Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skeeter 11/29

"If what im hearing this morning is correct, and i believe it is, time to move on from Gruden. No doubt Gruden would inject enthusiasm in the fan base and turn the heads of high profile recruits. But the man is unproven at the college level and simply wants to much control, not to mention the guy is a egomaniac. From what im gathering, its sounding like he feels he should not have to answer to anyone anything football related if he were the coach. That will not happen here. Time for plan b."

Reactions: 14 people
11/29
just because he was a good nfl coach doesnt automatically he is a good college coach. I was hoping it was gruden too,i mean damn we would have probably had 100,000 fans in the seats for the spring game. But its not sounding good and this info is not from a booster. Ive heard all the booster stuff for months.

people are going to blame hart for this, but he can only do so much. Gruden or any other coach will never have full control at the university of tennessee at this current time. Football takes a back seat to many different things at this current time and that is out of harts hands.

golden, fisher, strong, mora, fedora, jones and marrone. I dont understand golden at all, i think he would really struggle here recruiting. Strong i think would recruit great here, would be very important who he surrounded himself with. I think jones could do a great job here as would mora. I dont want fisher, davis, petrino or golden here, but it doesnt matter what i think. Those are just my opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
11/29 11:25

LWSVOL
Quote "IMO there are conditions not yet agreed upon for anyone to put together a draft of a contract , those that have been discussing these items in the background have not resolved these things. So until those are resolved Hart can't look at a drafted contract that Gruden could sign. From everything i've heard, I think the money parts work its some of the control items that are in contenion.

Hart/Gruden will talk about it but others are driving the details.

Maybe this really is happening!

Last edited:
11/29 11:25

Quote "IMO there are conditions not yet agreed upon for anyone to put together a draft of a contract , those that have been discussing these items in the background have not resolved these things. So until those are resolved Hart can't look at a drafted contract that Gruden could sign. From everything i've heard, I think the money parts work its some of the control items that are in contenion.

Hart/Gruden will talk about it but others are driving the details.

Maybe this really is happening!

Who said this please?

Reactions: 8 people
11/29
people wanted more info, well this is the best i can do without giving away my source.

We are still getting gruden.

Golden is interviewing. Just because he's the "first" to take place doesn't mean he's option 2 if things fall through.

Gruden isn't going to screw over the people he's working with now and have arranged to work with in the future. He's a man if his word.

He wants to get the last check from tampa to kind of "stick it to them".

I said earlier that i wouldn't be surprised if this moved into next week or further. Just be patient. These next few days will be telling.

Go vols!

Reactions: 4 people
From VolRumorMill on Twitter about an hour ago:
"Was just told that KPD and UTPD officials are meeting with Athletic Department members about security for coming press conference/coach."

50 min ago:
"I'm not saying the press conference will be today, or tomorrow, or this weekend. All I'm saying is that they are working on security."

Then 17 minutes ago:
"Media room at UT is set up for a press conference"

https://twitter.com/VolRumorMill

Reactions: 11 people
from DocVol:

I'll give you what I have as of 10:32am EST this morning, which was when I heard back from the same close friend by email (I'm out of town currently) who also originally told me about the initial terms/offerings to Gruden around the Alabama and Mizzou games--information that I passed on then and information that has been corroborated since by others.

I emailed him last night asking what to make of this apparently new turn of events regarding most everyone now reporting that Hart has moved on and Gruden is out of the picture.

His response was short but hopefully telling:

"UT has played this perfectly. Even down to interviewing other candidates and putting blatant information out to the media. No need to worry. Everything is still as it should be. Gruden will be the replacement. No timeframe on announcement. I hesitate to say anything is 100% but it would take an extremely large act to mess this up. And if that happens, no way Hart will be able to stay in his current position considering the legwork and extremes that people above him have done to make this happen."

FWIW, he has made it clear he is not a Hart fan previously but still has confidence that even he could not mess this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 31 people
11/29

lws just posted this in response to your same question on vq...

i think less than 5% chance but not dead.

I'm one of those that has never believed gruden is hell bent on anything but the nfl. If he ends up at tennessee i would be over joyed with it. But i just have felt it was a long shot all along, even with all the talk that has happened.

