Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are just into getting turned down by coaches aren't they?

Les Miles isn't leaving Baton Rouge.

he aint leaving but Arky likely just made a rival cough up more cash for a coach they already had on contract - not stupid imo - didnt cost arky anything to put the offer out there

Tennessee AD has refused to comment on Gruden situation until coaching search is finished. Good news for Gruden IMO. They passed up the perfect opportunity to deny and let the fan base down easy

There's just no way to let this fan base down easy.

I agree with this, but wouldn't it soften the blow to let the fans know now Gruden isn't happening instead of the fans finding out when a different head coach is named? (If that is what happens)

I know I never post so flame away if you like.

I agree with this, but wouldn't it soften the blow to let the fans know now Gruden isn't happening instead of the fans finding out when a different head coach is named? (If that is what happens)

I know I never post so flame away if you like.

It's the fans on fault who have gotten so hyped up over one Coach. People set themselves up for a huge let down instead just waiting and letting it happen. Now if Gruden isn't hired they will be disappointed with whoever is hired. I'm not saying it won't happen, I have my doubts, but just let the process work itself out. Hart of all people understands how important this decision is but if Gruden doesn't want to come there's nothing he can do about it but hire the best possible person for the job.

"@TonyBasilio: 'I hear Dave Hart met with Gruden yesterday in Tampa. This is really heating up now. I'll still believe Gruden 2 Vols when I see it. #Vols"

If Gruden is not announced this weekend, the deeper we get into December is a good sign IMO.

I kind of agree. If it was a done deal or not going to happen it would be out by now...jmo JG waiting on MNF and NFL regular season to be over to see all options before saying yes or no.

Who picks HC first, Arky, AU, or UT?

My guess -

Arky and AU - early next week
UT - Appears Gruden decision may take longer, mid-December

Waiting until mid December makes no sense. If JG wants to come to the college game then he does not need to wait and judge the NFL openings. He either wants to be here or not.

I firmly believe it's Gruden, but if something falls apart, keep an eye on Greg Roman. He would likely bring Jim Leavitt with him as DC. McKeefery served as Leavitt's S&C coach for years.

Waiting until mid December makes no sense. If JG wants to come to the college game then he does not need to wait and judge the NFL openings. He either wants to be here or not.

It's my understanding that there may be monetary reasons (i.e. Tampa Bay buyout) for him waiting until mid-December to be formally announced.

As far as candidates not named Gruden, Jimbo Fisher seems to be coveted by both Tennessee and Auburn, with the Tigers perhaps having an additional inroad from their previous history with Fisher.

Ditto Butch Davis, but multiple sources indicated there is virtually zero chance of Davis being a factor whatsoever in the Vols' search.

Similarly, Larry Fedora seems to have interest in UT's opening, it was indicated to us, and Fedora could be parting ways in the near future with North Carolina.

Elsewhere, Mike Gundy is a name worth watching. Yes, Gundy is at his alma mater at Oklahoma State, but Gundy had legitimate interest in the Vols' opening when Lane Kiffin was hired and those close to him insist Gundy has an genuine interest in the Southeastern Conference.

And finally, Tennessee could choose to speak to Charlie Strong as early as Friday and certainly in New York next week.
-VQ

Tennessee again hit the recruiting trail hard Tuesday as coaches were stretched across the country. Jay Graham was in the Midstate today as he saw Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Jalen Ramsey. Reeves-Maybin continues to stay solid with the Vols and keeps in contact with multiple commits, including Jason Carr.

Graham is expected to see Riley Ferguson, Marquez North and Derrick Green throughout the rest of the week.
-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Here's what we got this morning....

The response from Tennessee:

"We will not comment. We are not discussing the dynamics of the search till the search is over." -- Jimmy Stanton, Associate Director of Communications

It appears that Tennessee is not going to put any Gruden rumors to bed so they will continue throughout this coaching search.

Why is Tennessee not denying it? Great question. More on that with a theory in a second.

Gruden obviously denied the Memphis TV station report and certainly gave no reason to believe that it was close to him coming to Tennessee. But you could read into it that he didn't completely slam the door on the possibility.

It our understanding that Dave Hart was not out of town last night. He did speak with several commitments and is expected to be in the office for at least part of Knoxville today.

He is heading to New York this weekend where it's believed that he will do the bulk of his interview work.

As for my theory on why Tennessee might not be putting Gruden rumors to bed. Maybe they are keeping that option open that if Hart doesn't like where the search is going next week, he comes to Gruden and breaks the bank to get it done.

Maybe Hart is leaving it out there because it's affording him the chance to do alot of work elsewhere while all the focus is on Gruden.

Maybe he's not putting it to bed because he is trying to get a deal done with Gruden. We still have no evidence that Hart has sat down with Gruden and based on everything we hear and everyone we talk with ...

We have to see it to believe it.
-Hubbs

That news station is going to feel real dumb if that isn't true.

Anyone with a brain knows that isn't true. That would be illegal in so many ways. UT cannot offer a stake in an NFL team because UT cannot and does not own a stake in an NFL team. That news station should be shut down. Typical Memphis garbage.

They just played what Gruden said on Mike and Mike this morning. It did not sound promising to me.

I thought it sounded pretty promising. Sounded like he was non-committal and tried to change the subject before they boxed him in and asked for a complete denial.

I firmly believe it's Gruden, but if something falls apart, keep an eye on Greg Roman. He would likely bring Jim Leavitt with him as DC. McKeefery served as Leavitt's S&C coach for years.

I don't know how he would do recruiting and being a head coach, but Roman is one of the best coordinators in the NFL. I love what he has done with the 49ers offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back