waiting in the wings. Meredith, Dallas, Downs, Pig Howard , Q Watson, O'Brien, Kerbyson, Bynum, Crowder....I am sure that I have missed several. Give it time. You will see this team do well in a couple of years.

sounds like a comparison of Zook to me
didn't he recruit well also?

And people say that Florida fans are the worst. Take a look around folks we are becoming our worst enemy. Dooley took over a program that no one wanted. He did not get it done in wins and losses. He got fired that should be the end of it. How great would it be if he coached a Jr College and sent players to TN because it is such a wonderful place. But no our great fan will see to it that we have the reputation of being some of the worst.

sorry but when you have a top 10 ALL TIME team, losing is not an option. If you think we're bad put Dooley on Bama, UF or any other top program & see what happens

VN Store

Back