Jmo.. Lot of my friends don't share that thinking and a lot more other people don't as well.

sounds like lws is just like many, he'll believe it when he sees it. But it's clear to him that talks are going on and many people he respects think it's going to happen.

Reactions: 1 person
11/29

originally posted by ron swanson view post
lws just posted this in response to your same question on vq...

Sounds like lws is just like many, he'll believe it when he sees it. But it's clear to him that talks are going on and many people he respects think it's going to happen.

it would take a miracle at this point from what im hearing. This is going to be a circus til the new coach is named.

with cheek and martin here, no one will be given saban type control.

Last edited:
11/29 am

Per Brent Hubbs
Tennessee's football locker room is ready for whenever a new coach is introduced. Indeed, while the Vols' athletics department personnel scrambled during January 2010 to ready to scene for the formal introduction of Dooley, there will be no such haste this time. Multiple sources indicated to VolQuest.com that UT's swank locker room is ready for its next head coach, and multiple VolQuest.com staff members have seen photographic evidence of the room's readiness.

Looks like it's just a case of having it ready for when there IS an announcement.

Reactions: 6 people
More Hubbs on Locker room-
Locker room is set up just in case seems odd. I know they probably had to scramble for Dooleys but to set it up weeks in advance just seems like a lot of hassle for something that could happen "Mid- Dec".

Reactions: 6 people
Mods, please move if in wrong thread.

Little nuggets from last 2 days on STL sports talk (St. Louis' ESPN radio affiliate). The older gentleman is longtime NFL coach, Rick Venturi, who is also a self-proclaimed "friend" of Gruden.

Wed 11/28 - 9:00-10:00 hour 34:38 mark until the end.
101ESPN.com: Audio Player -

Thurs 11/29 - 9:00-10:00 hour 21:58-24:24 mark.
101ESPN.com: Audio Player -

Reactions: 7 people
Vegas odds on who the next Tennessee coach will be:
Butch Davis (3/1)
Larry Fedora (15/4)
Jim Tressel (9/2)
Dan Mullen (5/1)
Al Golden (21/4)
Jimbo Fisher (7/1)

Last edited:
From Thursday:

They say that Jon as a coach would be a challenge because of the twenty hour rule in the NCAA.

The booster/alumni meetings he wouldn't like that. He likes to "grind" tape.

Football is his core. The NFL is the best for it.

If he comes to UT, the expectations are to become Alabama.

Jon can easily coach college kids

Reactions: 4 people
Please summerize, some of us at work can't listen to audio.

Summary of the first one...

Rick Venturi knows Gruden, has no real info but thinks that Grude could pull the trigger because of Cindy. Situation is right for him, if given total control and a really good staff that can recruit.

Second:
Mike Lombardi (?) thinks that he is an amazing coach, but the 20 hour rule would get him upset. Rick and the other host (Zach someone) are questioning if he's willing to 'wear two hats' (coaching and recruiting)

Edit: updated for the second as well now

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Tampa Bay Buccaneers‏@TBBuccaneers
Just announced: Jon Gruden will be among those returning Dec. 9 for the Super Bowl reunion during the Philly game! Full list coming shortly.

Rick Stroud‏@NFLSTROUD
Jon Gruden will attend the Super Bowl XXXVII reunion game vs. Philadelphia, Bucs say.

The day of that game is Sun, 12/09 at 1:00 PM EST

Last edited:
More Hubbs on Locker room.......Locker room is set up just in case seems odd. I know they probably had to scramble for Dooleys but to set it up weeks in advance just seems like a lot of hassle for something that could happen "Mid- Dec". -

This was not Hubbs. This was me speculating about Hubbs verifing the locker room is set up...I edited it in the original forum. I do not want it to be seen as a "Hubbs Quote". Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: 2 people
Being reported on 247 that the holdup is due to Gruden's salary demands. Kevin Ryan reporting Gruden is demanding a salary high than Saban's.

Sorry for comment in here but could we get a brief copy of the report from 247?

"According to a source who spoke to someone with knowledge of the situation, Gruden's salary figure was higher than Alabama coach Nick Saban – who is the highest paid college football coach in today's market." - Kevin Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back