Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few posters on TOS are claiming that Hart is to meet with Gruden today and an announcement will be made in the next couple days. Nothing earth-shattering, but still good to hear.

It's funny why Mike and Mike didn't ask questions regarding the college rumors last week. They instead completely skipped the college portion of the conversation. It seems they intently wanted to be in front of this story.

Gotta be honest, cover up or no, I am bummed about the M&M interview.

First words out of his mouth publicly addressing the situation is that it is not true.

I know this has been done before (Saban), but this is the first time I feel he might not be our guy.

I sure hope he is, but damn...

Even though Gruden stated that the rumor of getting shares of the Browns is false, I can't help but feel that because he didn't say he wasn't coming, that he was just clarifying that we won't get ownership lol Is this true?

Again, semantics. I understand those guys live in that world so no amount of logic will overcome that mindset.

We're in definite agreement that Jimmy has done what is in the best interest for his clients and himself first. Beyond that it it is highly debatable whether those things were in the best interest of the University of Tennessee.

I'll leave it at that.

Im sorry but is Jimmy Sexton a paid employee of the University of Tennessee? No.

He is a businessman (and a damn good one at that) who seeks the best opportunities for his clients as any businessman should... So again I fail to see your point? Jimmy didn't have a crystal ball with Kiffin and didn't put a gun to Hamilton's head regarding EITHER of those hires...

Also the point could be made that if Carroll hadn't left USC and Kiffin had stayed here, we would already be back in the championship contention... Like I said you act like Sexton sat there and knowingly puts coaches in place who will take this program further into the ground? Makes no sense what you are trying to say you're just a bitter fan who doesn't know what they are talking about

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Gotta be honest, cover up or no, I am bummed about the M&M interview.

First words out of his mouth publicly addressing the situation is that it is not true.

I know this has been done before (Saban), but this is the first time I feel he might not be our guy.

I sure hope he is, but damn...

See Urban Meyer as well

I am a hopeless VN addict, but I never comment. However, I've known George Lapides for about twenty-five years through business, so I thought I would add my perspective. Sometime George can be a Big Richard, but I know him to have integrity. He doesn't just makes things up. He was a serious reporter in his day. He may get details wrong, but he doesn't make them up. He is merely relaying what his source has told him, not toying with Vol fans. He's not a trivial man.

Jimmy Sexton has had a regular segment on George's show for years. My best guess is that Sexton is, as has been speculated, indeed his source. However, George has reported on SEC sports since the 1960's and has contacts all over the South, so his source could be anyone. For instance, George has a fifty year relationship with Archie Manning. If Peyton is involved to the degree some have said, Archie could be his source. But I doubt that. I think George's info has come straight out of Sexton's office. We can be sure anything Sexton says at this point has an agenda behind it.

One last point, George has a long relationship with WREG. He had a Sunday television show on WREG forever and he still does occasional sports commentaries for them. Any details Glen Carver got wrong last night likely came via Lapides.

This. George actually had a personal relationship with Bear Bryant and was at Archie Manning's wedding.

I know most think George is a huge Memphis homer (he grew up here), but he actually graduated from UT. He would not purposely mislead anyone. That is not his style. He is a true reporter. He found the minority ownership breakdown of the Grizzlies before anyone else.

Im sorry but is Jimmy Sexton a paid employee of the University of Tennessee? No.

He is a businessman (and a damn good one at that) who seeks the best opportunities for his clients as any businessman should... So again I fail to see your point? Jimmy didn't have a crystal ball with Kiffin and didn't put a gun to Hamilton's head regarding EITHER of those hires...

You have nuts on your chin.

Reactions: 3 people
At the pace these Gruden threads are moving it maybe XV when the official news breaks. Totally impossible to keep up with these unless you stay on all day and night.

It's funny why Mike and Mike didn't ask questions regarding the college rumors last week. They instead completely skipped the college portion of the conversation. It seems they intently wanted to be in front of this story.

Its because Mike and Mike think the whole thing is a joke. they were not legitimately asking Gruden expecting him to give an honest answer.

the whole "10% stake in the Browns" was seen as ludicrous and that's why they made what was essentially a joke out of Tennessee on their show.

I love how media outlets are reporting Gruden said he hadn been offered the Jon on m&m this morning. That's not what he said at all. The national media may not want it to happen, but they can't stop it. Jon Gruden is coming to the Vols, and he is coming SOON.

I'm with Fred on this one. Sexton submits his interested clients to Tennessee. It is up to Tennessee whether to rject or hire those clients. Tennessee has made bad decisions.

Now, if he passed a rumor to Lapedis in hopes of scuttling the Gruden deal so one of his clients can skate thorugh, then I have a problem with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back